Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Cu-Avana Intenso

Size: 5×50, Robusto

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo

Filler: Peruvian and Nicaraguan Ligero

Strength: Full

Price: Box 0f 20, $59.95

Grade: 8.8

Cu-Avana cigars have long been known for their consistency, value, and mildness. The Natural and the Maduro are both very mild cigars and this left the Cu-Avana line with no real place in the new market of fuller-bodied cigars. And so, the Intenso arrived. The Intenso was created with fuller-bodied smokers in mind, with the filler packed with ligero tobacco. Some have compared this stick to the higher priced Oliva Serie V and the Joya de Nicaragua.

The original Cu-Avana was created by Manuel Quesada, who created a very popular, smooth, and consistent cigar. For the new powerhouse, however, Cu-Avana turned to Nestor Plasencia, the man behind Rocky Patel’s Edge and Sungrown line of cigars, among others.

As a fan of Cu-Avana’s consistency and value, let’s see how the Intenso compares to the Natural and the Maduro. Let’s toast that foot!

Pre-light, 1.8:
The Intenso was a great looking smoke. The dark Corojo wrapper was coated in oils and was very inviting; the banded foot really made the smoke stand out. A roll of the hand revealed some good weight—it was tightly packed and there were no soft spots. The cap was clean and appeared to be well constructed. The pre-light aroma was of tobacco only but towards the foot I pick up a bit of barnyard, which was surprising on a ligero. The cold draw followed the above profile but there was a tickle of spice on the end.

Burn, 1.8:
Clean cut, good toast, and away we go. The draw was decent, a little tight, but I expected it so not a big deal. The medium gray ash layered nicely and held very well. The burn itself became a little jagged into the second third but corrected by the beginning of the final third, as the draw became looser. The temperature on this smoke was very pleasing and the Cu-Avana produced an adequate amount of smoke throughout.

Flavor, 2.6:
The first puff on the Robusto was of solid tobacco. The first third matured with some leather, caramel, and a little spice, not pepper, but close. The second third was lighter in flavor, but still pleasing to the palate with a shorter finish. The flavor profile for this part of the smoke was sweeter, with no spice, and the finish was longer as the smoke began coating the mouth. The final third seemed to trend back toward the beginning of the Intenso—a shorter finish with some pepper on the back of the throat and a continued mild sweetness. This flavor profile was not as complex as I initially expected in the first third, but it was still a nice combination.

Overall, 2.6:
Three dollars a stick is the selling point on this smoke. Cu-Avana cigars are very consistent, very flavorful, and very reasonably priced. They have done well with this full-bodied smoke, and in my opinion it is just that, full-bodied. The Intenso is a bit more expensive than the Natural and the Maduro and it also scored a few points higher. This one is not going to spin your top for complexity, but for a good solid smoke, pick a few of these up and toast the foot–they should be ready out of the gate with no aging needed.

(Total: 8.8)
Old 01-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cu-Avana Intenso

Great review...this stick is tasty as hell...doesn't get the attention it deserves.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

I like the Cu Avana maduros. I heard this is pretty spicy.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Vigiles
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (3)
Vigiles is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. haven't heard of these before, will have to check them out!
Vigiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

These really surprised me. They remind me a little of the RP Edge but without the pricetag.

MCS
Old 01-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

thanks for the review. I like the rp Edge, I will look into these.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

They mabe a bit like the Edge, but I don't think they were as strong. The two I've had so far weren't as strong as everybody makes them out to be. They're not a bad cigar by any means, though.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review, been thinking of getting some of these.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Good, low-cost stick with a nice kick. If you like ITSF or Diesel, you'd probably like these.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote