Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation
Default Kauai, Hawaii - Recommendations?

May be heading to Kauai in early April for some R&R with Grace. We're staying in the coconut coast area if that means anything.

Just looking for some insight, recommendations on hidden gems, etc.

Not going to be golfing but we love to snorkel and go hiking. Want to take in some non-touristy cuisine too.

Have car. Will travel.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kauai, Hawaii - Recommendations?

We just got back from Kauai. It's worth a visit to the Kauai Coffee Company and the Koloa Rum Company. Both have free samples, and the Koloa dark rum is awesome. As far as cuisine, we rented a house and cooked most of our meals, but I can't visit Hawaii without going to Duke's. Their seared ahi is second to none.

Oh, and there's a Kauai Cigar Company, but their stuff was way too overpriced for me to even want to grab one to try.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

I will second the Koloa Rum it is great, I still have a bottle of the dark that I brought home. Tunnel beach is great for snorkeling on the north side of the island and poipu is great on the south side. I found that turning over rocks will bring lots of fish your way...
Old 12-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Hamura's Saimin Stand, Lihue. Best saimin in the islands.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

Red hot mamas is a very small burrito stand that was great also a great shrimp truck by bubba burger (dont remember the name). Kauai revealed was a great resource book that the wife and I used. It tells you all the great things (Restaurants, beaches, and things to do) that you might other wise miss. Here's the link for the guide book: http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauai.html

Last edited by Angry_Pirate; 12-12-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Add link
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Moe, I think, has been there a few times and has met a few CA brothers..maybe he can chime in.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting this. We are going to be there for a few day in mid-January. It looks like a beautiful island. I'll let you know if we stumble onto anything that really catches our eye.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

My only recommendation is that you take me with you!!

Ive only been to Maui, Oahu, and the Big Island. My understanding is that Kauai is the least touristy, but also the locals are more likely to give you "stink-eye".

I would recommend "Ulitimate Kauai" by Wizard Publications... They were absolutely invaluable to me during my trips to the islands...Hidden Gems, Places to Eat, Lodging, etc... as a matter of fact, dont buy one... I'll make sure Santa brings you one for Christmas!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Vin you are one lucky dog! Kauai is one of my favorite places to go. Lindsay and I stopped there on our honeymoon along with Maui (I know very cliche a honeymoon in Hawaii). I've also visited the island one other time. It's really a beautiful, lush, and green island. When I pictured Hawaii in my mind before I ever got there this is what I pictured. Maui was much more brown (sugar cane fields), overly developed, and touristy.

Like everyone else, I had a fun time visiting the coffee plantation. The best part is being able to sample all kinds of different coffees in the gift shop before buying any. Kona coffee is delicious!

Speaking of delicious . . . here are some restaurant recommendations:

Beach House - if there is one restaurant on the island that you MUST go to it's this one. Call ahead and make a sunset reservation. The whole back of the restaurant is glass sliders and it looks out over the ocean. At sunset, this is one of the most incredible views you've ever seen. The food's great and the "top shelf" mai tai is an addicting drink. Brink your camera and your appetite!

Brenneckes - this is a fun little restaurant. Very relaxed atmoshpere and very casual. Good food.

Roy's - This is a restaurant chain on the west coast and there are several locations in Hawaii. Excellent asian fusion food kind of like Blue Ginger in Wellesley, MA if you've ever eaten there.

Casa Di Amici - You wanted a hidden gem? Well this place defines it. It's in the middle of a residential neighborhood not far from the beach. The food is EXCELLENT. The menu has some italian food but also some meat & potatoes type dishes. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Duke's - This restaurant is attached to the Marriot which is where I stayed on my honeymoon. My wife and I ate at Duke's one meal almost everyday. It's a very casual place with surfing memorabilia on the walls. GREAT fish tacos and they have an ice cream pie dessert that's very good. I think it was called Hula Pie.

Kountry Kitchen - A little greasy spoon restaurant that's great for breakfast. Eggs, pancakes, all your breakfast favorites and for the island priced reasonably.

Let's see a few other things about Kauai . . . the best hotel on the island is easily the Hyatt in Poipu. In fact, I would definitely recommend staying in Poipu in general. I found even when I stayed at the Marriot I ended up driving to Poipu a lot. Defitely do not stay on the northern side of the island. It's the rainy side and gets more precip than anyplace else on earth. It pretty much rains everyday there whether it's for 20 minutes or several hours. The south side of the island gets very little rain.

If you change your mind about golfing . . . try the Kauai golf challenge. Basically, you play 3 courses (Princeville, Poipu Bay, and the one at the Marriot) for the price of 2. The price includes cart and a discount in each of the pro shops. The Prince course at Princeville was easily one of the most challenging and visually interesting courses I've ever played.

It's an island everything is EXPENSIVE especially in the hotel. Hit up the Wal-Mart or local supermarket and stock up on bottled water and snacks to save some cash. Also, use LOTS of sunscreen and reapply often I got a pretty bad burn when we were out there because I never reapply and the sun is so strong.

