Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough
Default Probably a STUPID question but I'll ask anyway...

Has anyone ever gone through a phase where they really just didn't have a desire to smoke any of their cigars?

I mean, honestly, I know this is a cigar board...

But seriously... for like the past month or two I feel just plain robbed of my desire to smoke anything. I can't figure out why.

I have drastically reduced the amount of cigars that I smoke since taking my new job in April and leaving Cigar Retail behind... but I still smoked probably 1 or 2 a day up until about the middle of October.

Since then I can tell you exactly how many cigars I have smoked... THREE.

I still have the same passion for cigars as I did... I know that... but something... something that I can't identify is holding me back. At times when I would normally have said "Ok, I'll grab a stick and step outside and grill some hamburgers." Or "I'll just step outside and smoke just for the sake of burning one." I find myself thinking "Nah, I can smoke one later." OR "Meh, I'm just not in the mood."

Maybe it some stress from the job. Maybe it's trying to find time to spend with my new bride... I dunno. But It's seriously starting to PISS ME OFF! And now it's 30 degrees outside... and for someone who tolerates cold weather about as well as a sharp stick in the eye... this weather doesn't make it any easier to break out of whatever this FUNK is!

Any advice?
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Probably a STUPID question but I'll ask anyway...

Ever wonder why I started smoking Pipes? Exactly this.

You need a few days away from cigars. After that I'm sure you'll feel compelled to relax with one again.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

have you tried getting something new that you haven't tasted?I know building a smoking area in the storage basement helped my I don't wanna smoke in this cold or even travel to the local B&M for a smoke I myself am a knoob to this hobby so advice is not here but suggestions. I sometimes go a few days in between a smoke but months?
Old 12-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

First, there are no stupid questions...only stupid people for asking them

Second, I have had this same problem. It comes and goes. A few months off and you'll be back in the saddle again.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

See how marriage is changing you already?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I know exactly where you are, this same thing happened to me about a year ago with drinking. I drank probably 15-20 shots of top shelf a day for 2 years straight. After so much drinking I didn't enjoy it for what it was, it just became routine. I quit-ISH for a year and came back and now everything is much more enjoyable. What I'm guessing happens/ed is you saturate yourself with something so frequent it is a habit/routine and that's where the enjoyment ends. I'd say take a few months off cigar smoking entirely and come back to it.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Not a stupid question at all buddy.

I've gone through a few phases like this as well. I simply just took a little time off from smoking and focused on other things. Cigars will always be there, they're not going anywhere. Best of luck to you man.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I drank probably 15-20 shots of top shelf a day for 2 years straight.
Easy on the liver...you only have one.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Not a stupid question at all. What we say here is "like what you smoke, smoke what you like." A corollary to that is "smoke when you want if and when you want." Don't worry about it, you just don't have a hankering for a cigar at this time. Maybe you won't until the weather breaks. Maybe you won't until you go to your next herf. Whatever, I wouldn't worry about it. This is supposed to be enjoyment, if you're not enjoying, don't do it. And, don't worry about it. This is also more proof positive that cigar smoking is not addictive.

So, no sweat, my friend! Certainly there is no point to force yourself to light up. Just go with the flow. Sooner or later, you'll be ready to light one up again. Until that time, don't worry about it!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Am sure it just a phase. you have so much going on, you never know.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
auburnfan1980

Jeremy, you're breaking my heart.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Just take a break. A couple days, weeks or months. No reason to force things. Enjoy the holidays with family and see if things change after the break.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
What we say here is "like what you smoke, smoke what you like."
Actually, what's said here is more like: "Like what you smoke, smoke what you like (unless it's a Gurkha)."
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #14
Springsman

You should package up all your stogies and send them to me, I'll adopt them LOL
Old 12-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I've gone thru those phases, also. I think some of it has to do with having a bride, and having a life other than cigars. Priorities change and you re-allocate your time to doing things in order of importance. You don't spend as much time out in restaurants and bars as you once did, but you probably don't think about it, so you don't notice it as much! I smoke much, much less when your mother is around. Since it usually takes an hour or so to enjoy most cigar sizes I have, I usually either don't have the time, or don't want to make the time to smoke when she's home. Also, right now, some of it is based on the season change, and the loss of sunlight time. It's depressing to many folks. I'm not immune to it either. I was smoking 2 or three sticks in the afternoons in early fall, but I haven't smoked a cigar in at least three weeks. It probably won't change til springtime. I'll probably smoke a couple of sticks this coming weekend, cause the temperature is supposed to moderate somewhat, but I won't be sitting outside smoking several sticks until the season changes.

If I smoked in the house, it would probably be different. However, I do not enjoy the smell of stale cigar smoke that lingers in my office (and escapes to the LR and Kitchen (somewhat), so I gave up using the office as a smoking lounge years ago. Too many papers and other absorbers or smoke in the office! And, no way to limit those and maintain it as an office. If I ever reclaim the cabin, install the wood stove, I might smoke more in the winter. However, given the early darkness hours, probably not that much.

Just substitute hugging and squeezing the one that you love, and wait til Spring. I'm sure you'll get no arguments from K!!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #16
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I haven't smoked in 2 or 3 weeks. Too cold outside... I am about to start smoking in the garage tho.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I haven't smoked in 2 or 3 weeks. Too cold outside... I am about to start smoking in the garage tho.
Same Here. I Always Get Excited About Trying A New Cigar I've Never Smoked Before.
longknocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #18
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
See how marriage is changing you already?

X2
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
Darrell

I'm right there. I haven't had the desire to smoke a stick since before my birthday in August.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #20
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Happened to me...took a break and enjoyed them again.