Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default The new bold

OK, I am one of those who likes big flavors. When it comes to foods, I love Thai, spicy salsa, and various hot sauces. When it comes to beer, it better have flavor, for example I don't know what Miller Lite means when it says it tastes great - it has no taste - water has more flavor. So, I tend to find myself with porters, stouts, ales, etc...

When it comes to cigars, I have a good friend who complains about the cigars I like, "If you like it, it'll probably knock me on my asterisk." (OK, so that isn't an exact quote, but the essence is there.) This is an issue of nicotine, and that sort of strength is not what is going to follow.

Here's where my question/commentary comes in.

It appears that in an effort to strive to be full-bodied and/or strong, there are cigars out there that acheive such at the expense of smoothness and flavor - if I can say it that way.

There are many cigars with some great flavors which fall all over the mild to full body spectrum. There are a couple cigars which fall in the mild category which have no flavor to them, as I like to say, they are like smoking straw.

But, now it seems to me that there are some full-bodied/strong cigars which don't seem to have much going for them except that fact. I have had a couple recently which were absolute power-houses and people have bragged about them. It wasn't that I couldn't handle them, but they were really one dimensional - strong - and not much in regard to flavor and complexity.

Is it just me? Has the full-bodied/strong crowd passed me by?

Or, are there full/strong cigars out there that don't have much else going for them?

Or, maybe they'll age all right and come around?

Or...(you have another idea)????

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The new bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Or, are there full/strong cigars out there that don't have much else going for them?
There absolutely are, Todd....you are not crazy or delusional.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
There absolutely are, Todd....you are not crazy or delusional.
LFD Double Ligero comes to mind.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I left-handedly broached this same subject - misguidedly, it later appeared - when I asked on an earlier thread about Joya de Nic's new "fuerte" blend. Who the fark wants a cigar that smokes as harsh as a length of jute? Just my , and worth every penny.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
I agree. The one time I had an LFD Double Ligero I found it packed a potent kick...and that was about it. It was like smoking paper.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I left-handedly broached this same subject - misguidedly, it later appeared - when I asked on an earlier thread about Joya de Nic's new "fuerte" blend. Who the fark wants a cigar that smokes as harsh as a length of jute? Just my , and worth every penny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1903A1 View Post
I agree. The one time I had an LFD Double Ligero I found it packed a potent kick...and that was about it. It was like smoking paper.
It is for these reasons that there are thousands of blends on the market. I thought the JdN Fuerte was a very pleasant smoke for a fresh cigar. Not nearly as strong as the Antano. I smoke a Dark Corojo Antano this past weekend and also thought it pleasant and flavorful. Both of these new JdN's will benefit from some down time but neither was offensively strong.

I also like the LFD DL line, depending on the vitola these can have some nice flavors.

For my taste some of the Pepin stuff out there is nothing but strength for strength's sake. But I know many of you love the Pepin stuff.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

I have to disagree with the LFD sentiments in this thread. There are a lot of cigars that I believe sacrifice flavor for strength, but the LFDs aren't one of them. I've only smoked a few but none were short on flavor, and I was actually surprised at how smooth they were despite their reputation.

When reading this thread, the first cigar that came to mind for me was the DPG blue label lancero. I love the look of these but after smoking several now, it just seems like they have no taste at all. still burned the sh*t out of my nose though. total waste of time if you ask me.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

As a LFD HO I may be biased but, I agree with the above two posts. I think the DL line has plenty of flavor and are far from being one dimensional. The Chisel may fall into this a little bit but all the other vitolas are fantastic IMHO. I love the Pepin Blues too but agree that these tend to be more of a powerhouse smoke and can be a bit one dimensional but every now and than they are what I crave. Taste is subjective and I guess that is what's so great about smoking cigars. There is a smoke out there for everyone and part of the fun is trying to find that one smoke that is your end all be all.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I thought the LFDs I smoked some time back had pretty decent flavor as well.

