Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Rich34
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Rich34 is on a distinguished road
Default Humidor recommendation for someone who can't check on it regularly...

I work overseas and have recently started smoking cigars. I'm away for 4 weeks at a time - I've been through some threads and reckon that beads are the best "leave and forget" option. Would you say that's correct? I'm looking at a 60ct Adorini humidor so I hope the quality is there, but I won't be able to check on the cigars for 4 weeks at a time so I don't want to get it wrong.

Maybe I'm over-stating the importance of getting the humidity level spot-on, but what sort of solution would you go for? Tubes? Beads?
Rich34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Humidor recommendation for someone who can't check on it regularly

Beads work great, you won't regret getting them. Just make sure the humidor is thoroughly seasoned and has a good seal.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Beads work great, you won't regret getting them. Just make sure the humidor is thoroughly seasoned and has a good seal.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

You would be better off investing in a small (Coleman, Igloo, etc.) cooler than a small wood humidor -- especially if you're not going to be around much. Wood humidors require care -- especially inexpensive ones, as the seals are not always good.

In either case, beads will work well for you. But beads will work better in a cooler

A small cooler requires a lot less work and they make great humidors. Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
You would be better off investing in a small (Coleman, Igloo, etc.) cooler than a small wood humidor -- especially if you're not going to be around much. Wood humidors require care -- especially inexpensive ones, as the seals are not always good.

In either case, beads will work well for you. But beads will work better in a cooler

A small cooler requires a lot less work and they make great humidors. Just my

Something like this

Rather than like this

The tight seal is what is crucial. That and some beads and you will be fine.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Rich34
Just in from the Storm

Army (Served With Honor)

Thanks guys! Some great advice there and I'll consider a cooler. I've fallen in love with the Adorini because you can see the cigars on display... Will weigh up my options.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich34 View Post
Thanks guys! Some great advice there and I'll consider a cooler. I've fallen in love with the Adorini because you can see the cigars on display... Will weigh up my options.
While having glass panels on your humidor may seem cool and aesthetically pleasing, it presents additional points of potential leakage.

My advice is to set the humi aside for when you can be around to monitor conditions and appreciate the beauty. Go with a cooler for reliable storage.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Humidor or cooler, if the seals are good, will be no problem over 4 weeks or so as long as the lid is closed. The humidity cannot escape as long as the thing stays shut.

Now the TEMPERATURE, that's another issue.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Humidor or cooler, if the seals are good, will be no problem over 4 weeks or so as long as the lid is closed. The humidity cannot escape as long as the thing stays shut.

Now the TEMPERATURE, that's another issue.
Assuming that the humidor seals well, you are right. However, as Peter noted, humidors with glass, and many inexpensive wood humidors tend to leak...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Get some of Cigarnut's (Michael's) beads.
When you leave and can't look after your humidor, stick the whole deal in a garbage bag and tie it off. Pull out as much slack as you can before you tie it, but don't pull so tight as to poke holes in the bag.
When you get home, unbag your humidor and the RH will be exactly as you left it.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:47 PM   #11
Rich34
Just in from the Storm

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Get some of Cigarnut's (Michael's) beads.
When you leave and can't look after your humidor, stick the whole deal in a garbage bag and tie it off. Pull out as much slack as you can before you tie it, but don't pull so tight as to poke holes in the bag.
When you get home, unbag your humidor and the RH will be exactly as you left it.
This sounds like an excellent summary but all of the advice has been welcome. Will go for a nice display humidor for when I'm home and can pay attention to them, but will store the cigars in a cooler when away. Hadn't given as much thought to temperature as I perhaps should but a cooler is certainly a better option to address that too.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
Rich34
Just in from the Storm

Army (Served With Honor)

Have gone for a bit of a compromise and ordered a Boveda acrylic humidor - the large one. It gets good reviews and looks like what I'm after: low (or no..) maintenance and shows off the cigars. I will set up a cooler for boxes eventually but keep individual cigars - which is all I'm likely to have for the next few months - in this. It comes with Boveda packets but I'll no doubt get some beads for the cooler. Once again - many thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck, Rich!!!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #14
WatchmanUSA
Just in from the Storm

WatchmanUSA is on a distinguished road

If you are going to be gone use Boveda. I would use 2, 320gram packs. You can over Boveda. The RH depends on the humidor type and seal. I probably would go with 69% if it is solid wood. If it has a glass top, maybe 72%. It depends if you live in a wet or dry climate. Go to the Boveda YouTube channel and watch some of their education videos where they discuss selecting the proper humidity level. A Boveda won’t go much over their stated RH level. They will go under if your humidor is leaky or in a very dry climate.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #15
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmanUSA View Post
If you are going to be gone use Boveda. I would use 2, 320gram packs. You can over Boveda. The RH depends on the humidor type and seal. I probably would go with 69% if it is solid wood. If it has a glass top, maybe 72%. It depends if you live in a wet or dry climate. Go to the Boveda YouTube channel and watch some of their education videos where they discuss selecting the proper humidity level. A Boveda won’t go much over their stated RH level. They will go under if your humidor is leaky or in a very dry climate.
Ideal RH is a personal preference. There is no "proper" humidity level. So to suggest 69% or 72% as a target it not necessarily good advice. I know many cigar smokers, myself included, who prefer their cigars in the low 60s.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #16
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Ideal RH is a personal preference. There is no "proper" humidity level. So to suggest 69% or 72% as a target it not necessarily good advice. I know many cigar smokers, myself included, who prefer their cigars in the low 60s.

^^^ myself included as well ^^^...sage advice from an "old sage"...
Old 01-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #17
Rich34
Just in from the Storm

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmanUSA View Post
Thanks Watchman. The Boveda humidor I've ordered comes with Boveda packs in it. I'm not experienced enough to have a preference regarding RH yet so will follow the instructions and see how it goes. I just want the cigars to stay in good condition for several weeks without being checked up on.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #18
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

For an initial set-up that is going to be unattended for an extended period, I would err on the side of caution and go with a slightly lower humidity (well under 70%) as you don't want your cigars to get moldy -- not that your cigars will get moldy at the RH recommended by WatchmanUSA, but it is a possibility.

Why take the chance?

Just my

Old 01-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #19
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Another thumbs up for a coolerdor! And beads. Also, people get very anal about temp and humidity, but it's really not rocket science. In the orient, folks like to keep their smokes at 50%. So, if you stay between 50-75 you should be ok. If you stay close to 65-75 degrees you should be good as well. It's like taking care of plants- there is the ideal way, but coming close to the ideal works just as well! I am away from my house for six months at a time, and the coolerdors keep the humidity close to 65% the entire time. The same can't be said for the humidors, they drop to 40-50% over time.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #20
Rich34
Just in from the Storm

Army (Served With Honor)

Cigarnut, Hotreds - thanks for your comments, will bear that in mind.