Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #41
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Official 2012 NFL Draft Talk Thread

I wouldn't exactly call 4-5 years for $5 million a year a high price on a WR. Wallace is the real deal but will eventually someone will have to pay him near $10 million a year to sign him long term. We will see how Blackmon does in the NFL; I have doubted him his whole career at OSU and he continued to prove me wrong.
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #42
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Quote:
Matt Kalil is the best OT prospect to come out since Jake Long.
Absolutely, no doubt about it! If the Rams don't trade out of the #2 spot they better draft Kalil. The dude has pro-bowler written all over him!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #43
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I am using the word "high-priced" like I did "waiver-wire", not literally. I am only saying that I would take Wallace in
a second over Blackmon, and if the price was equally hard to swallow on both of them, I'd rather have Wallace.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #44
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post
The dude has pro-bowler written all over him!
haha, I thought you meant Professional Bowler there for a second.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #45
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I know one thing Scott, Bringing in Mike Wallace would light up Colt McCoy. He is sho nuf the real deal. I would take him
over a high-price on Blackmon. Many would not.
Mike Wallace is a burner. Colt McCoy makes Chad Pennington look like John Elway. I don't see the connection...
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #46
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Quote:
I am using the word "high-priced" like I did "waiver-wire", not literally. I am only saying that I would take Wallace in
a second over Blackmon, and if the price was equally hard to swallow on both of them, I'd rather have Wallace.
You and me both brother! Wallace is a stud and can stretch the field. Blackmon reminds me of a slower Terrell Owens.

(Unless he comes out and runs a 4.4 on his pro day which I don't see happening)
Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #47
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Absolutely, no doubt about it! If the Rams don't trade out of the #2 spot they better draft Kalil. The dude has pro-bowler written all over him!
The Vikes need to take this Kalil kid at 3. With a talent like him at left tackle they can move Charlie Johnson to left guard, a position that he's actually very good at, and kill 2 birds with one stone.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #48
OLS
Suck It

The connection Stephen, is that everyone is hollering about McCoy being crap. Maybe if he had Wallace,
he would look like Peyton Manning........duh.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #49
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
The connection Stephen, is that everyone is hollering about McCoy being crap. Maybe if he had Wallace,
he would look like Peyton Manning........duh.
Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, Brad. Wallace's game doesn't play to McCoy's strengths at all.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #50
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Another prospect who bleeds pro-bowl talent is David DeCastro from Stanford. I've never seen two can't miss offensive line prospects like this in the same draft. I have also never seen an offensive guard projected to go in the top 15 before either.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #51
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

But Wallace's game stretches the field and buys McCoy some time to breath and become an NFL quarterback. That's a long stretch, and I don't think McCoy's arm chases down Wallace, but Ben ain't no Aaron Rodgers, and Wallace made him look like a real quarterback.
I can see where Brad is coming from, at the very least. And I really don't think McCoy will flesh out that bad. He's only had one year in the lights, and not even a full year. I'd certainly take him in front of Seneca Wallace.
He's a good kid, good athlete, and very coachable. If he's working his ass off this offseason, I think he moves up a few rungs and becomes a mid-level qb if he has something to throw to. Wallace would be that, not necessarily the target, but he'd get Little, Massaquoi and Cribbs open.
I think, if Massaquoi wanted to play over the middle and had the gumption or balls to do it, he'd excel. The last few years he's just been a turd in the punch bowl. I think Wallace would change that, or at least have some impact.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #52
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

If only Kalil could possibly end up in Burgh. He's instant 10 years of pro-bowl. If he's still around at #4, he'd be huge for Cleveland. Add him to the Wallace argument and things are looking way up.

