Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #41
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Would you guys keep on the lookout for Short Story Maduros?

Just called a local B&M who usually carries a bunch of Fuente stuff and one of the few local retailers who have an OpusX account to ask about the SS maduro. He spouted off some stuff about that "only being a Christmas release but we have the WOAM's in stock, we're the only people who have those in and you should really try those" (so he obviously hasn't heard of them and it being an IPCPR release)

That's great, but do you have any of the Short Story Maduros?

"Oh, well no we don't have any of those in but if you want we have full boxes of the WOAM's and you're not going to find these anywhere else."

Have I mentioned I stopped going to this B&M a while back because it's run and owned by a real asshat? I was going to break my boycott of them for the SSM's, but since they don't have them I don't have to
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #42
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

The WoA maduros seem available with a quick search

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #43
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah...this guy either a) seems to not know anything or b) was just lying to my face so I'd buy cigars at his store.

I'm going to lean towards a) with a dash of b) considering he didn't even know about the SSM's release in line with IPCPR. Even after I told him that and that it wasn't Christmas he was still trying to sell me the WOAM.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #44
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Probably a combination of many things.
I was grinding on it, and came up with what you said up there. It's hard to believe that they didn't push up production because the proliferation and availablity was almost instant.
I agree that the onslaught of htf/le's is probably cutting into their act, as well. Add poor timing into the increased production, htf/le's, and slogging economy, and that'd leave lots of opii and anejo on the shelves.
Then when they're always available, they're no longer special and the artificial shortage of supply/mystique model goes to hell. That's going to be tough to rebuild, if it can be. It's a shame.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #45
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Honestly I think that Fuente's top shelf and limited production cigars being more easily available would help their sales. OpusX, Anejos, seasonal maduros...all their higher end stuff doesn't suffer from image, it suffers from availability. If there are more available (as long as quality remains the same) the opinion of the cigars isn't going to change as to how good they are. However, the fact that people can get them at normal prices (and not inflated super-rare prices) will be a benefit I think.

Just look at what happened with the Tatuaje T110's and the Fausto line. Pete didn't take away from the T110's rare/LE status by producing more, but instead using the same blend created a new line with different sizes. Everybody who went apesh*t over the T110's were ecstatic to learn that they would be able to get regularly produced cigars of that blend.

IMO, if regularly produced high end Fuente smokes were readily available, I'd be happy about it. But that's just my opinion
Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #46
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Honestly I think that Fuente's top shelf and limited production cigars being more easily available would help their sales. OpusX, Anejos, seasonal maduros...all their higher end stuff doesn't suffer from image, it suffers from availability. If there are more available (as long as quality remains the same) the opinion of the cigars isn't going to change as to how good they are. However, the fact that people can get them at normal prices (and not inflated super-rare prices) will be a benefit I think.

Just look at what happened with the Tatuaje T110's and the Fausto line. Pete didn't take away from the T110's rare/LE status by producing more, but instead using the same blend created a new line with different sizes. Everybody who went apesh*t over the T110's were ecstatic to learn that they would be able to get regularly produced cigars of that blend.

IMO, if regularly produced high end Fuente smokes were readily available, I'd be happy about it. But that's just my opinion

I agree that it'd be great if their high end limited stuff was more readily available. I have definitely been an Opus whore in the past, but when the taxes went WAY up here in MN, I had to go to other sticks, though I still love a #4 or PL when I can find them. However, that's not my point....

One of the reasons those sticks (Opus especially) is (if I remember correctly) that the tobacco used in them is grown in a small, limited area of the farm. The is why the limited quantities. It allows them to keep as much consistency in the tobacco as possible. Obviously, there will be some variance year to year in the characteristics of the tobacco, and the sheer amount that they harvest, which can affect the availability of the cigars after they're rolled.

In reality, though, the only ones who truly know are the Fuentes. All the rest of us can do is pull theories out of our collective @$$es. LOL
Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #47
OHMatt
Klugs gave me Gurkas

First Name: Matt
Trading: (2)
HdM
OHMatt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Until I saw your post I assumed he was talking about WOAMs, perhaps even Ol' Moki doesn't have a SSM in his collection.

Thanks for the link, I'll be watching the B&M for these.

-Matt-
OHMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #48
thegoldenmackid
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
thegoldenmackid is on a distinguished road

Here's the deal...

Fuente released the Short Story Maduro this year, much like last year's 858 Sun Grown release.

Retailers were given an opportunity to purchase one box of Short Story Maduros, if they bought then boxes of "regular" Fuente product. (Last year, one box of 858 Sun Growns for 20 boxes of "regular" product.) To be clear, it's not buy ten boxes get one free, it was buy ten boxes, have the opportunity to buy one box. The reason Fuente does this is to make it fair for everyone to get some, regardless of your standing, Opus account, etc.

There were 1,200 boxes. I've seen the number of 1,000, honestly have no clue where it came from. Everyone I talked to before, during and after the show said 1,200.

As to why Tampa Sweetheart's didn't get any... Despite a Fuente relative owning TS, Fuente, like last year, told them that in this instance they are treated like any other shop, i.e. they need to buy their ten boxes. Last year the rumor was that they didn't partake in the 858 Sun Grown game partially out of protest, but who knows. Like I said... that's a rumor.

