Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
mrreindeer

Default Oscar's..I'll eat Perry's hat if HEATH LEDGER wins

And I'll take a video of it, Perry.

Aside from HATING 'Rachel Getting Married' so much and posting a thread about how Anne Hathaway most certainly does NOT deserve to win an Oscar for that piece of boring trash, I've got another beef (thank goodness I didn't watch more Oscar/Golden Globe nominated movies)....so I figured I'd tell you all about it since I can't get it off my mind and I wondered if y'all felt the same way or not.

And forgive me if you all aren't taken up by all this Oscar madness as we are out here in LaLaLand....hell, mrsreindeer wants to pack in every single nominated flick this weekend alone ahead of the awards ceremony and I told her it's physically not possible.

Soooo.....

HEATH LEDGER....

First, he did a great job with the Joker, that's for sure. I would never say he didn't do a great job. And I liked the movie a lot (I was surprised it was so good, frankly). That's not what my beef is about. But Best Supporting Actor? Really?

Did Jack Nicholson, who also did an amazing job with the Joker, get an Oscar nod? Nope. And he was incredible too. He did get a nomination for the Golden Globes, however, but didn't win the award.

So....here's this guy, who did do a great job in the film but I'm not sure it's Oscar worthy and yes, I was pi$$ed too that he won the Golden Globe.

They're doing this, I fear, to honor his life's work. He won neither award after receiving nominations for the Oscar & Golden Globe for 'Brokeback Mountain'.

So why not give him an honorary 'Lifetime Achievement' award instead of taking the trophy away from other excellent, LIVING nominated actors who can benefit greatly from the win?

This is why I'm pi$$ed. The guy died or killed himself and it's terribly tragic; I'm not trying to imply anything different.

But to put a dead guy in the running with other deserving, living actors who can benefit greatly is almost, in my opinion, like a slap in the face to those other actors.

Is it not?

Last edited by mrreindeer; 02-21-2009 at 02:53 PM.