The first time I went, I really enjoyed an ATV tour of the island. A helicopter tour was fun too. There are some areas not reachable by car that are really something to see. A lot of movies have been filmed on the island and you'll recognize some of the spots.

That's all I can remember right now. If I think of anything else, I'll post again.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Wow - so much good stuff here. Keep it coming guys.

As an aside, we're staying in Wyndham timeshare - full kitchen facilities in our unit, so while we'll definitely be dining out some, we don't have to break the bank every meal.

Is there an LCDH there?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Is there an LCDH there?
Naw, Kelly's place is on Maui

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Wow - so much good stuff here. Keep it coming guys.

As an aside, we're staying in Wyndham timeshare - full kitchen facilities in our unit, so while we'll definitely be dining out some, we don't have to break the bank every meal.

Is there an LCDH there?
Looks like the Wyndham is a little north of where the Marriot. Basically, it's on the other side of the airport. Plenty of shopping nearby and centrally located so not a far drive to Poipu in the south or Princeville in the north. Not that the island is that huge anyway.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post

Roy's - This is a restaurant chain on the west coast and there are several locations in Hawaii. Excellent asian fusion food kind of like Blue Ginger in Wellesley, MA if you've ever eaten there.

Defitely do not stay on the northern side of the island. It's the rainy side and gets more precip than anyplace else on earth. It pretty much rains everyday there whether it's for 20 minutes or several hours. The south side of the island gets very little rain.

Roy's started out as one restaurant in Hawaii, it's a shame he turned it into a chain. He does great things with cuisine but quality is lost with any chain IMO. I think all the Hawaii locations are still top-notch though.

And regarding the north shore, I guess that shows different strokes for different folks. I think the north shore is the best part of the island. It's the rainiest part in the world up high in the mountain, not the whole area. Breathtaking scenery and I could marvel in it all day long.

Quote:

Is there an LCDH there?

Funny guy Vin, I think your travel humi would beat any LCDH.

The only thing I might add is if you like key lime pie (that tart flavor), you must find a Lilikoi pie. It's a local fruit also called passion fruit and there are a few local joints that sell a mean pie.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Ask about the Secret Falls. It is amazing. Ke'e beach is very relaxed. Take one of the boat tours of the Northern Shore..some of them include snorkeling. Very much worth it!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Loved my time in Kauai, though we didn't do much besides hang out at the resort(Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club).... Poipu Beach is really nice. We did go to Waimea Canyon, Kalalau Lookout & Tunnels Beach...but most our time was spent at the resort with a beer and I smoked a fair number of cigars watching the time pass. You said you were not planning on golfing, but I thought I would mention that we did, Kauai Lagoons Golf Club, which was great. Though since I always golf at 4200' give or take, golfing at sea level is humbling.

Dinners at the Beach House http://www.the-beach-house.com/ & Tidepools (restaurant in the Grand Hyatt Kauai) were memorable. I would recommend at least a dinner at each if you can, get reservations at sunset.

As MikeyC mentioned above, Brenneckes is a cool place. We spent quite a bit of time there, it was just a short walk from where we were staying and I enjoyed their atmosphere.

As far as the Kauai Cigar Co., your results may vary.... Though I have seen positive reviews, I wouldn't pay $1 to smoke another.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35844

I thought cigar pricing in general was VERY expensive on the Island, as was about everything.

It is a wonderful place, ENJOY!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

Go on the movie tour. So many great films have been shot on Kauai - Jurassic park/raiders of the lost arc. Yes it is total touristy but, it is still fun and you get a nice look at different parts of the island. They show you clips of the movies in motor coach and then take you to the spot where they were filmed. If you love movies and want to start your trip with a little island orientation I recommend it. Copter ride is also very cool. Great place – wise choice. Have a great time.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #17
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Don't forget to get a Puka Dog. The place is in a shopping area in Poipu Bay.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Reviving this thread 'cause I'm thinking about going soon. Anyone have any beachfront accomodation recommendations? Trying to avoid spending a mint but definitely want somewhere with the beach literally steps outside of my backdoor.

Thanks gents!
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Reviving this thread 'cause I'm thinking about going soon. Anyone have any beachfront accomodation recommendations? Trying to avoid spending a mint but definitely want somewhere with the beach literally steps outside of my backdoor.

Thanks gents!
My wife and I and our 8mo old daughter stayed here with another couple and their young son. It was with in 5min easy walking to a kiddy lagoon, great body surfing beach, as well as good surfing and the best snorkeling(fish wise) on the island. I was not in charge of paying for stuff, but if I remember it was pretty reasonable and a Big Save is about 15min drive away.

http://www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-co...ai-villas.html

It worked out really well as there was a nice sitting area where we had a cigar every night, and could trade off with the ladies watching the kids on and off as we played around in the ocean or chilled with the kids.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I don't have any recommendations since I've never been, but I'm bookmarking this thread since I'm getting married there in September
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote