Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default NUB Limited Edition 2009 Barberpole

NUB LIMITED EDITION 2009

First a little background in this cigar. I received this cigar on June 25th, 2009 at the NUB event in Monona, WI. From what the “Josh the rep” told me, this is a Limited Edition cigar; only 3000 were made and are in circulation. It came in a plastic tube and was not humidified for however long they had been distributing them. So, after a month and ten days or so, I decided that she was back to “smoke-able status” and deserved a death by fire. Here’s how it went:

Pre-Light
Appearance: The doubled wrapper is thin in both the maduro and Connecticut shades. The maduro has some medium sized veins running through it and the cap is a bit rough. This could be due to the drying out and re-humidification process. After cutting, I found the draw to be free with some slight resistance and the pre-light flavor to be of tobacco and caramel.

1st Third
Initial puffs: Got a nice creamy coffee flavor with a hint of spice. The spice mellowed out and as I continued through the first third, the roller coaster began…
First, this cigar tasted exactly like the NUB Maduro, with strong coffee and cream notes; shortly thereafter there was a transition where the cigar had muted coffee and cream notes while flavors of wood took over with a dry finish. This was pushed back again by earthy notes along with more dry-ness. Remember, this is only halfway through the first third. Not two puffs later and the creaminess returned along with his friends; cocoa, caramel and a woody finish.
I’m simply exhausted from all these twists and turns. This is one of the most complex cigars I’ve ever smoked!
At this point in time I made note of the burn: wavy, and running along one side. I touched it up with my torch, and moved along into the end of the First third. Here the predominant flavor was the wood notes with a finish of cream, sweet earth, and slight bitterness that some smokers get from Connecticut shade wrappers. The body is firmly in the mild range.
Whew. On to the 2nd third.

2nd Third
It was here that I really noticed the aroma of the cigar: sweet tobacco with a caramel topping! The flavors are starting to blend together a bit with a predominant wood and earth flavor. At this point the cigar was running again (hmmm… a re-occurring theme maybe?) so I touched her up.
About halfway into the 2nd third a maduro “earthiness” mixed with wood and slight bitterness on the finish. Two puffs later the bitterness was gone. (I think I was smoking too fast…) By the end of the second third there was a well balanced mix of wood and earth with creamy finish and MORE bitterness. (By now I’m slightly confused.)

Last Third
I decided to begin the last third with a purge (hoping it would clear out the bitterness). Well it certainly cleared it out… along with everything else. There was a slight “sugary cream” flavor I could detect, but the cigar had flat-lined and was very bland. I decided it was time to let her go.
Final Thoughts: Although it took a while for this cigar to get her bearings, it developed beautifully into a well balanced cigar. Had it not been for “user error” with the purge, I think this cigar could have been a real knockout! Best barber pole cigar I’ve ever smoked!

Worth a try: Yes
Buy Again: If I could ever find another one…
Enjoyability: High
Comparable cigars: NUB Maduro, NUB Connecticut
Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NUB Limited Edition 2009 Barberpole

Nice review. I'm sure this would be a tough one to find again.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
DropTheE
Loves Wolfgang Guitars!!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (32)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
DropTheE has a spectacular aura aboutDropTheE has a spectacular aura about

Way nice bro!! I am glad that you got to enjoy it. That sure was a good looking cigar too. Looked like a fun cigar, it was teasing me!!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

I just found a spot with 'em courtesy of another BOTL... have two on the way and after reading this review, I can't wait to try them.

oh... and "Nice Review"
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review MJ!!! I had one of these last year...but it was right after I nubbed a Gorilla Finger. So I don't know what it tasted like.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

hehehe, normally it would be a good thing, not to know what a nub tastes like, but the barberpole is quite nice.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
hehehe, normally it would be a good thing, not to know what a nub tastes like, but the barberpole is quite nice.
See...just my luck!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

That should teach you not to mess with the Dutch! I will bring something nasty to EPIC, just in case you feel comfortable enough to try another trick!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Nice review!! These look tasty. But I'm a Nub fan.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
That should teach you not to mess with the Dutch! I will bring something nasty to EPIC, just in case you feel comfortable enough to try another trick!
Ferdie...always up for some trickery!!

Make sure you bring one for Keith!!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

Nice review, sure would like to try that one, so the search begins
Old 06-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (10)
RRocket is on a distinguished road

Great review...I am one of the minority of people who love NUBS. I will definitely keep my eyes open for one of these. Would love to try one......

Thanks for the review!
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Nice review MJ.....I don't mind the nubs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Ferdie...always up for some trickery!!

Make sure you bring another one for me....LOVED THE GORILLA FINGER!!
Fixed it Mac, now all is right!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #14
xlc12rf
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jay
Trading: (3)
xlc12rf is on a distinguished road

I'll once again bring up a thread from the dead. I know his may be a long shot, but does anyone have a line on one of these?
xlc12rf is offline   Reply With Quote