Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default HDTV conversion question for DirecTV customers.

I have a standard definition TV with a standard box in the bedroom.

I have High Def in the basement, and therefore have the HD satellite dish from DirecTV.

I bought another HDTV for the bedroom. Can I order the HD box from DirecTV and just hook it up to the current wire (along with the necessary HD TV attachments), or do I need a different wire run to the bedroom?

I couldn't find the definitive answer on their website, although they imply that I can. Tried calling, held 15 minutes and was cut off.

Anyone definitively know the answer? Thanks for any help. I am off to hockey, I will check reponses and answer any follow up questions later.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HDTV conversion question for DirecTV customers.

if you are talking the coax cable from the wall that the other receiver is WORKING with then it should just be a swap of the reciever and hooking an HDMI cable to the tv. if the other box is having problems with that cable run then it could get more complicated.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemorestick View Post
if you are talking the coax cable from the wall that the other receiver is WORKING with then it should just be a swap of the reciever and hooking an HDMI cable to the tv. if the other box is having problems with that cable run then it could get more complicated.
No problems with the current box, Warren.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Barrythevic
Just another FOG!

Trading: (2)
Barrythevic is on a distinguished road

If you have a regular receiver, not a DVR, then it will have a single coax antenna feed.

The HD receiver should come with a dongle to interface with the coax antenna feed. The dongle is used to be able to switch the dish to the HD satellites.

If you get a DVR, then you will need two coax feeds from your dish. That will allow you to record one program while watching a second one.

Enjoy!
Barrythevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

This is a pic of the back of Directv Samsung HD receiver (no DVR). Should just be a simple plug & play I would think.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrythevic View Post
If you have a regular receiver, not a DVR, then it will have a single coax antenna feed.

The HD receiver should come with a dongle to interface with the coax antenna feed. The dongle is used to be able to switch the dish to the HD satellites.

If you get a DVR, then you will need two coax feeds from your dish. That will allow you to record one program while watching a second one.

Enjoy!
So in other words, Barry, the one coax cable won't be sufficient with a DVR, and I will need to run another wire through the walls/floors in order to watch and record different channels? If so, I probably need the company to come out for the install?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
So in other words, Barry, the one coax cable won't be sufficient with a DVR, and I will need to run another wire through the walls/floors in order to watch and record different channels? If so, I probably need the company to come out for the install?
Yes Tom, to watch and record different channels you'll need separate cable runs, one into each tuner on the back of the DVR
Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Thanks Vic, Kelly, Barry, Warren and all.

Spoke to Directv, and decided I can live without the DVR in the bedroom, was looking at $199 for the DVR and $49 for the service call. They are sending me a HD receiver for free, and I can install it myself without running wires.

$0 fits much better into my year-end budget than $248.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

There is also the option of adding Directv's whole house DVR service as well. 1 DVR in the system and you can watch recorded programs on any tv with a Directv receiver. I have that at my fathers house.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten...logy/wholehome

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
There is also the option of adding Directv's whole house DVR service as well. 1 DVR in the system and you can watch recorded programs on any tv with a Directv receiver. I have that at my fathers house.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten...logy/wholehome
Looks like that wouldn't cost me any more than a service call with the equipment I will have, plus $3 more bucks a month. Thanks, Kelly.