Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Smartphone mount for car

I'm looking into getting a car mount for my iPhone to use when traveling. I've seen some pretty inexpensive magnetic mounts ones, like WizGear. What mounts are y'alls using and what are the strengths and weaknesses in your experience?
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Smartphone mount for car

+1. I am looking for a good magnetic charging mount for my iPhone X.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I’ve been using this one for more than 2 years now.
iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Universal Phone Holder Amazon link

It’s been solid. The mount has held up the whole time without replacing the sticky pad that holds it in place. The arm extends out far which was a key feature for me.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I use one of these, not this particular one but these are all basically the same. I have no issues with it, it doesn't move around, I'm limited in my Z where I could mount a phone, I should have moved it an inch to the right (TWSS), the adhesive is very good .. hence why I can't move it now.

I have zero complaints with it.

I would have gone with one that clips to the Air vent but again in my car that just wouldn't have worked.

AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
That thing is way too big for my phone.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Years ago I tried so many and wasted my money. One day I realized all the work cars had mounting systems from one company. I've not bought a mount for anything except from them since.

Ram Mount.

I have several. All of which are still in use as much as 10 years on and then some. Don't let the old suction cup thing fool you. I can mount mine to my winshield and shake the entire vehicle without it coming loose.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #7
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post

It’s been solid. The mount has held up the whole time without replacing the sticky pad that holds it in place. The arm extends out far which was a key feature for me.
I use same one ^^^^
Old 05-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I have this in my car: https://www.amazon.com/Kenu-Airframe...u+phone+holder
It works great! The vent slots in my car are horizontal.

We have this in my wife’s car: https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Holder...t+phone+holder
However, the vent slots are vertical in her Toyota and the weight of the phone sometimes causes it to flop from side-to-side

We also have this for the iPad: https://www.amazon.com/iKross-Smartp...p+holder+mount
This is great for road trips where I want to see a larger map.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
dave
Have My Own Room

Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

My wife uses Logitech magnetic mount - clips solidly to vent -- and she absolutely loves it, had it for probably three years now. I was a little taken aback by the price at the time - I think around $40 -- but it was well worth it.
I got the cheap crap from Amazon and my phone flies off all the time - usually onto the passenger floor -- and always at the most inopportune times
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #10
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

I've been using this for about 2 years with no issues....mounts to vent and easily movable/transportable...magnetic with an unobtrussive piece that fits between my slim leather case and the I-phone X....and it's 5 bucks via prime...

https://www.amazon.com/FOSTO-Magneti...ds=fosto+phone
Old 05-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
dave
Have My Own Room

Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
I've been using this for about 2 years with no issues....mounts to vent and easily movable/transportable...magnetic with an unobtrussive piece that fits between my slim leather case and the I-phone X....and it's 5 bucks via prime...

https://www.amazon.com/FOSTO-Magneti...ds=fosto+phone
Looks like a heck of a deal. No issue with the clips on the vents? That's where mine have gone south....fall off the vent when I look at them wrong
Old 05-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #12
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Looks like a heck of a deal. No issue with the clips on the vents? That's where mine have gone south....fall off the vent when I look at them wrong
I haven't had any issue at all...swivels fine too....nothing special about my vents that I know of....used with Iphone 7, now the X...both with an Apple leather case so not bulky or heavy....
Old 05-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
dave
Have My Own Room

Partagas Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
I haven't had any issue at all...swivels fine too....nothing special about my vents that I know of....used with Iphone 7, now the X...both with an Apple leather case so not bulky or heavy....
Old 05-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #14
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

...and vent I'm using is a horizontal vent if that makes a difference
Old 05-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #15
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

This works perfect for me: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #16
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post

I love the design on this one, it worked well for me to position the phone where I needed it better than a vent mount.

I will add however, get the genuine iOttie version!! Buddy had one, I liked it, so I saved a few bucks and got the 1/2 prize ebay knockoff. Worked great. For 6 months. Now it's in a landfill. Moral of the story, get the real deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
+1. I am looking for a good magnetic charging mount for my iPhone X.
I really like the simplicity of the magnetic mounts. Downside to magnetic for many phones is the weight. My wife had a non-magnetic phone, and just stuck the magnet in the back of her case.

Long story short, her phone weighs a ton now!

But it is slick.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #17
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
My wife uses Logitech magnetic mount - clips solidly to vent -- and she absolutely loves it, had it for probably three years now. I was a little taken aback by the price at the time - I think around $40 -- but it was well worth it.
I got the cheap crap from Amazon and my phone flies off all the time - usually onto the passenger floor -- and always at the most inopportune times
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-One-...one+car+holder

Just Received This. Wasn't Sure It Would Work With My XL iPhone 7+ In A Big Leather Case, But It Holds It Very Securely! I'm Impressed!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:10 AM   #18
LeoChandler

As far as I know, you can use even the budget option, they all perfectly fulfill their function
Old 07-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #19
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

As far as you know, no one here knows that you are a badly programmed bot. You fulfill the function of warning to others perfectly.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote