Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #361
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: (Official?) Pocket Knife Discussion Thread

I have no experience with them. Can't say much other than opinion based stuff. For $300 they seem kinda plain. :/ it's definitely got the materials though. With the smooth titanium slabs traction seems scarce.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #362
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough

Picked this up at Wal-Mart on clearance for $19

Sweet little knife so far im digging it
Old 10-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #363
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

My daily carry is a Spyderco Police with combo edge. I love the big thumb loop, makes one-handed opening a breeze. Unfortunately I caught it on something a couple weeks ago and ripped the clip off of it and haven't gotten around to ordering a replacement clip.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #364
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippi3Slay3r View Post
Picked this up at Wal-Mart on clearance for $19

Sweet little knife so far im digging it
I like the Kershaw knives, especially for the price. I have 2 and they have both been great knives.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #365
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
Heard great things about them from some military friends of mine but what do you guys think?
Posted via Mobile Device

I told you what I thought already. $300 waste of money.

http://graymanknives.com/satu.html

This one is slightly better.....

But again, get a damn Strider for like $50-$75 more.

I agree with Wolfman, it's plain and all smooth. I don't see it being used for what it's intended to.

That pivot is weaksauce too. Especially for a knife of that cost. It's supposed to be built like a tank, but instead it fails and will develop blade play if put to any hard use task.

They also look entirely too blocky....I can't imagine that being comfortable.

In the future if they work out a few things I could see them being able to carry a $300 price tag, but not right now.....not when Striders are $50-$75 more and a XM-18 is $100 more.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #366
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post

I told you what I thought already. $300 waste of money.

http://graymanknives.com/satu.html

This one is slightly better.....

But again, get a damn Strider for like $50-$75 more.

I agree with Wolfman, it's plain and all smooth. I don't see it being used for what it's intended to.

That pivot is weaksauce too. Especially for a knife of that cost. It's supposed to be built like a tank, but instead it fails and will develop blade play if put to any hard use task.

They also look entirely too blocky....I can't imagine that being comfortable.

In the future if they work out a few things I could see them being able to carry a $300 price tag, but not right now.....not when Striders are $50-$75 more and a XM-18 is $100 more.
from what i can find a new strider is 100 more and i cant even find a new xm-18, but used ones are like 600+. If we are going to compare prices its new to new. i dont want someones used knife.

and pivot pin aside, a xm-18 and strider is illegal by length in michigan. I also dont carry a knife for a fashion item. so it being smooth and blocky means nothing to me.

The strider is nice though, the xm-18 is a resounding hell no. I might want to spend some money on a knife but i havent lost my mind.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #367
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

Just picked up a Kershaw Needs Work.. Sweet little knife. I noticed myself leaning way towards something with a assisted open, even after toying with a few others that weren't assisted open. I guess I just like having it, having that nice snap at the end of opening. Any ways, I saw these at Gander mountain for $45, but ultimately settled for the one at Wal-Mart for a mere $34 plus tax. Not a bad pick up. Can't wait to put it to work over the weekend.

If you click here, you can see the knife!!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #368
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Just a Gerber Paraframe for me. ~3 years old now..

hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:20 AM   #369
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Just reviewed this Canal Street Cutlery Sunset Smooth Bone Trapper in my blog!!

TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #370
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Hi, my name is Francis, and I'm an addict.

Fortunately my addiction has been tempered by both a lack of funds to pursue it, a preference for things that go bang, and some VERY picky requirements for an EDC knife.

First, my strongly held dislikes:
1) I don't like liner lock knives of any kind. They just don't feel good to me.
2) I don't like any of the auto/assisted opening knives I've tried (SOG, benchmade, S&W). I just don't feel "in control" when using it. It also makes for a longer closing motion.
3) I LOVE AXIS lock / ARC Lock / whatever special TM name a particular manufacturer wants to call it, I love it dearly and would be hard pressed to find something that words better for my hands and use.

Side note about the AXIS style locks - I generally feel like I can open it just as fast as an auto, and close it as fast as it opened. Just pull back on the lock to release all tension on the blade while simultaneously imparting just a tiny bit of momentum with your wrist and it's open (don't forget to release the lock button just as quickly as you pressed it so the blade stays open). Same exact motion in reverse to close. Most people that see it in action are convinced it's an auto knife, and some ask if it's legal

I know that list is pretty restrictive, but I've learned what I like over the years

So what do I carry? Couple things. Been a benchmade fan for a number of years, ever since an ex-gf, under the wise guidance of my best friend, gave me a full size Griptillian 550SBK for my birthday many years ago. I managed to hang onto it for many years, but eventually lost it.

At one point when a friend saw my Griptillian, he liked it and got himself a mini-griptillian. I really like the fit of the mini. The blade was almost as big, every bit as functional, but the handle seemed like it was 50% smaller and less bulky. Sheeple don't recoil from it as much. So when I eventually lost my full size one, I ran out and got a Mini-Griptillian 556SBK. She's well used after 3 years of daily carry, but I'll get another just like it tomorrow if I lose it. (although I've debated getting the 557SBK tanto blade). As an added bonus, the blade clocks in just under 3" and avoids any legal trouble. Takes a very sharp edge and holds it for a while (but not as long as I would like).

My second daily carry knife is a small fixed, weak side backup / utility / pry bar. (photos below). Local knife maker, don't remember their name. 90% of the time I carry it in a kydex sheath at the small of my back, weak side draw. So comfortable I can't feel it, even if I'm laying down. I also have a second kydex sheath tied into an imitation mercharness for the occasional days when belt carry is not an option. Fixed blades are much easier to clean, so this is what I use to cut up food or other messy tasks that I would rather not get inside my folder. This is also the knife I hand to other people, because I don't care if they're careless with it. It's thick and built like a TANK, bu my only complaint is that the grind doesn't take a good enough edge, its never really "sharp". But its sturdy and maintains its medium edge damned near indefinitely without sharpening.

