Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #501
TheManWithNoName

Cool Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
a whole half a game... versus Vandy no less, bravo Urban, way to stand up for what's right
"Meyer then spoke to Spikes and determined he was retaliating after getting his helmet ripped off and eye poked earlier in the game. Meyer also talked to Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive, but Florida officials said it was Meyer’s decision to suspend Spikes."

Football's a rough sport gentlemen. Let's not go overboard attacking Spikes - if you want him benched, what about the original offender? You can't make a huge deal out of the small percentage of incidents that show up on film if you're going to allow those that the cameras miss to go unpunished. Sounds like the first guy did the same thing but against a helmet-less Spikes, which was not the smartest decision. Yes it was unsportsmanlike, but no one's going to seriously expect Spikes to go shake the dude's hand after he was grabbing at his unprotected face.

Plus, it did come down to Meyer's decision, and he really has no reason to make some big PR statement out of some minor incident like this.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #502
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName View Post
"Meyer then spoke to Spikes and determined he was retaliating after getting his helmet ripped off and eye poked earlier in the game. Meyer also talked to Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive, but Florida officials said it was Meyer’s decision to suspend Spikes."

Football's a rough sport gentlemen. Let's not go overboard attacking Spikes - if you want him benched, what about the original offender? You can't make a huge deal out of the small percentage of incidents that show up on film if you're going to allow those that the cameras miss to go unpunished. Sounds like the first guy did the same thing but against a helmet-less Spikes, which was not the smartest decision. Yes it was unsportsmanlike, but no one's going to seriously expect Spikes to go shake the dude's hand after he was grabbing at his unprotected face.

Plus, it did come down to Meyer's decision, and he really has no reason to make some big PR statement out of some minor incident like this.

i see ur point
Old 11-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #503
Powers

Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
Y'all won, y'all did not whip anybody's a$$ that day. Give Lane a couple of full recruiting years and let's talk.

scottie
kiffin can have his moral victories. we'll keep the ones that count in the record books.

UF also had a coach once who could recruit but not coach......his name was Ron Zook
Old 11-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #504
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Y'all won, y'all did not whip anybody's a$$ that day. Give Lane a couple of full recruiting years and let's talk.

scottie
I Like Kiffin's Spunk, Scottie! Doesn't Bother Me At All With His "Talk"!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #505
Powers

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
I Like Kiffin's Spunk, Scottie! Doesn't Bother Me At All With His "Talk"!
If he was like Ali and backed it up I could respect him but he has not. As a UF fan I hate FSU and Georgia as well. the difference is I respect Bowden and Richt, I do not respect Kiffin.

He's some d@mn Yankee comin' into the SEC thinkin' he owns the place w/o paying his dues. Of course Meyer is a Yankee too
Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #506
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Did not say you did not win, said you did not whip anybody's a$$. If you think he can't coach then you must not have watched any of our games last year. He is getting more out of less talented players than Fulmer ever did.

Give it a year or two when the talent level gets closer and we can resume the debate.

scottie
It's his father's work of art and not Lane himself. Tennessee's defense is very talented, but who is coaching... I honestly believe it's the coaches around him and not himself... The celebrity of coaches around him is what will drive the recruiting...
Old 11-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #507
Powers

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
It's his father's work of art and not Lane himself. Tennessee's defense is very talented, but who is coaching... I honestly believe it's the coaches around him and not himself... The celebrity of coaches around him is what will drive the recruiting...
Old 11-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #508
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName View Post

so you're saying, if everyone does something wrong, but only a few people get caught, they really shouldn't get punished because someone else didn't??

it may not be cheating if you don't get caught, but he was caught red-handed, and should be punished. Benching him for the whole Vandy game would still be a token punishment anyway since it's Vandy. It's a pretty weak and spineless punishment for what could have permanently damaged the other player. The ends don't justify the means, his intent was malicious, and should be punished accordingly. those are my

you're free to feel however you wish
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #509
TheManWithNoName

Cool Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2009

Quote:
so you're saying, if everyone does something wrong, but only a few people get caught, they really shouldn't get punished because someone else didn't??
In a sense. If he'd be punished for retaliation, then they should go back and find the original offense on tape - they have enough cameras to catch it, it just wasn't on the TV screen. Since it was apparently the same offense, that should be punished too right? But then things get complicated. If you don't punish the same earlier offense, it still supports the "OK unless caught" idea which promotes the behavior in the first place.

