Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Question New Tax Bill - Are you getting relief?

The tax bill has passed. Do you anticipate lower taxes? States with high taxes are less likely to get a benefit. Not sure how high our taxes are in MA.

I am for the tax plan, but from what I can see I don't think I will get any savings from it. How about you?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Tax Bill - Are you getting relief?

We have no state income tax in Nevada and I don't have a mortgage so we take the standard deduction. I expect we'll save a little bit since the standard deduction is increased (though I believe the personal exemption is eliminated?) and the brackets have been slightly reduced. We'll see.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

It's going to be a real toss up for a lot of people. I think those who had a lot of exemptions (for example contractors) are going to be hit pretty hard by this. But for those who are more "regular" who have one job, a mortgage, and nothing too crazy I think there will be little change other than things becoming easier. This being my first year where I don't have 2 or 3 consulting/contracting jobs to worry about, nor student loan interest, I think I may come out ahead.

I see this more as a move to the "easier" tax return that so many desire, than a foundational shift in federal taxes.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't bother last year. This year is gonna hurt.
Fortunately my buddy is the county tax collector/doer.
Taxes suck.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:28 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Actually, on further review I think I am lowering my tax liability! I was looking at the current tax brackets when I first post.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

"Only white man could cut 1 foot off top of blanket, sew it to bottom of blanket and proclaim the blanket is now longer"
--Keith Sellers aka: Big Chief / SkidMarx
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:55 AM   #7
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I haven't looked at whether I'll personally save any money but the way I figure it, the simpler the better. If I had my way, there would be a flat tax with no deductions, in other words, a one line tax code. The way I see it, if we are all equal, as stated in the Declaration of Independence, then the tax code should treat us all equally; rich and not-so-rich alike. I'm just a security guard but I am so sick of society thinking that just because someone is wealthy they are somehow "prey animals" for the rest of us to feed upon, figuratively speaking.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:51 AM   #8
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
I haven't looked at whether I'll personally save any money but the way I figure it, the simpler the better. If I had my way, there would be a flat tax with no deductions, in other words, a one line tax code. The way I see it, if we are all equal, as stated in the Declaration of Independence, then the tax code should treat us all equally; rich and not-so-rich alike. I'm just a security guard but I am so sick of society thinking that just because someone is wealthy they are somehow "prey animals" for the rest of us to feed upon, figuratively speaking.
Even better, just trash the 16th Amendment altogether and go back to taxing the way it was previously.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

So, they say we will say a difference in the paycheck. How is that going to happen? Do withholding's change or is that just analogy? For sure if there is a break, you'd notice it by April 2019 when doing taxes. I generally over-withhold to ensure I can cover any 1099 income that I may generate. The worst is having to write a check to the Govt for me. I'd rather get money back.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation

Employers will recalculate withholding based on your W2 and the new tax tables, so folks who get a paycheck will see an increase.

Looks like I will no longer be itemizing. Really happy about that. Taxable income will be higher, but tax owed will be lower by a couple thousand $. Even happier about that.

I agree with Subvet, we should all pay a flat rate, no deductions or credits. I get tired of people who don't pay taxes demanding others must pay more. Everyone should have skin in the game.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
Navydoc
Roll Tide!!!

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
RA Navy (Retired)
Navydoc is on a distinguished road

Now that all my income comes from my LLC i'm hoping the 21% tax bracket is better than the 35% I was paying...
Navydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #12
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navydoc View Post
Now that all my income comes from my LLC i'm hoping the 21% tax bracket is better than the 35% I was paying...
check here: Simplemathduh.com