One cigar I was sad to see sacrifice flavor for more power, IMHO, was when they changes the blend on the La Aroma de Cubas.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

I sometimes find myself mistaking flavor for intensity (strength).

i have (like you commented on) smoked strogn cigars that were boring and dull as well.

You are not crazy!!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Now, different palates deal with different flavors in different ways.

Could part of this be palate issues? Inexperienced palates?

Could part of it be that we are inclined not to speak ill of certain blends and/or makers?

I bring this up because I have a couple cigars lately that are supposedly the newest, latest and greatest, only to be disappointed that they were all power and not much in the way of flavor or complexity.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Just like all cigars, some will love them and some won't. I like strong cigars. Some are supposed to be strong and I don't think they are but have great flavor and there are a few that I think are all power with little, true flavor. CAIN *cough cough*
Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I thought the LFDs I smoked some time back had pretty decent flavor as well.

One cigar I was sad to see sacrifice flavor for more power, IMHO, was when they changes the blend on the La Aroma de Cubas.
I couldn't agree more ... They screwed up one of my all time favorites just for the sake of putting "Pepin" on it.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch View Post
I couldn't agree more ... They screwed up one of my all time favorites just for the sake of putting "Pepin" on it.
Went from being one of my favorite NCs to a dog rocket for me, Stitch.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Just like all cigars, some will love them and some won't. I like strong cigars. Some are supposed to be strong and I don't think they are but have great flavor and there are a few that I think are all power with little, true flavor. CAIN *cough cough*
That's one that I was thinking.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #16
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I like the LFD DLs.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #17
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I like the LFD DLs.
I also love the Cain's.

Luckily, there are zillions of cigars out there for everyone
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #18
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post

Does nothing for me.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #19
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

Is it just me? Has the full-bodied/strong crowd passed me by? I don't think so. It can be a lot of factors... temperature, your own pallet, etc.

Or, are there full/strong cigars out there that don't have much else going for them? Yes and No. YMMV on which you consider this, but as an industry whole I don't think that is the case.

Or, maybe they'll age all right and come around? Could be, but then again most NC's have been aged to a certain point.

Or...(you have another idea)???? How long have you noticed this phenomenon? Is it recent? Take a look at things that may have changed in your own life or in your own environment.
Hopefully that helps a bit. I would love to know the factors and timing around this observation of yours.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Originally Posted by RevSmoke

Is it just me? Has the full-bodied/strong crowd passed me by? I don't think so. It can be a lot of factors... temperature, your own pallet, etc. Understood. See below.

Or, are there full/strong cigars out there that don't have much else going for them? Yes and No. YMMV on which you consider this, but as an industry whole I don't think that is the case. I wasn't referring to the industry as a whole, but to just a few brands/makers that seem to be pushing that "strength" envelope.[/i]

Or, maybe they'll age all right and come around? Could be, but then again most NC's have been aged to a certain point. Yeah, I know they have been aged for a while before release, but it is also true that I have seen NCs have some serious change after a couple months and/or years.

Or...(you have another idea)???? How long have you noticed this phenomenon? Is it recent? Take a look at things that may have changed in your own life or in your own environment. I have noticed changes in blends/cigars that I have enjoyed for years, but they are rather subtle. There are some cigars that I enjoyed, but no longer find exciting. Neither of this is what I am asking about. I am speaking of the popularity of new cigars on the scene which tout themselves as full-bodied and/or bold and/or strong cigars. Like I said, I love strong cigars, have for many years. This is something different though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Hopefully that helps a bit. I would love to know the factors and timing around this observation of yours.
I would say that this is something I noticed in the last few (2-3) years. I know that there is a trend in American cigar smoking that the preferred smokes have been getting stronger. I am not talking about a broad generalization of the whole industry, but about a few select brands which I have smoked that make a think about their strength, and in that strength there was not much in the way of "enjoyable" flavors.