Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
LPFerrante
I smoke. Therefore I am.

First Name: LP
Trading: (0)
HdM
LPFerrante is on a distinguished road
Default Are You A Steve Saka Type Of Smoker?

Steve Saka smokes ten cigars a day.

That is something. I do maybe two a week.

How often do you all smoke?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steve Saka.jpg (11.3 KB, 191 views)
LPFerrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are You A Steve Saka Type Of Smoker?

I have on several occasions smoked 10 cigars in a day WITH Steve Saka, but a normal day now is rarely as much as half that. But nota bene, my go-to these days are JR Habanitos, which are not much bigger than a cigarette.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

One a day, sometimes two.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I’ve met Steve a couple of times, and smoked a few cigars with him. No where near 10 though. Watched him buy a box of Boli RC’s at the La Casa in Windsor, then promptly dissect one to show us how it’s rolled.

I’m up to about two a day now.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
LPFerrante
I smoke. Therefore I am.

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I’ve met Steve a couple of times, and smoked a few cigars with him. No where near 10 though. Watched him buy a box of Boli RC’s at the La Casa in Windsor, then promptly dissect one to show us how it’s rolled.

I’m up to about two a day now.
From all accounts, Steve seems like a nice and chill guy. Him dissecting the stick certainly fits right into his love of all things cigars.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Trading: (1)
Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

I worked PT (4) hrs a day at a cigar shop/lounge for over 10 years. I would smoke 4 cigars a day so thats a box of cigars a week I don't work there anymore and I have cut down to (2) a day. Now at Herfs I am (8) a day x 4 days
Old 11-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

First Name: Clay
kingcobradude is on a distinguished road

Most I ever smoked is 2 a day.
kingcobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Steve IS a hell of a nice guy, with a lot of great stories. If you ever run into him, ask him about the time in Italy when he smoked a cigar at an outdoor cafe with an old man.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
LPFerrante
I smoke. Therefore I am.

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Steve IS a hell of a nice guy, with a lot of great stories. If you ever run into him, ask him about the time in Italy when he smoked a cigar at an outdoor cafe with an old man.
I've only seen him on videos, and he seems that way. Nice to know he's that way in person too! If I see him, I'll be sure to ask.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Steve is fantastic, a good friend.

I smoke one to two cigars a day.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #11
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

First Name: Ray
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about

I probably average about 3-5 a week now.
4WheelVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
LPFerrante
I smoke. Therefore I am.

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Steve is fantastic, a good friend.

I smoke one to two cigars a day.
How did you meet Steve?
Old 11-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I’ve never met or heard of Steve (until this post). I usually smoke 2-4 cigars a day — although there are plenty of days where I have none.

There are days (at herfs) where I have smoked 10 — or more. As much as I try to clear my palette between smokes, I don’t get many of the flavors from the last four or five that I do from the earlier cigars. So, I make sure that the later cigars are nothing special.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #14
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

I've definitely put up some decent numbers when I've been on vacation before, but particularly on my last vacation, I became increasingly aware of diminished return, particularly after the 4th cigar of the day...
Whenever I smoke more than 2 a day, I always make sure to start light and work up in body throughout the day, but even when doing so, no matter how strong the cigar is at the end of the day, I really can't taste it like I want to...sure, I can tell the general idea of the cigar but in no way am I able to truly appreciate it...
So yeah, unless I'm in a particularly rebellious mood, I'm good for maybe 2-4 cigars on any given day...and even with that, I find that if I smoke a really strong cigar on a given evening, the following mornings cigar is usually less tasty...
On that note - if anyone was ever to invent a mouthwash that could reset my palate after each cigar, I'd be a lifetime customer
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #15
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Michael, Steve Saka has been a big player in the cigar biz for decades. I first met him when he was working for Lew Rothman at JR Cigars. From there he moved on to become president of Drew Estates for Jonathan Drew, which always struck me as odd considering the low opinion he'd often expressed about Acids. Now he has his own company, producing the high-end Dunbarton line . . . that I can't afford.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #16
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Trading: (1)
Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

Yeah I have met him a few times, cool guy and a personality as large as he is (and that is BIG)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #17
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Average one a day. If I do more, I generally follow what gomeitsmybday said but after the second cigar, I’ll just smoke whatever is cheapest as I can’t taste much.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #18
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPFerrante View Post
How did you meet Steve?
I used to be a cigar sales rep when I still lived in Europe. We distributed Joya, and they make a lot of his cigars for him.

A few years ago, a few days before the Intertabac trade show (kind of IPCPR for international markets), Juan Martinez (president of Joya) and I are driving around. He says "Saka is coming to Intertabac, you two should meet, I bet you guys will be best friends". So I ask "why?". Juan says "because you two have that same sarcastic personality" to which I reply "but Juan, are you calling me sarcastic?" is a sarcastic tone.

Anyway, few days later at the trade show, I see Steve walking by. So I stop him and say "Juan said that we should meet". Saka says "why?" so I say "Juan says that you're a sarcastic pain in the ass, and that I'm a sarcastic pain in the ass, so we should get along fine". Steve looks at me and says "sit down and smoke".

We've been in touch since. I traveled back to Europe for Intertabac last September. Steve was there as well. I am one of the approx 25 people worldwide that he gifted a Chubby Unicorn, and he gave me one of his Sakasquatch statues for my office.