Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default I need advice about developing this bead thing.

I don't know what to do, and I figure who better to ask than you guys?
This whole bead thing has been both a blessing and a curse.
I simply cannot keep up. I can't make beads fast enough, and I've made so many that I honestly cringe just thinking about having to make them.

I'm kind of torn, really. It's cool that they work so well, and it's cool that everyone loves them, and it's cool that they last forever and all that stuff, but it's just not what I like to do.
I enjoy inventing things. I've done it all my life. I've invented tons of stuff, I even invented a chicken once. Yeah, a chicken. Made a fortune but I spent it all, and gave the rest away. Creating stuff is what I want to be doing and all my spare time is sucked up making beads.

What I'm looking for is ideas about "what's next?"
I'd like to see someone develop the beads and make them more widely and easily available, because they totally kick ass. I don't know thing one about how to do it or how to go about it. I'd far rather a BOTL run with it because I can't imagine it otherwise. I just don't want that BOTL to be me.

Maybe you guys can come up with something that'll serve everyone and I can get back to doing what I do.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: I need advice about developing this bead thing

I have lots of time on my hands. How much time does it take one man to do all you have to do. Do you actually make them from raw product into beads? And I'm sure you would have to be paid. What is your idea for that part, like a royalty thing?
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Have you looked into putting a patent on the process and/or product in order to protect yourself? With a patent under your control, you could look to license the process and product to someone who has the plant capacity to make and market them.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Yazzie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mark
HUpmann
Yazzie will become famous soon enough

Scott, you need to find someone who wants to buy your Bead Business or sell your Bead "Recipe" to someone who wants to take it and run....

Or you just need to hire some competent Whore who will work for you making beads....

I think that's pretty much your options......
Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I am competent but that other part I'm not sure about.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
I am competent but that other part I'm not sure about.
Don't sell yourself short.

JK.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

you need an intern a la Kramerica.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
nozero

Hmm, I'd like to hear more about this chicken...

J/K, whatever you do the best to you.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I need a career and lots of time, Ill take over for you scott
Old 02-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

I'd go for either patenting it or keeping the recipe a secret and look for a buyer.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Maybe Jon Craputo would buy it. Just kidding.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Maybe Jon Craputo would buy it. Just kidding.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazzie View Post
Or you just need to hire some competent Whore who will work for you making beads....
competent manwhore here
Old 02-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #14
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

First off, I was just thinking the other day "I need some beads, maybe I should buy from Shilala this time and try his product." Second, Patent your idea. Many years ago my dad invented a small automatic fish tank cleaner similar to what is now used in swimming pools and my mom kept telling him to drive down to washington and patent it. Long story short someone else patented a year or so lader and is now richer than shyte. Finally, after you patent it you can subcontract/hire people to do the work or sell teh patent outright.

Let me know if you are still taking orders as I was serious about buying some of your product.

T
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #15
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I concur with the patent recommendation. You definitely want to retain the ownership rights to this invention--we use them to maintain cigar humidifaction, who knows what other application they might have.

Then you can pursue a small scale manufacturer if you want to divorce yourself from the production process.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #16
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Patent first, loan second, Third = call a small business development firm and a lawyer.

Make some dollars!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
Patent first, loan second, Third = call a small business development firm and a lawyer.

Make some dollars!
The first part is exactly what I DON'T want to do. I'd rather be shot in the face. That'd be less painful.
Dollars are nice, but it's not even close to the top of what I'd like to see happen.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #18
mi2az

Scott, What exactly would you like to see happen ?

The above suggestions all seem great to me as well. If this is using up all your free time, you need to part with it. Selling your bead business or simply put a patent on them would be a direction to go. I am sure there are other useful applications for the beads and the market would make that decision.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
Scott, What exactly would you like to see happen ?

The above suggestions all seem great to me as well. If this is using up all your free time, you need to part with it. Selling your bead business or simply put a patent on them would be a direction to go. I am sure there are other useful applications for the beads and the market would make that decision.
You're right Marty, all excellent suggestions. I'm really glad I made this thread, it's been a huge help.
I'm still not at all sure about the direction "exactly", but because of everyone's suggestions I can see a couple avenues that I never saw before. That's helping me make up my mind about the "exactly".
It's all great input and this is the only place I could imagine getting it.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #20
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

If you don't want to patent it, then I'm sure you could just sell the process to some enterprising capitalist, one of the proclaimed manwhores above or some already-established company in the business, like Xikar. That'd be less work than a patent, it'd get it off your hands relatively quickly and it would keep the great product available for us. Or you could give it to me and I'll sell it
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote