Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Kneo
The Second One

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (3)
Kneo will become famous soon enough
Default Burger toppings

Today I did a taste tasting for a new burger place opening here in Des Moines. One of the burgers I had was called Undead Elvis and it was topped with peanut butter and fried bananas. It was awesome and I can't wait for the place to open so I can have it again.

It also got me thinking. What do you top your burger with? I like mine with cheese, miracle whip, ketchup and a fried egg.

What is your perfect burger?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Burger toppings

Cheddar, sauteed mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, mayo and ketchup are my standard toppings. Every now and then I branch out with a gormet burger at a restaurant, i.e. gouda and other fancy stuff, and I'm always disappointed. I guess I'm a simpleton.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Gotta go with sauteed onions, pepperjack cheese, bacon, and jalapeno peppers. Would be curious to try that peanut butter and fried bananas one...
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Son you got some odd tastes, there. Can't say for sure since I never tried it, but that doesn't sound appetizing.
But then I read that you like yours with cheese, miracle whip, ketchup and a fried egg.
Now I get it, lol. I tend towards minimalism in most things like that. I don't keep lettuce around cause it wilts
before I use it. I don't keep tomatoes around because I RACE THROUGH the produce section to get to the food.
I have ketchup and mayo in the fridge, so I take a slice of bread, ketchup and mayo and that's my burger.
Sometimes I will melt some cheese on it, or slice an onion. See, onions I can use to MAKE food, so I keep them
around regularly enough. When I grew up, there was no such thing as a hamburger bun as far as my family knew.
We saw them at other people's house, but for us it was two slices of Evangeline Maid Bread and a patty.

Now being as I am an excellent chef where fire and smoke are concerned, my burgers are still excellent even from
the shameful lack of excess in the finished product. But I wouldn't want to put my burger up against people with
a full fridge.

Last edited by OLS; 07-20-2011 at 06:49 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Sauteed onions & mushrooms, cheddar, and occasionialy bacon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Onions, tomato, lettuce, bacon or sauteed onions, mushrooms, bacon and something with a kick.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

We have a new local place that has a peanut butter, fried banana, and bacon burger. I'm trying that one next. I had to get the surf and turf first with 4 oz crab meat and Bearnaise sauce.

My favorite burgers tend to be simple. American cheese, bacon, and lots of pickles.
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
3SmokesaRound
CCCC

First Name: Bill
Trading: (48)
RA
3SmokesaRound will become famous soon enough3SmokesaRound will become famous soon enough

lettuce, sauteed onions, blue cheese, bacon, and jalapeno peppers
3SmokesaRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Sauteed mushrooms, Swiss, American, a dash of mayo, and avocado on an onion bun.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Mmmm I love swiss cheese, two years at least! Imported!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Swiss, sautéed mushrooms and onions. That or mayo, ketchup, mustard, onions, tomato and lettuce.
Lisa and I have been trying lots of different "gourmet burgers" when we're out. Last night we rode the motorcycles to Whitey's near Brecksville, OH. She got the mushroom burger, I got a bleu cheese baco-burger. It reinforced to me that I don't like bleu cheese on a hamburger, as much as I want to. Odd, cause I love bleu cheese. I don't like bacon on my hamburger, either. Also odd.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I got a bleu cheese baco-burger. It reinforced to me that I don't like bleu cheese on a hamburger, as much as I want to. Odd, cause I love bleu cheese. I don't like bacon on my hamburger, either. Also odd.
I popped in to say there wasn't enough bacon in this thread. And then I read your post about last night's burger--which is actually my favorite way to have a hamburger. Blue cheese + bacon.

I'm also partial to a fried egg (just the egg, not on the bluecheese/bacon burger.) But that goes back to my drunken college days, so it's a reminiscent taste for me.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
Kneo
The Second One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick B View Post
We have a new local place that has a peanut butter, fried banana, and bacon burger. I'm trying that one next. I had to get the surf and turf first with 4 oz crab meat and Bearnaise sauce.

My favorite burgers tend to be simple. American cheese, bacon, and lots of pickles.
The one with crab meat sounds awesome.

When I was younger the only thing I could put on my burger was ketchup. As I have gotten older my tastes have changed and I tend to like more things. I still can't stand tomato though!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
lilcgrsmkr
Ready to smoke

First Name: may
Trading: (0)
lilcgrsmkr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Son you got some odd tastes, there. Can't say for sure since I never tried it, but that doesn't sound appetizing.
But then I read that you like yours with cheese, miracle whip, ketchup and a fried egg.
Now I get it, lol. I tend towards minimalism in most things like that. I don't keep lettuce around cause it wilts
before I use it. I don't keep tomatoes around because I RACE THROUGH the produce section to get to the food.
I have ketchup and mayo in the fridge, so I take a slice of bread, ketchup and mayo and that's my burger.
Sometimes I will melt some cheese on it, or slice an onion. See, onions I can use to MAKE food, so I keep them
around regularly enough. When I grew up, there was no such thing as a hamburger bun as far as my family knew.
We saw them at other people's house, but for us it was two slices of Evangeline Maid Bread and a patty.

Now being as I am an excellent chef where fire and smoke are concerned, my burgers are still excellent even from
the shameful lack of excess in the finished product. But I wouldn't want to put my burger up against people with
a full fridge.

hey..it sounds like you have some stories to tell..
lilcgrsmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
lilcgrsmkr
Ready to smoke

First Name: may
Trading: (0)
lilcgrsmkr is on a distinguished road

favorite burger: from my husbands grill to my stomach..: hamburger with or without cheese, usually with cheese...mushrooms or avocado or both and some type of lettuce lil ketchup and don't forget the french fries or tortilla chips on the side..yum..oh and pickles on the side to crunch on..yum... im getting hungry now..
lilcgrsmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
baddevildog82

BBQ Sauce, bacon, cheddar, pickles, onions (onion rings if available).
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #17
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
I tend towards minimalism in most things like that.
+1. Normally it's just burger and ketchup for me (and sometimes the onion to), though I do use an actual hamburger bun. Last week I tried some A1 on my burger since I was out of ketchup. DAMN it was good. I may have found a new favorite topping.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
When I grew up, there was no such thing as a hamburger bun as far as my family knew.
Obligatory insertion of Eddie Murphy's hamburger joke in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxIYUMxiraE

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #19
Kneo
The Second One

There is a place in New Haven that claims to have invented the hamburger. They flame broil it in Cast Iron gas stoves. They put it between two slices of bread because back in the day they didn't have buns. They also don't allow ketchup, mayo or mustard as they feel that takes away from the meat.

I hope to eat there someday!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #20
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcgrsmkr View Post
hey..it sounds like you have some stories to tell..
Don't get him started.

I prefer mine Carolina style, of course. Mustard, slaw & onions. And I don't like buns. I like thick sliced white bread because it holds all the condiments in while buns let them drip out.