I also own a SOG Mini-Vulcan which I love, it feels amazing in your hand and opens like butter, but I found that I could not carry it effectively. It features a deep concealment pocket clip that hides more of the knife in your pocket.... but that feature also meant when I gripped the top part to pull it out QUICKLY, I wasn't getting my fingers chocked up close enough to the center of the knife. I was pulling it out by the top edge, and in a rapid deployment, the blade coming out added to that imbalance and jeopardized my grip on it. Once it was out however, it melts into your hand like it was made for it!

Fixed blades have become a fascination and the "want" list is way too high. Some day I would love to own a Busse, although I suspect that INFI steel, while very good, is part hype.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #371
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

used, abused and loved!

I have relatively small hands, so the mini-griptillian fits perfectly.

shown next to the fixed blade utility /backup for size comparison.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #372
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Belt sheath - I reversed the belt clip so that it would ride higher.

Sits at the small of my back, sheath slips behind the belt, doesn't print at all under clothing. I'm not a big guy, so anything bigger starts showing up under the clothing.

Hollowed out some paracord and made a mercharness style shoulder harness. very small and thin.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #373
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

On a side note, if anyone is looking for a decent quality but inexpensive fixed blade knife to keep in the car, one of these might do the trick. they both seems to be discontinued and on sale. I don't own either... but they both seem decent.

CRKT Crawford Kasper Dragon Combat Knife 4.5
http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CR2010KN/ black
http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CR2010/ satin

Ka-bar Peter Janda Fin Drop Point Tactical Knife
http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Janda-Fi...=3GFRZP1FUBBJC
Old 11-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #374
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

ok it wont fit in my pocket but it means business and goes along my back attached to my belt.

as you can see even got my name and last 4 engraved into it for free.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #375
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

My knewest acquisition......Canal Street Cutlery American Chestnut Half Moon Trapper:

TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #376
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

So... I know these aren't pocket knives... but I stumbled across this website and can I just say... all you blade heads... prepare for salivation... yes, salivation... not salvation. salivation... check out the goods.

http://zombietools.net

Anyone ever ordered one of these?

I want The Deuce so bad I would almost spend the money to get it.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #377
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Interesting site, ninja. I like that the Duece has a little thicker steel than most of the ones before it. Not that .204 inch isn't sufficient. But .25 has a better sound to it for the heavy work of zombie control!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #378
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

They do look cool, haven't heard anything about them though. I think I'd have to do some research and see how they compare, or don't, to Busse, Swamp Rat, ESEE etc before ordering one.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #379
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
So... I know these aren't pocket knives... but I stumbled across this website and can I just say... all you blade heads... prepare for salivation... yes, salivation... not salvation. salivation... check out the goods.

http://zombietools.net

Anyone ever ordered one of these?

I want The Deuce so bad I would almost spend the money to get it.
You can't tell me this guy doesn't look just a little creepy, psycho, and maybe 1/4 of the way towards zombieville already?

--------------------------------------------------

Busse can be a little pricey.... BUT what you get is definitely top top grade steel.

zombietools makes some cool looking stuff... and I'm guessing its pretty damned durable too. But I think you're definitely paying a little more for the fancy looks and marketing that goes along with it at the cost of quality. For the same price, another maker could probably produce a blade with more fineness and a grade or two up in steel quality.

That deuce looks damned cool. I'm sure it would do the job wonderfully and look kickass mounted somewhere.

I do tend to favor something a little more maneuverable however. Hallways, quick stabs, but long enough to get a little reach and gain a little momentum in open air swinging. Likewise balanced right as to allow for very quick and precise cuts, as opposed to the brutally effective (IF it hits) cleaving of the deuce.

Sadly, all of the following knives are obtainable... for a price, and were much cheaper if purchased first hand from the manufacturer at the time of production and availability.

For the same general money I would probably buy the Scrapyard Scrapizashi $320 .... not so pretty, but more finesse than the duece. I saw a great youtube video of the thing being bent 180 degrees - didn't break, and returned about 90% to form. That's quality that I don't think the zombietools would be able to match.

If it was at all affordable, I would gladly jump up to the Swamp Rat Rodent Waki $550 .... there's videos on youtube of this thing chopping down trees and then being shaving sharp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRnVY...eature=related

And of course you double that to get INFI steel, but I think the Waki hit's the sweet spot.
Busse AK47 $1150
And frankly, if I was spending that much, I would get a Busse Gladius (see below)

Now, if money were no object, this is what I would get. Hands down, the end all be all sword for me! It's a thing of beauty!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...yoteBrown1.jpg
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...8Sneak-Peek%29
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUSSE-COMBAT...item3a6b5aaa4e
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3740/gladiusv.jpg
Had I that kind of disposable income and I ever saw it for sale at that price, it wouldn't even be a question
The Satin finish would be my prefered finish. not as tactical as black, but its just too damned pretty on that gladius!
I'm not a big guy & I've got small hands, so I could wield the gladius two-handed with great finesse or brutal chopping, while maintaining the ability to use it one handed in a pinch.

Finally, I don't think I've ever seen a bigger single group of blade p r * n in one set of photos than right here. Yes, I realize he's a dealer, but still this guys set of blades is incredible.
http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/sh...on-Customs-etc...

Last edited by spectrrr; 12-06-2011 at 02:36 AM.
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #380
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

This thread had been far too quiet for too long... Any one pick anything nice up?

I recently bit the bullet on this beauty... Best folder I have ever held...

Anyone that is waffling one a CRK knife, stop now and go get one, it will be the best knife purchase of your life.