Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Punch rare corojo magnum

The Punch Rare Corojo is only released once a year and it is the best selling (non Cuban) punch on the market. The cigar is made from Dominican and Nicaraguan tobacco with a Colorado shade wrapper.

The cigar is wrapped in cellophane and once released from the wrapper I see a silky wrapper which is quite dark. The box pressed cigar feels quite hard but the predraw is fine and leaves a mild pepper on my lips.

I taste burned coffeebeans, not very pleasant. I get a bunch of toasty tones, but they all taste burned and even a bit ashy. The ash flavor gets stronger while the toast gets milder.

Halfway I can taste a sweetness through the ash but that's only for a few puffs. After that it is ash that I taste until the finale, where some leather and wood try to beat the ash. But they fail.

The amount of smoke from this Punch is medium, just like the thickness. The ash is light colored and firm. The draw was good but the burn was crooked.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, hell no.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Smoke & ash: 6 / 10
Aroma first part: 5 / 10
Aroma second part: 5 / 10
Aroma third part: 5 / 10
Old 02-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: Punch rare corojo magnum

Thanks for the review. I smoked a couple of these last year and was very unimpressed by them.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:39 AM   #3
bigdawg808

Some years are better than others for the PRC. And in my limited experience, some sizes are better also. I finished a fiver I had of the Rothschild last Thanksgiving and really enjoyed them. Burn, draw, spice and sweetness I was expecting. Bought a fiver of the Magnum recently and they're not even close. Good review. Give the Rothies a try.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have only smoked one of these, and didn't like it very much either. I was at Bluesmoke with Scott and had smoked another cigar before that one and chalked it up to the other one being more powerful and kinda spoiling the flavor of the Punch. I don't think that's the case after reading this. I do like most all the other Punch cigars I have had.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you on this one Ferdie...smoked these when I first started and trying to figure out why?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Ferdie, I buy a couple of boxes of the Rothschilds every fall to carry me through the winter. I have never failed to enjoy them, maybe the size is a factor in taste?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
systm
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (3)
systm has disabled reputation

I've yet to smoke my Champion vitola ( think woam )

but from my experiance (or lack thereof) is that it helps to buy two. either the same vitola or different, and let them sit in your humi for a week or two even if from a B&M it helps get it to what RH/temp your accustomed too

just my 2c
systm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
whodeeni

I gave a torpedo to a guy while i was out in Vegas.
He seemed to enjoy it!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

These are good sticks after about a year's rest. Give another one a shot before you write it off, Ferdinand.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

It had been resting in my humi for more then a year, guess it's just not for my palate.