Some shops got more than others, but many that have had them have sold out. These have been released and if you are trying to figure when your local will be getting them in, you need to talk to someone who knows when the next Fuente order is supposed to be in, as they are just shipping with retailer's next order.

As for the OR Short Story Maduros... Those came from CFCF 2000, less than 100 believed to be given out.

Tobacco Locker might have a box left, but they could already be sold out, and they haven't even gotten them in yet. Atlantic, Tobacco Grove, Tower Cigars, Buckhead, Tobacco World, 2 Guys — all worth trying. I know Smoke Inn sold out and I presume Holt's is probably going to be impossible to get in.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #49
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Turns out I don't need to look for these anymore

Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #50
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenmackid View Post
Here's the deal...

Fuente released the Short Story Maduro this year, much like last year's 858 Sun Grown release.

Retailers were given an opportunity to purchase one box of Short Story Maduros, if they bought then boxes of "regular" Fuente product. (Last year, one box of 858 Sun Growns for 20 boxes of "regular" product.) To be clear, it's not buy ten boxes get one free, it was buy ten boxes, have the opportunity to buy one box. The reason Fuente does this is to make it fair for everyone to get some, regardless of your standing, Opus account, etc.

There were 1,200 boxes. I've seen the number of 1,000, honestly have no clue where it came from. Everyone I talked to before, during and after the show said 1,200.

As to why Tampa Sweetheart's didn't get any... Despite a Fuente relative owning TS, Fuente, like last year, told them that in this instance they are treated like any other shop, i.e. they need to buy their ten boxes. Last year the rumor was that they didn't partake in the 858 Sun Grown game partially out of protest, but who knows. Like I said... that's a rumor.

Some shops got more than others, but many that have had them have sold out. These have been released and if you are trying to figure when your local will be getting them in, you need to talk to someone who knows when the next Fuente order is supposed to be in, as they are just shipping with retailer's next order.

As for the OR Short Story Maduros... Those came from CFCF 2000, less than 100 believed to be given out.

Tobacco Locker might have a box left, but they could already be sold out, and they haven't even gotten them in yet. Atlantic, Tobacco Grove, Tower Cigars, Buckhead, Tobacco World, 2 Guys — all worth trying. I know Smoke Inn sold out and I presume Holt's is probably going to be impossible to get in.
Exactly. All a guy can do is ask around and hope to get one the waiting list, or keep a close eye as to when your shop's orders are going out.
1200 boxes doesn't sound like much, but honestly it's enough that we should all get a taste. Finding a stack of them is highly unlikely, but stumbling onto a box or half a box is a good chance.
I'm just trying to be patient.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #51
n3uka
Feeling at Home

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
n3uka has disabled reputation

Hit a local shop and they said they have some on order but expect to go quick. No reserves but he will send an email out when they arrive.

Any thoughts on what they are going for? This guy is normally a little high so would like to have a baseline to use. If I catch it right will try to pick up what I can.
n3uka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #52
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Was at the local B&M today, they had a box...picked up 2.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #53
kickerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3uka View Post
Hit a local shop and they said they have some on order but expect to go quick. No reserves but he will send an email out when they arrive.

Any thoughts on what they are going for? This guy is normally a little high so would like to have a baseline to use. If I catch it right will try to pick up what I can.
roughly $5.50-$6.00
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #54
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Gentlemen, I am smoking one of these right now that kickerb bombed me and holy crap...it is awesome. Sweet, chocolatey, smooth and awesome. Thanks again brother
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #55
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I got a call yesterday and I'm supposed to have a box on the way. I'll wait impatiently till it shows. Funny how tough this has been, a 1200 box run is not a small amount of cigars, I've found far smaller runs a lot easier.
I'm not sure distributors dig the "buy ten boxes of fuente product and you can buy one of these" angle. I'm sure there's a lot that have no clue about them.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #56
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I need to be on the lookout for these. They sound like something right up my alley.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #57
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I checked out the local B&M's this last weekend and no one had these. A couple of them had not even heard of them... (I did pick up some WOAMs though )

Where did you find them online?

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #58
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I checked out the local B&M's this last weekend and no one had these. A couple of them had not even heard of them... (I did pick up some WOAMs though )

Where did you find them online?
I got them at Tampa Humidor, but it was via being put on the list a few weeks ago. Then I bought five boxes of cigars off of them, sweetened up the girls, and agreed to buy all the SSM boxes they got in.
They had lots of requests from regular customers and I'm very fortunate that they were gracious enough to let me in on this. I have no idea what I paid, either, I just asked that they keep my cc info on hand and send me whatever they could. Everyone I dealt with seemed like truly wonderful people, and I'm looking forward to dealing with them in the future.
I'd love to go visit them next time I'm down that way, too.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #59
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Still looking for a box of these to put away. If you guys see anything, please give me a shout.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #60
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

I just won a fiver of the Arturo Fuente Hemingway short stories on cigar bid. Never had a short story AFH before but remember loving the AFH robusto I had years ago. Do you know if there is a big difference in the short story versus the rest of the AFH line?
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote