Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road
Default Vacation Packing

Me and my family are leaving for Disney Saturday, My question is do you think it would be safe for me to put a cutter in my checked bags or shuold I just clip my sticks before I go???
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Vacation Packing

cutter in checked bags shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Just came back from FL from Boston and had a lighter and clipper and a few sticks in the checked bag. They searched the bag behind the scenes but it was ok. they just leave a little letter saying that they checked the bag, which this can happen to anyone because it's fairly random to check bags.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Most will advise to throw in a cheap cutter and leave your nice one at home.....just in case gremlins decide to eat it.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Cutter in carry on is no problem, let alone in checked baggage.
I take my cutters with me all the time in my computer bag pocket that goes on board with me.
They are not looking for cigar cutters. They are looking for box cutters. Now God forbid they should stop and think for a moment that a cigar cutter split in two generally becomes two box cutters.

Nope. Not on their list of liquids, gels, or box cutters.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Scott...just returned from Alaska and cutters in checked baggage wasn't an issue at all. Enjoy the trip brother!!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #7
jdakine
Sawadee

First Name: Jay
Trading: (34)
Partagas
jdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura about

On long trips to Asia, I place my cutter in my checked bag, domstic I place it in my carry on, no problems to date. Have a great trip
Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #8
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice everyone
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Are you going to Disney World or Land? If you're going to Disney World and you get to Downtown Disney at some point, look for Fuego by Sosa Cigars on Pleasure Island. It's a pretty cool cigar bar...might be a nice place for you to catch a few quiet moments for yourself and a nice stick
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

so now that the cutter packing issue has been addressed, the question is: What cigars, and how many??

Have a great trip!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
Wanger

Cutters checked or carryon shouldn't be a problem.

There is a Sosa shop in Downtown Disney, as well as Fuego. I will say that the prices there can be fairly high. When we're visiting family down there, my preference is to go to Corona Cigar. MUCH better prices there than what we have here in MN. And a HUGE selection.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I carry a cheap gulllotine cutter and cheap ligher in my carry on and put my better cutter my torch in my checked bag (I put the cutter in my shaving kit and the lighter in a sealed container).

I have been doing this for years and have never had a problem.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
I carry a cutter on in my carry-on bag 45-48 weeks a year as I rarely if ever check my bags. Sometimes I have 2 Palios and a Xikar slimline in my backpack. I have never even been questioned. Checked baggage should not be a problem.

scottie
Scottie,
Just remember, they are looking for those pesky box cutters.
Someone really messed them up badly by changing the word box with cigar.
When they reference their cheat sheet, they don't see any mention of cigar cutters on there so therefore, they are OK.

It is basically an outcome of a process driven organization with blinders on, specifically following the process that has been set forth for them, with no concept of individual thought. Now go ahead and try to get over on 3.1 ounces of liquid as opposed to 3. That there my friend my get you shot.

You ever notice that on the liquids or gels, they use to allow 3.5 ounces but not it is 3? They must all fit in a one quart zip lock bag. Going back to the "process" discussion, you can fit as many 3 ounces of the same thing you want in a one quart bag and that is OK. If my math serves me right, that is a whole lot of 3 ounces you can fit in one bag. That is OK yet God forbid you try to get over with 3.1 ounces of one container only. I find it funny but sad.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

I have carried a cutter and a torch lighter in my carry on many times. Last time I was leaving Miami they confiscated the lighter. It had been through their airport many times before. Luckily, I have many more. In my checked bag I have never had a problem.

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmokin View Post
I have carried a cutter and a torch lighter in my carry on many times. Last time I was leaving Miami they confiscated the lighter. It had been through their airport many times before. Luckily, I have many more. In my checked bag I have never had a problem.
The one time I tried to bring a torch in carry-on they would not let it pass. Fortunately, they let me mail it home. They had a USPS kiosk right there at the security station. Cost me $11, but it was a special lighter so it was worth it.

BTW, the lighter was drained of fluid/gas so they should not have cared about letting it on the plane, but you can't argue with a bureaucrat... They did not seem to care about how many regular lighters or matches I carried on....

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #16
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmokin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The one time I tried to bring a torch in carry-on they would not let it pass. Fortunately, they let me mail it home. They had a USPS kiosk right there at the security station. Cost me $11, but it was a special lighter so it was worth it.

BTW, the lighter was drained of fluid/gas so they should not have cared about letting it on the plane, but you can't argue with a bureaucrat... They did not seem to care about how many regular lighters or matches I carried on....
Torch lighters on a plane are a no no.
That includes carry on and checked luggage.
Torch lighters in checked baggage can be OK if stored in a proper container approved by FAA.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Torch lighters on a plane are a no no.
That includes carry on and checked luggage.
Torch lighters in checked baggage can be OK if stored in a proper container approved by FAA.
I understand the rules, I just don't think that they make much sense. An empty lighter regardless of what kind of lighter it is, is not a danger (especially since you cannot bring any fluid/gas on a plane to fill it).

Regular lighters or a quantity of matches can cause the same damage as torch lighters... (it's all fire)

Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I understand the rules, I just don't think that they make much sense. An empty lighter regardless of what kind of lighter it is, is not a danger (especially since you cannot bring any fluid/gas on a plane to fill it).

Regular lighters or a quantity of matches can cause the same damage as torch lighters... (it's all fire)
Michael, I think its a combination of 1. they cant always tell a lighter is empty, and 2. while they are both fire, the torches burn WAY hotter than a regular flame... Im pretty sure I could use my Blazer for welding!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Michael, I think its a combination of 1. they cant always tell a lighter is empty, and 2. while they are both fire, the torches burn WAY hotter than a regular flame... Im pretty sure I could use my Blazer for welding!
Now add to what Moe said that if you take an empty lighter, and in those 3 ounces or less containers you take some lighter fluid, that you are then able to fill while in flight, then you have a problem.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #20
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Got some room in the suitcase for me Scott? Never been to Disney.