Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #21
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Suggestions needed for Cigar Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think a bunch of cc's in a row viewed from 5:00 tilted on maybe a 30 degree from horizontal axis would look wicked cool. Black and white. Or maybe black on some neutral color to match walls.

Another thought...
You're really good at taking ideas from guys and putting them to mock-up. Do custom work based on the input you get from guys. Maybe they'd even submit photos you could work from?
I took a set of pics awhile back and put them in a super wide frame and I loved it. I had it outside so it didn't last. If I could find that and have you do an original with a variety of cc bands, that'd rock.

What kind of pricetag would something like that carry? Obviously size would dictate, but maybe a size/price range?
No I wouldn't have any problem with people posting a picture of a good idea, in fact I encourage it.
Yes size and difficulty would make a huge difference in cost. Looking at a few other peoples paintings, I see them commonly priced at $100 for a paper print and $500 for a canvas print, with originals in the thousands sometimes. I would be selling my original canvas (Not a print). Unfortunatley I not ready to make a quote at this time.
Just a random guess would be: An original on the canvas I have in stock with an image of my choosing would be around $100. The problem is it can easily cost upwards of $50-$75 in material without anytime included. I will update you guys on some figures after I complete my first project, thinking about getting started this weekend. In my head I was thinking numbers from $100-$200. I will take special orders later on and have a pricing system or due estimates/quotes, just want to do my own thing at first and hopefully sell or trade a couple.

I was thinking about painting on canvas paper instead of streched canvas to help lower the cost and allow the painting to be rolled up for cheaper shipping. I haven't shipped this kind of stuff before so I am not sure how well it will work yet.
Then the purchaser would just need to put it into a frame.

I am not very familiar with CCs, can you maybe post a couple pics of the ones you think would be more desired?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #22
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Shane David, how about pencil drawings? Just a thought...
When I get time I can put together a pic of what I'm thinking. I think I'd like something for above my desk here that I can move downstairs later (I'm putting cabinetry here in the office).
Old 09-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Shane David, how about pencil drawings? Just a thought...
When I get time I can put together a pic of what I'm thinking. I think I'd like something for above my desk here that I can move downstairs later (I'm putting cabinetry here in the office).
Send me your thoughts and I will see what I can do!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
No I wouldn't have any problem with people posting a picture of a good idea, in fact I encourage it.
Yes size and difficulty would make a huge difference in cost. Looking at a few other peoples paintings, I see them commonly priced at $100 for a paper print and $500 for a canvas print, with originals in the thousands sometimes. I would be selling my original canvas (Not a print). Unfortunatley I not ready to make a quote at this time.
Just a random guess would be: An original on the canvas I have in stock with an image of my choosing would be around $100. The problem is it can easily cost upwards of $50-$75 in material without anytime included. I will update you guys on some figures after I complete my first project, thinking about getting started this weekend. In my head I was thinking numbers from $100-$200. I will take special orders later on and have a pricing system or due estimates/quotes, just want to do my own thing at first and hopefully sell or trade a couple.

I was thinking about painting on canvas paper instead of streched canvas to help lower the cost and allow the painting to be rolled up for cheaper shipping. I haven't shipped this kind of stuff before so I am not sure how well it will work yet.
Then the purchaser would just need to put it into a frame.

I am not very familiar with CCs, can you maybe post a couple pics of the ones you think would be more desired?
That sounds quite reasonable, kudos, sir.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Pete's right on the ball, and I agree. Very reasonable, Shane.
I want to see some of your work so I can figure out what I can have you do that'd work best with your style.
My oldest step-daughter, Nikki, is in her last year at Kent State, Art Major. For the last couple years I've been after her to do exactly what you're doing right now. She hasn't got around to it. I'm super excited to see this work out for you, I hope I can get in first.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #26
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I would like to see pencil drawings as well, especially if it keeps the costs down.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #27
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Pete's right on the ball, and I agree. Very reasonable, Shane.
I want to see some of your work so I can figure out what I can have you do that'd work best with your style.
My oldest step-daughter, Nikki, is in her last year at Kent State, Art Major. For the last couple years I've been after her to do exactly what you're doing right now. She hasn't got around to it. I'm super excited to see this work out for you, I hope I can get in first.
I like a little challenge so send me some ideas or pics of what you want and I might adapt them to my style but it will give me a starting point. If you do not like what I do or it doesn't fit your request I will keep it or put it up for sale. Thanks Scott. I will hopefully have something at least started this weekend, I have a couple ideas I want to work on. Scott, that's awesome that your daughter is in art school. You must be proud of her. I was registered to start graphic design in July but the Tech school I was going to dropped their night classes two weeks before I was scheduled to start. It was very depressing for a few weeks.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 09-16-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
I would like to see pencil drawings as well, especially if it keeps the costs down.

Here ya go

That'll be three-fiddy please.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #29
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
I never really thought much about pencil drawings, to me it is the rough draft in most of my art, maybe I will try a few and see what you guys think.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #30
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I like a little challenge so send me some ideas or pics of what you want and I might adapt them to my style but it will give me a starting point. If you do not like what I do or it doesn't fit your request I will keep it or put it up for sale.
I'll do that as soon as I can. I wish you could render it somehow so we can get a look before you commit paint to it.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #31
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
I'll do that as soon as I can. I wish you could render it somehow so we can get a look before you commit paint to it.
Until I have some work to show what you can expect I will not charge for something unless it is suitable by the requesters standards.

I took your advice and did a pencil sketch. I'll make a thread for now.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #32
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Hey everybody, just so we are clear:

Buy trying to sell cheap art I am in no way implying that other peoples art is over priced, in fact $500 for a strecthed canvas is a great deal with as much time and material costs that are involved in a single painting. My reasoning for selling my art at almost the cost of materials is only to get my feet wet. I have always drawn and designed but am new to painting and am just playing around with the idea.
Please bear with me and if you are looking for a serious masterpiece I recomend spending the money on an experienced artists work!

Thanks everybody for the interest, I appreciate all the kind encouraging words.
I will keep my "art thread" updated with all future works. We will see how this goes.