I think the best we can do is Cordy Glenn. I don't even know where we draft, I haven't looked. I don't start getting frustrated with my Steelers till camp. I think I'll keep it that way.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #53
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
But Wallace's game stretches the field and buys McCoy some time to breath and become an NFL quarterback. That's a long stretch, and I don't think McCoy's arm chases down Wallace, but Ben ain't no Aaron Rodgers, and Wallace made him look like a real quarterback.
I can see where Brad is coming from, at the very least. And I really don't think McCoy will flesh out that bad. He's only had one year in the lights, and not even a full year. I'd certainly take him in front of Seneca Wallace.
He's a good kid, good athlete, and very coachable. If he's working his ass off this offseason, I think he moves up a few rungs and becomes a mid-level qb if he has something to throw to. Wallace would be that, not necessarily the target, but he'd get Little, Massaquoi and Cribbs open.
I think, if Massaquoi wanted to play over the middle and had the gumption or balls to do it, he'd excel. The last few years he's just been a turd in the punch bowl. I think Wallace would change that, or at least have some impact.
There's never been a question about Roethlisberger's arm, which is what I'm talking about. Why would teams have to respect Wallace deep if defenses know that McCoy isn't a threat to get him the ball anyways? He's not a franchise quarterback, and in today's NFL teams simply can't win (consistently) without one. In short, if you don't have one, you best be looking for one.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #54
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
There's never been a question about Roethlisberger's arm, which is what I'm talking about. Why would teams have to respect Wallace deep if defenses know that McCoy isn't a threat to get him the ball anyways? He's not a franchise quarterback, and in today's NFL teams simply can't win (consistently) without one. In short, if you don't have one, you best be looking for one.
I'm forced to suffer through a lot of Cleveland football being that I'm in Cleveland and two of the brother-in-laws are fans. Plus it used to be fun to watch them lose.
That said, I think Colt's shortcomings aren't so much physical, they're mental. He's scared to death, and rightfully so. It's tough for any qb to to get splattered relentlessly. It'll ruin a young qb.
The boy can sling the ball. He seldom has opportunity to show that ability because he's backing up all the time, and he's developed that "throw off the front foot while I'm backing up" thing that doesn't work.
He almost never has a receiver open because they don't have a guy fast enough to open the field up. They can't even open up a little 10-yard out move, or a short timing pass because both teams are always playing on a 20 yard field when the Browns have the ball. They simply have no way to stretch the field and cannot get a wr open.
Wallace changes that immediately.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #55
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Quote:
I think the best we can do is Cordy Glenn. I don't even know where we draft, I haven't looked. I don't start getting frustrated with my Steelers till camp. I think I'll keep it that way.
Perhaps Jonathan Martin will fall to the Steelers. He was once projected to be a top 15 pick until Riley Rieff came along. Cordy Glenn would be huge for the Steelers. He can play tackle or guard; I think the Steelers pick around # 26.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #56
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Perhaps Jonathan Martin will fall to the Steelers. He was once projected to be a top 15 pick until Riley Rieff came along. Cordy Glenn would be huge for the Steelers. He can play tackle or guard; I think the Steelers pick around # 26.
It doesn't look like they can get Glenn, he's expected to go around 23rd. Unless, of course, they get something for Wallace. But last I heard they intend to keep Wallace and Ben even restructured his contract so they could do so.
Which makes all this Wallace talk moot, but it's fun.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #57
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Yeah, Cincinatti will snag him with one of their picks.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #58
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'm forced to suffer through a lot of Cleveland football being that I'm in Cleveland and two of the brother-in-laws are fans. Plus it used to be fun to watch them lose.
That said, I think Colt's shortcomings aren't so much physical, they're mental. He's scared to death, and rightfully so. It's tough for any qb to to get splattered relentlessly. It'll ruin a young qb.
The boy can sling the ball. He seldom has opportunity to show that ability because he's backing up all the time, and he's developed that "throw off the front foot while I'm backing up" thing that doesn't work.
He almost never has a receiver open because they don't have a guy fast enough to open the field up. They can't even open up a little 10-yard out move, or a short timing pass because both teams are always playing on a 20 yard field when the Browns have the ball. They simply have no way to stretch the field and cannot get a wr open.
Wallace changes that immediately.
Eh, I watched him for four years at Texas. In the end, he compounded a lot of stats in a league that's forgotten how to play defense.

The Browns aren't giving him a lot to work with, to be sure, but getting a deep threat doesn't change the fact that McCoy has a noodle for an arm that defenses aren't going to have to respect.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #59
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

I have to agree with Stephen. Colt McCoy is not an NFL QB; I was shocked when he was drafted in the 2nd/3rd round. The Big XII's defense are weak as hell in a leauge full of teams that only run the spread.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #60
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
I have to agree with Stephen. Colt McCoy is not an NFL QB; I was shocked when he was drafted in the 2nd/3rd round. The Big XII's defense are weak as hell in a leauge full of teams that only run the spread.
Went in the bottom of the third of the 2010 draft. Which makes me wonder; how many quarterbacks were three/four year starters at major college programs and were drafted as low as McCoy went on to have any kind of success in the NFL. Joe Montana and...?