Quote:
it may not be cheating if you don't get caught, but he was caught red-handed, and should be punished.
What it comes down to is that the refs and officials saw it, and chose to let it go. They're the ones who make the decisions. We can sit and argue about it 'til the cows come home and it won't make any difference in the world. Good thing it didn't affect the outcome of the game. The dude may have acted in an unsportsmanlike manner, but I'd bet a hefty wager this little incident won't hurt him at all when he's being drafted.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #510
ucubed
Corona Cigars

ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
so you are saying that Florida is good SOLELY because of Urban? I bet Charlie Strong thinks the same thing.
Not solely no. At least with Florida I feel as though Urban Meyer and his team is much more collective, as you can see we are doing alright without him Charlie Strong. I feel Tennessee at this moment is getting by with their defensive end... I have no doubts however in the years to come Tennessee will become a very major contender in the SEC...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #511
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir13 View Post
Im not worried about the GA game, Im just waiting for the SEC Championship Game.
Blah blah blah, Joey, you talk big sh#t and then say you're "not worried about it". Can't have it both ways, Brother.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #512
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

From MSN Sports:

Quote:
ATHENS, Ga. (AP) - A most unlikely person came to the defense of Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes, who was suspended for half a game for apparently trying to gouge the eyes of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey.

Ealey said Tuesday he doesn't believe Spikes should have been suspended.

In fact, Ealey seemed surprised the play from Saturday's game drew so much attention.

Florida coach Urban Meyer on Monday suspended Spikes for the first half of this week's game against Vanderbilt after the defensive captain stuck his hand in Ealey's helmet and appeared to try to stick his fingers in Ealey's eyes.

Ealey says he doesn't agree with those who have said the suspension was not stiff enough.

"That really didn't matter to me," Ealey said of the suspension. "That's their decision. He shouldn't, I think, get suspended at all. We were just out there playing football."

Ealey said he had his eyes closed when Spikes stuck his hand in his helmet and he wasn't hurt.

"He really didn't gouge my eyes," Ealey said. "He really didn't get a chance to get close to my eyes."

The freshman said he believes similar incidents happen all the time.

"I'm pretty sure it goes on back and forth," he said. "We probably do it and other teams do too. It's all football. We're just out there trying to have fun."

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #513
ucubed
Corona Cigars

Quote:
It is all good, man. I feel like our defense has carried us most of the year but our offense is getting better and we are only a good QB and a little better special teams away from being a top 15 team right now. Getting to a bowl game and being allowed the extra 4-5 weeks of practice will only help us improve for next year. At this point last year I would not have given us much of a chance to have a .500 or better record this year, however we are better than our 4-4 record would lead you to believe IMHO. I am sure we are on the upswing and hope to challenge you Gators for the SEC East in the next couple of years. I do feel like we are better coached (be it head or all of the assistants) than we have been in a long, LONG time. Looking forward to hosting you guys next year in Knox-vegas. If any of you travel to the games, let me know as I am sure a herf could be worked out.

scottie
No doubt, you guys will be top contenders very very shortly
Old 11-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #514
Powers

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
From MSN Sports:
Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #515
Powers

Bolivar

Notable Matchups:

South Carolina at Arkansas

Vanderbilt at Florida

LSU at Alabama

where u at Brad? thought u'd be rooting on ur tigers by now!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #516
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Blah blah blah, Joey, you talk big sh#t and then say you're "not worried about it". Can't have it both ways, Brother.
I was just making a prediction
Old 11-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #517
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

From MSN Sports:

Quote:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) - With all the negative attention "weighing heavy on his heart," Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes asked to serve a full-game suspension for apparently trying to gouge the eyes of a Georgia running back.

Coach Urban Meyer obliged, saying Wednesday that it was in the top-ranked Gators' best interest that Spikes sit out Saturday's game against Vanderbilt.

"I really don't want to be a distraction to the team," Spikes said after practice. "I want the guys to prepare without any negative things going on, and I feel like if I would play, it would be a big thing going on. I'm just trying to stay out of the way and just motivate the guys."

Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #518
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
From MSN Sports:
Old 11-06-2009, 04:38 AM   #519
DougBushBC

Sounds like the whole suspension thing was a publicity stunt by the UF Ath. Dept. by doing this, they can "show" that Brandon Spikes is not an off-the-field problem and that he has leadership. Its all about Draft Stock here ladies and gents.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #520
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Whatever.
Closed Thread