Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 12-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Too many beans-Storage?

Well, I got swamped with beans for Christmas. Any tips for storage? Open the bags or store them in airtight container in the bags? Cold dark place, fridge, freezer?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:24 AM   #2
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Too many beans-Storage?

Coffee bean's two greatest enemies are air and moisture. Ideally, coffee should be ground, brewed, and consumed quickly to obtain the best flavor.
Coffee beans are at their peak within 24 to 72 hours after roasting and begin to quickly loose their fresh flavor after that (within a week, most of the original flavor will have deteriorated). Most experts recommend grinding your beans as you need them and storing the whole beans in an airtight container at room temp. if they come in a sealed bag keep them in it until you open them and then transfer them to an air tight container.
Posted via Mobile Device
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

What he said - no air, light or moisture.

Airtight (glass jar/sealed lid) fresh coffee can go in the freezer for months - never freeze or refrigerate in anything except glass. Allow to warm back to room temp before reopening, if possible, to avoid condensation.

Otherwise, storage airtight/cool/dark when possible (ziplock baggies in a not-hot cupboard are fine) for not more than 2-3 weeks before using.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I store my beans in mason jars, in a kitchen cupboard.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:21 AM   #5
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Tazziedevil is on a distinguished road

Just increase your coffee consumption
Posted via Mobile Device
Tazziedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

do NOT put them in the freezer, or the fridge. Store your coffee at the same temps you would store your cigars...

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
muziq
Local Artard

Trading: (4)
ERdM Army (Served With Honor)
muziq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
do NOT put them in the freezer, or the fridge. Store your coffee at the same temps you would store your cigars...
Huh? Please share links or info on this. Goes against not only other suggestions in the thread, but everything else I've read or heard.

Caveat: I've doubtless not heard or read everything on this topic.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziq View Post
Huh? Please share links or info on this. Goes against not only other suggestions in the thread, but everything else I've read or heard.

Caveat: I've doubtless not heard or read everything on this topic.
I own three caffes... this comes from experience, not reading. Also, my coffee roaster happens to be one of my best friends and echos this thinking.

Have you ever seen a coffee house, roaster or retailer keep thier beans in the fridge or freezer?

Moo might disagree with me on this point, but this is my opinion after working in the caffe business for over 25 years and my

Then again, Im also the guy that firmly belives in aging your roasted espresso beans for a wonderfully smooth espresso with a chocolate finish. So take my advice with a grain of salt I guess.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
...Have you ever seen a coffee house, roaster or retailer keep thier beans in the fridge or freezer?

Moo might disagree with me...
I often disagree with myself - but I often road test conventional wisdom, too. So! Several years ago, after roasting, cooling, mason-jarring and freezing a couple varieties of beans, I came back to them 3-4 months later. (This after a member of alt.coffee performed and reported on the same activity.) The beans re-warmed to room temp (stopping off in the fridge for a couple of days) in the sealed jars and began outgassing CO2 right where they left off before hitting the ice. A few days later they ground and drank like fresh roast. So, that is that. One test by me duplicated the results of another.

I give this test a big "So what?" As you note above, professionals don't do it... and why should they bother? It's WAY safer to store green beans. I don't do it either. Did it once and never have had a reason to do it again. I guess I could roast a three-month supply of coffee and drink off of it for months but I like to change things around every week or two. No point to storing roasted coffee for me. Also, what if the freezer craps out?

But for someone who is swamped with months worth of beans in weird holiday circumstances? Fill glass jars to the top, seal tight with gasketed lids and freeze it. It'll probably drink the same come July. Hobbiests 2-cents.

Try it. Draw the third conclusion!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Hardcz

OR! Someone who has a cold ass garage, with weather in the teens or lower for 6 months out of the year who can't get his air popper hot enough could do this too...
Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
OR! Someone who has a cold ass garage, with weather in the teens or lower for 6 months out of the year who can't get his air popper hot enough could do this too...
Is that an offer to use your garage for coffee storage??? Good luck trying to heat it this week...
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
darb85

I use one of those foodsaver bags for mine. works great!