Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #281
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: St Louis Cardinals Fans Sound Off!

Good game tonight. Great pitching on both sides.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #282
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Good game tonight. Great pitching on both sides.
It was Andy. The ump was much more consistent than last night. I just remembered that Cueto is on the mound tomorrow and I may have spoke to soon
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #283
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I would like to get one win in this series. Leake was decent, but Cueto should be lights out.

Insert quote here.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #284
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Pitching ... Pitching ... Pitching. Can't win them all but not worried about the bats if the rotation and bullpen continue at this level. Boggs has been impressive and consistent ... not used to both at the same time from him ... what's up with that?
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #285
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1500 View Post
Pitching ... Pitching ... Pitching. Can't win them all but not worried about the bats if the rotation and bullpen continue at this level. Boggs has been impressive and consistent ... not used to both at the same time from him ... what's up with that?
I'll take it. I use the pitch FX on MLB TV and according to that he was right on the corners or end of the strike zone the entire time. What is up with the offense just taking strikes and not swinging? I was thinking they were waiting for a good pitch but they were struck out quite a few times looking. I hope this does not swing over to swinging at bad pitches to compensate.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #286
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
What is up with the offense just taking strikes and not swinging? I was thinking they were waiting for a good pitch but they were struck out quite a few times looking. I hope this does not swing over to swinging at bad pitches to compensate.
I've noticed an effort up and down the lineup to get as deep as possible in the pitch count with the starters. I've also seen more than average disagreement with where a few umps are calling strikes.

Discipline at the plate has really paid off for the Cards. That's easy when you're hot. I just hope they can resist the urge to press when those little slumps come along.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #287
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1500 View Post
I've noticed an effort up and down the lineup to get as deep as possible in the pitch count with the starters. I've also seen more than average disagreement with where a few umps are calling strikes.

Discipline at the plate has really paid off for the Cards. That's easy when you're hot. I just hope they can resist the urge to press when those little slumps come along.
Working the count has worked for the Cards this year. You can see the advantage over the Reds' offense the last few days b/c they can't seem to work the count. Hacking at the first two to three pitches doesn't seem to be getting results.

Insert quote here.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #288
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Komatsu looks very promising. He has a veteran approach at the plate. Do you guys think he'll still be on the roster when Carp and Wainright come back?

Insert quote here.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #289
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

Quote:
Komatsu looks very promising. He has a veteran approach at the plate. Do you guys think he'll still be on the roster when Carp and Wainright come back?
Not sure, he had some great at bats. Missed the 14 pitch one but saw him hit Chapman which was nice. Wainright is back, Carp is the one out.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #290
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

thanks for the win, Matheny. He pretty much gave that one away by giving Berkman and Freese the day off. A win given to Cincinnati on a silver platter and the Reds still struggled to pull one out.

Good series guys.

Insert quote here.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #291
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

Quote:
thanks for the win, Matheny. He pretty much gave that one away by giving Berkman and Freese the day off. A win given to Cincinnati on a silver platter and the Reds still struggled to pull one out.

Good series guys.
Yeah.. Good game though from what I saw. Hope Berkman heals up before the opener in St. Louis

I did notice no one knows what to make of Chapman, the ump looked like he was having a hard time keeping up with the strike zone with him. And the Cards just looked silly trying to hit him as well.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #292
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Yeah.. Good game though from what I saw. Hope Berkman heals up before the opener in St. Louis

I did notice no one knows what to make of Chapman, the ump looked like he was having a hard time keeping up with the strike zone with him. And the Cards just looked silly trying to hit him as well.
No offense here, but I think you might have been listening to the Cards broadcast team a bit heavily here. Carpenter got a called strike three that was outside of the zone, but other than that, the zone wasn't that much wider than it has been all day. The plate umpire had a wide strikezone today all around, not just with Chapman. The pitch that the Cards dugout was up in arms about really was right down the middle.
The Cards announcers made me sick when they said that the umpires were caught up in Chapmania and were giving him calls b/c they were fans of his. The Reds announcers are all homers too, but that was a bit overboard.

Insert quote here.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #293
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

Berkman was up in arms not the entire dugout. Why would you listen to the Cards broadcast? I missed that part of the game so I can't say one way or the other. Be happy you all got a win

Quote:
No offense here, but I think you might have been listening to the Cards broadcast team a bit heavily here. Carpenter got a called strike three that was outside of the zone, but other than that, the zone wasn't that much wider than it has been all day. The plate umpire had a wide strikezone today all around, not just with Chapman. The pitch that the Cards dugout was up in arms about really was right down the middle.
The Cards announcers made me sick when they said that the umpires were caught up in Chapmania and were giving him calls b/c they were fans of his. The Reds announcers are all homers too, but that was a bit overboard.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #294
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Berkman was up in arms not the entire dugout. Why would you listen to the Cards broadcast? I missed that part of the game so I can't say one way or the other. Be happy you all got a win
No Reds tv today, so I switched between the Cards tv broadcast and the Cincy radio broadcast. Plus, it's always good to hear what the other team's people have to say every now and again. If I listened solely to the Reds commentary, I'd be drinking the Kool-aid and have already bought my non-existent Reds WS tickets.

Insert quote here.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #295
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

Quote:
No Reds tv today, so I switched between the Cards tv broadcast and the Cincy radio broadcast. Plus, it's always good to hear what the other team's people have to say every now and again. If I listened solely to the Reds commentary, I'd be drinking the Kool-aid and have already bought my non-existent Reds WS tickets.
That is a good idea as it's hard to find an honest voice if you are getting owned by a pitcher like today I also see what you mean about all the Cards heavy hitters sitting the bench. Berkman was out but Mathney said he would have pulled him anyways. The Cards have to stay healthy just like any other team but they are not made of sugar and I'm not sure how it will sit with them if it continues.

Is there a time line on Phillips returning?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #296
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

HUpmann

Berkman has a sore calf and Freese was due a day off. Don't know the story on Beltran ... only heard of couple of outs on the radio. Nevertheless, Molina was the only starter without a hit ... says something about the bench.

From looking at the box score ... hate to sound like a broken record ... the game today looked like it was about pitching. Garcia was awful and Cueto's line didn't look like Cy Young either. Overall, with the good performance from the Reds bullpen, we're lucky the game wasn't a lot more lopsided. Even the ending might have been different if Matheny would have picked someone other than Salas ... that guy hasn't impressed me in a long time.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #297
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
That is a good idea as it's hard to find an honest voice if you are getting owned by a pitcher like today I also see what you mean about all the Cards heavy hitters sitting the bench. Berkman was out but Mathney said he would have pulled him anyways. The Cards have to stay healthy just like any other team but they are not made of sugar and I'm not sure how it will sit with them if it continues.

Is there a time line on Phillips returning?
I haven't heard. He's not on the DL, so I imagine Thursday off (maybe Friday) and we'll see him back.

Insert quote here.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #298
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

Well, this is awkward.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #299
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #300
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

HUpmann

As they used to say at NASA ... "Houston, we have a problem."