Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Mother kills intruder with shot gun!!!

I'm with Tom on my initial impression, but if it's all on a 21 minute 911 call then the rest of the story should come out. Or not.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
tx_tuff

Well good for her for doing what she had too, in Texas she could have saved a 20 min phone call and shot him through the door! Hopefully it will have no long term effects on her.

I noticed the picture of her husband being from the 70s also, but hey to each their own.

Coop a shotgun is the best home defense, may be more messing but is much safer then a handgun. Makes even more sense if you have other family members in the house. A handgun is harder to aim and less accurate then a long gun. Plus you miss with a handgun round and it is going through walls and hitting stuff you can't see.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Coop
Ever blow bubbles...

First Name: Scott
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
Coop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
Well good for her for doing what she had too, in Texas she could have saved a 20 min phone call and shot him through the door! Hopefully it will have no long term effects on her.

I noticed the picture of her husband being from the 70s also, but hey to each their own.

Coop a shotgun is the best home defense, may be more messing but is much safer then a handgun. Makes even more sense if you have other family members in the house. A handgun is harder to aim and less accurate then a long gun. Plus you miss with a handgun round and it is going through walls and hitting stuff you can't see.
Want to buy me a shot gun for my birthday????
Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
tx_tuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Want to buy me a shot gun for my birthday????
I think you may know the best place to get one at a good price, and it's not from me
Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Coop
Ever blow bubbles...

SCdlH

Quote:
I think you may know the best place to get one at a good price, and it's not from me
From a Squad car at Dunkin Donuts????
Old 01-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
From a Squad car at Dunkin Donuts????
Hysterical.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:

I would rather use a semiauto pistol myself, I just like the idea of having better maneuverability, and I'm fairly good at shooting pistols, more so than shotguns for some reason(I don't shoot much of my shotgun, only when duck hunting). I understand why the majority of people choose shotguns for home defense though.

Last edited by ChicagoWhiteSox; 01-05-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Coop
Ever blow bubbles...

SCdlH

I'm no expert on breaking into a house, but I have locked my keys in the house and had to break in. Took me about 5 mins to do so with popping the lock open. Now wouldn't it be like 2 seconds to break into a house through a window if you weren't trying to not damage your home???

20 mins to get in sounds like a very long time
Old 01-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
TheCigarNut
Just in from the Storm

First Name: David
Trading: (0)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheCigarNut is on a distinguished road

I am from St. Louis city and to start off - I think people defending their property is not only understandable but a responsibility. Coming from an area where break-ins and murders are fairly frequent I will be the first to say that thinking a criminal will stick their tail between their legs and bolt when hearing a shotgun rack is mislead. Some of the rural areas, maybe even into the suburbs - sure, I can see that scenerio but I personally had someone break into my house on the south side of the city - racked the shotgun and the guy cussed at me and squeezed off 5 rounds through the wall. A professional/desperate criminal has already A) delt with it or B) doesn't care.

In respect to the young lady - do I think it was staged? Absolutley not. Could there be more to the story? I'd put money on it.

From what I have gathered - husband died recently, young man attempts to break into girls residence and was identified as someone who was stalking her. She contacts 911 requesting assistance and essentially 'permission to use dealdy force' if he enters the residence. Man and accomplice attempt to enter ( I think 20 minutes is an exageration unless the 'breaking in' was excessive knocking which turned to shoulder checking, picking the lock, etc ) and 1st to enter is shot upon entering.

I find it interesting more so than 'there is some excessive foul play at hand' - none the less - Hopefully the full 'truth' comes out and I hope those in commonwealth areas are able to defend themselves properly without the fear of prosecution.

Hornchen
Semper Fi
TheCigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Dr Voss

One thing to remember about handguns for defense is that if you miss that bullet is going to go through a fair number of walls before it stops. It could be multiple rooms in your home or your neighbors. Just saying choose your weapons and target carefully, the worst thing would be to miss the bad guy and kill a bystander. IMO shotgun with lead shot or AR-15 with hollow tips are the safest, devastating on a soft target but will rarely penetrate a sheet rock wall. Second choice is a handgun. Best choice, whatever it takes to make the bad guy dead and you alive. Whatever the choice you gotta practice. In the moment you can't be figuring out how to use whatever you have, there are too many other choices that need made in that instant.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Voss View Post
One thing to remember about handguns for defense is that if you miss that bullet is going to go through a fair number of walls before it stops. It could be multiple rooms in your home or your neighbors. Just saying choose your weapons and target carefully, the worst thing would be to miss the bad guy and kill a bystander. IMO shotgun with lead shot or AR-15 with hollow tips are the safest, devastating on a soft target but will rarely penetrate a sheet rock wall. Second choice is a handgun. Best choice, whatever it takes to make the bad guy dead and you alive. Whatever the choice you gotta practice. In the moment you can't be figuring out how to use whatever you have, there are too many other choices that need made in that instant.

Practice a lot. The more the better.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
Coop
Ever blow bubbles...

SCdlH

Hollow tips in a handgun works for me!!!!

Also if I miss my mark, I may miss by a couple inches. Still going to hit the guy in the lung, neck, maybe shoulder if I went to bed drunk off of jack....
Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

20 minutes is an eternity in a situation like that.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
20 minutes is an eternity in a situation like that.
Sure is. It makes you wonder what really happened or what the real story is..