Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #21
funnymantrip

Default Re: Assault Rifle Ban

I don't think it's a ban we have to be concerned about as the main issue. Since the last ban sunsetted there has been legislation in the house consistently to create a new ban. Never had enough support to bring to the forefront. Now during the next 4 years, will there be a push and a try for a new ban, probably 100%. Though I have heard the new president elect talk more on a college football playoff then anything on a gun ban since elected. I do not think it will be a Jan 20th 4pm type super ban and get all you can by then.
The problem will be with new taxes on firearms and ammunition. Some are talking a 500% tax on ammunition and another huge tax on new firearms. That would be a killer for everyone who enjoys shooting as a hobby. Hunters/plinkers/black rifle lovers/handgunners. I don't know how many times I would go to the range and every time I pull the trigger I am sending a few dollars at a paper target.

So I am trying to stock up on ammuntion and mags..If the buying frenzy dies down a little bit, then perhaps a new rifle.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #22
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnymantrip View Post
... Some are talking a 500% tax on ammunition and another huge tax on new firearms. ...
I saw that. I cant imagine paying $1,000 for 500 rounds of XM193
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
At the time the 2nd ammendment was written there was a definite and dire need to own a gun that doesn't exist anymore.
There was a time when my gun fed my kids. It doesn't get much more dire than "no food on the table". Unless, of course, junkies are climbing in your kitchen window to rob you. That has also happened to my family.
I don't see the "need" for anyone to have a turret mounted gatling gun on the roof of their Hummer, or a pile of full automatic ar-15's in their basement. I've never had the desire to own or even understood why guys buy so many of the things that have been mentioned in this thread.
Doesn't matter. It's their right. It's my right, too.
I won't likely own any assault rifles in my lifetime. I've played with them lots of times and they're a lot of fun, but I've never had the desire to own one.
Fortunately for me, if I come to need one, I'm sure one of my brothers will hook me up.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #24
BigAl_SC
The last mango in Paris

First Name: Alan
Trading: (7)
Trinidad
BigAl_SC is on a distinguished road

Just a note for those interested. South Carolina is having a '2nd Amendment tax free weekend' in two weeks. All guns and ammo is tax free. Guess that shows where my state stands on this issue. Getting a new AR custom made to celebrate it.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #25
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl_SC View Post
Just a note for those interested. South Carolina is having a '2nd Amendment tax free weekend' in two weeks. All guns and ammo is tax free. Guess that shows where my state stands on this issue. Getting a new AR custom made to celebrate it.
Sweet!!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #26
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl_SC View Post
That is cool! I wish Ohio would do that, but I don't forsee that happening anytime soon

Think about it.... Lets say you want a 1911 that costs $1000. Ohio sales tax is 6.5% IIRC. 65 dollars would be a very nice savings.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #27
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

Nuff said
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #28
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlmeter View Post

Nuff said
May he rest in peace.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #29
Flatsix
Just in from the Storm

Partagas
Flatsix is on a distinguished road

It seems crazy to me to put a 500% tax on ammunition. How will this protect anyone from themselves or others. The type of people that stick up liquor stores, do drive by's, car jack or shoot at other gang members won't be affected by a 500% tax on ammo. Who gets affected? people like me!

I have handguns, shotguns, rifles and an assault rifle. I lock all my guns in a safe with the trigger guards on. I transport them according to the law. I'm a responsible gun owner. I go through a 100-200 rounds about once a month at the range. If the (2) boxes of 100 count range rounds that I shoot goes up 500%, I won't be at the range much.

It's a hobby, what's next my flyrod? After all, the fish do get boo boos on their lips from the hooks.
Flatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #30
ahc4353

What I find amazing is the thought process that stiffer gun laws cuts down on crime and the amount of guns that criminals have. All it does is makes it harder for law abiding citizens to get a gun. When I bought my first hand gun it took 366 days from start to finish. That's right 366 days. I could have went to Newark and had one in less than an hour from a guy on the corner. Amazing.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #31
Tombstone

Interesting fact:

During W.W.II the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED !

Note: Admiral Yamamoto who crafted the attack on Pearl Harbor had attended Harvard U 1919-1921 & was Naval Attaché to the U. S. 1925-28. Most of our Navy was destroyed at Pearl Harbor & our Army had been deprived of funding & was ill prepared to defend the country.
It was reported that when asked why Japan did not follow up the Pearl Harbor attack with an invasion of the U.S. Mainland, his reply was that he had lived in the U.S. & knew that almost all households had guns.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #32
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Keck, I just starting shooting a gun after almost 28 years.

Ownership of a gun has nothing to do with the government. Problem is, we have allowed it to be so. Laws pass and we sit and piss and moan.

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

Get involved. Call.. Write. Fight back.

We need a organized gathering for a cup of tea.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #33
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Keck, I just starting shooting a gun after almost 28 years.

Ownership of a gun has nothing to do with the government. Problem is, we have allowed it to be so. Laws pass and we sit and piss and moan.

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

Get involved. Call.. Write. Fight back.

We need a organized gathering for a cup of tea.
I have been doing my part. I write to all my representatives, am a life member of the National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, and the Second Amendement Foundation.

I wish more people would join these organizations.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #34
jaycarla
Mossy Hoosier

First Name: Jay
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
jaycarla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I don't see the "need" for anyone to have a turret mounted gatling gun on the roof of their Hummer, or a pile of full automatic ar-15's in their basement. I've never had the desire to own or even understood why guys buy so many of the things that have been mentioned in this thread.
Doesn't matter. It's their right. It's my right, too.
I won't likely own any assault rifles in my lifetime. I've played with them lots of times and they're a lot of fun, but I've never had the desire to own one.
Fortunately for me, if I come to need one, I'm sure one of my brothers will hook me up.

I own a Remington 870 and it is fun to shoot and I keep it loaded and ready to roll. While I agree with Scott above, I also don't like Big Brother telling me what I can and can't buy. My list of things that I can't do becasue of Big Brother is long enough already and it torks me off when they go into "we know best" mode.

Anyway, I am sure many are much more educated on this issue, but thought I would toss in my two cents anyway.

I like to read a good debate.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #35
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycarla View Post

I like to read a good debate.
Me, too.
As long as it remains civil.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #36
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Me, too.
As long as it remains civil.
No worries Peter I'm on it.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #37
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Keep it civil folks. This thread is lighting up the radar screen.
A thread lighting up the radar screen and i'm not the cause of it? I must be losing my touch

Anywho, bans are silly (though I do support the ban on fully automatic weapons).
Old 11-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #38
webjunkie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (1)
Punch
webjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
Interesting fact:

During W.W.II the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED !

Note: Admiral Yamamoto who crafted the attack on Pearl Harbor had attended Harvard U 1919-1921 & was Naval Attaché to the U. S. 1925-28. Most of our Navy was destroyed at Pearl Harbor & our Army had been deprived of funding & was ill prepared to defend the country.
It was reported that when asked why Japan did not follow up the Pearl Harbor attack with an invasion of the U.S. Mainland, his reply was that he had lived in the U.S. & knew that almost all households had guns.
I'm for guns, and I've seen this bit on a lot of e-mails and it always gets my goat (mainly because this is the area of history that I study).

The quote from Yamamoto is: "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

He was trying to make a point to Tojo, who was for war with the US, that the only way to win a war with the US would be to dictate terms to Washington after having defeated the US militarily and Japan would never successfully invade the mainland US. While they did invade the Aleutian Islands, Japan would never have been able to invade the mainland. Even if the attack at Pearl Harbor hadn't been a strategic failure the Japanese just didn't have the resources to maintain or defend the supply lines required to invade the mainland US. If they had, Yamamoto's point about American's being armed would have mattered very little to the Army's culture of the superiority of Japanese infantry.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
webjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #39
Tombstone

I am lovin the Chuck Norris Fact Generator!!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #40
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjunkie View Post
I'm for guns, and I've seen this bit on a lot of e-mails and it always gets my goat (mainly because this is the area of history that I study).

The quote from Yamamoto is: "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

He was trying to make a point to Tojo, who was for war with the US, that the only way to win a war with the US would be to dictate terms to Washington after having defeated the US militarily and Japan would never successfully invade the mainland US. While they did invade the Aleutian Islands, Japan would never have been able to invade the mainland. Even if the attack at Pearl Harbor hadn't been a strategic failure the Japanese just didn't have the resources to maintain or defend the supply lines required to invade the mainland US. If they had, Yamamoto's point about American's being armed would have mattered very little to the Army's culture of the superiority of Japanese infantry.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
I don't know there are a lot of guns in the US. Come down south and you might agree with Yamamoto.