Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
craiggory

Default Famous Signature Series by Garcia Family Robusto

I ordered four of these five-inch beauties online and immediately stuck them into my humidor upon arrival. As an aside let me mention how much I love online cigar shopping. Although there’s nothing quite like the smell and feel of a brick and mortar tobacco shop, there’s also something special about ordering online and waiting impatiently for the packages to arrive at the doorstep. It’s like Christmas over and over…and over. I do most of my shopping at CigarAuctioneer.com. I highly recommend checking it out, but don’t say I didn’t warn you concerning the addictive properties of the site. But back to the Garcia Family.

The cigar was the Famous Signature Series by Garcia Family Robusto. Five inches long with a 50 ring gauge, it’s a nice-looking stogie and I couldn’t wait to light it up. After punching a hole in the cap, I pre-tested the draw and it seemed good, so I began toasting the foot. There was no trouble lighting the cigar and the first couple of puffs seemed to confirm a good construction.

As I smoked, however, I began noticing a bitter taste to the smoke. This is typical for smokers who, out of inexperience or impatience, scorch the foot while lighting, but I had been careful and was pretty sure that wasn’t the problem. Indeed, the bitter taste continued for the first half-inch. At that point the cigar shifted to a nice, even feel and I could pick out some interesting nutty flavors. I wouldn’t call it a creamy taste, but it wasn’t at all harsh. The taste improved as the smoke progressed and continued to burn cool up until the last inch and a half.

The smoke was plentiful and fairly aromatic. The burn was almost flawless, even and predictable. One of the things I loved about this cigar was the aesthetic properties of the ash, which was a beautiful whitish-gray.

Overall, I would call this cigar pleasant and innocuous. It wasn’t flashy or complex, but a good, basic smoke. I will definitely be enjoying the other three in my humidor.

Good Points
■Plentiful smoke
■Even burn
■Pleasant taste
■Beautiful ash

Bad Points
■Could use more flavor
■Starts out a little bitter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05433.JPG (97.0 KB, 257 views)
Old 03-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice
Default Re: Famous Signature Series by Garcia Family Robusto

Thanks for the review.
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

Ty for the review
I smoked a Churchill 7 x 50 out of a box that I received yesterday and after resting till today I used a single flame lighter and did not taste anything bitter but psychological wise I already have it in my mind Garcia = good. I enjoyed the smoked very well, it wasn't as spicy as some of his sticks but the aroma and taste was quite enjoyable, I am glad I have more...
Old 03-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Nice review, Craig.

I agree with you 100% these need much more flavor!

To this day, this might be one of my least favorite cigars. I hope the remaining sticks treat you better.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote