Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 11-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Pipe Prices

I'm shopping for a new pipe for the first time in 5-6 years... WOW! Prices seem significantly higher than back then. I'm positive it's just market adjustment with inflation, etc. etc.

But things I thought I could snag in the 300-450 range are all well into the 550+ realm. I don't know what "the most I would spend is" but I'm pretty sure it's well under $500. Not a problem finding more affordable pipes, but when I try to find the makers I wanted back in 2010 they are either unobtanium or obscenely expensive (to me anyway)

Alan Brothers is an option in the lower hundreds, who else are you guys liking for quality/hand made but not break-the-bank?
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Pipe Prices

Hey Tim, the Christiano I got from you is probably one of the best pipes I've ever smoked; not that I smoke a lot. I use it for aromatics now but everything smokes wonderfully in it. Germain's Plum Cake is awesome in it! Paul's Pipe Shop has some in your price range, most for less.

http://www.iapsc.net/store/
Old 11-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
stevieray
Just slacking off

First Name: Steve
Trading: (42)
Bolivar
stevieray has disabled reputation

I'm relatively new to pipe smoking (couple years) so the pipes I've been buying are in the $300 and below range. This year I've commissioned pipes from Tim Harris and Rick Kopf (Rick Black Pipes) along with buying a couple Jake Hackert's. Those were all below $200. Paul Menard (Paul's Pipes) and Joe Case make some pretty nice pipes as well, but those can get into the $300 + range. For my next purchase I would like to find a Dunhill made in my birth year which will be the most expensive pipe to date for sure.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I do not smoke enough to warrant that kind of cash for a pipe. I am simply looking for this ONE that I simply love. It is the 2013 Savinelli Saint Nicholas Author (#320). I see them from time to time, but the prices get crazy.

hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

There is a massive amount of craft pipe makers that are making very high quality pipes out of their garages/home shops.

I not advocating one site over any other but when I want to oogle over some cool pipes I look around at the stuff here: http://www.tobacco-pipe-collectors.mybigcommerce.com/
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX View Post
There is a massive amount of craft pipe makers that are making very high quality pipes out of their garages/home shops.

I not advocating one site over any other but when I want to oogle over some cool pipes I look around at the stuff here: http://www.tobacco-pipe-collectors.mybigcommerce.com/
That's a great link, thanks! It's cool to see some of the real crafted at home pipes and I like that some of the guys have pics of themselves up, gives it a more social feel if you bought one of their pipes.

Not ready to make the jump yet but I'm getting close so this is a big help (sorry for thread jack)
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Great to see you on the board Tim. You may want to peruse the following site if you've not done so to date:

http://stores.ebay.com/PIPESTUDS-CONSIGNMENT-PIPE-SHOP

Steve (pipestud) has a great looking store, with many unsmoked and smoked pipes of top notch quality. His auctions close each Saturday around 11:00am/pst, and begin once again the following day for the next upcoming Saturday. Great site, great selection! He's spot on with deliveries too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX View Post
Nice site Jason
Old 11-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #8
badbriar

If you don't have any qualms about estate pipes, check out smokingpipes.com. Estates are about 50 to 60% of new. Depends on condition. I have over two dozen from them and am pleased with every puchase. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Oh, forgot Steve's other site

http://www.pipestud.com/301/39522.html
Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #10
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Hey Tim, the Christiano I got from you is probably one of the best pipes I've ever smoked; not that I smoke a lot. I use it for aromatics now but everything smokes wonderfully in it. Germain's Plum Cake is awesome in it! Paul's Pipe Shop has some in your price range, most for less.

http://www.iapsc.net/store/
glad to hear it! and thanks for the link, there's so many new makers since I fell off a while back, I need to just shop around
Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #11
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Great to see you on the board Tim. You may want to peruse the following site if you've not done so to date:

http://stores.ebay.com/PIPESTUDS-CONSIGNMENT-PIPE-SHOP

Steve (pipestud) has a great looking store, with many unsmoked and smoked pipes of top notch quality. His auctions close each Saturday around 11:00am/pst, and begin once again the following day for the next upcoming Saturday. Great site, great selection! He's spot on with deliveries too...
I went and looked. I shouldn't have.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #12
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Here's what I'm debating between, once I pick one, I'll have to decide if it actually makes sense to purchase another pipe, $350 can buy several bottles of Whisky or a watch or you know, go into savings

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/ne...duct_id=178662
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/ne...duct_id=186031
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/ne...duct_id=169288

I have a promotion coming up, so a bit of "treat yo self" is driving this shopping endeavor.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #13
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

I don't think there is any doubt Tim. The Cavicchi Classy looking pipe. Nice looking bit. Always like a thick walled bowl too...
Old 11-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #14
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

That's the way I'm leaning, I've been coveting a CC for a long time and I love blasts, but his smooth pipes are among my favorites, $20 more for http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/ne...duct_id=173009 ?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #15
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

... Save your Jackson Tim and buy a bottle of Corner Creek bourbon
Old 11-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #16
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

you embody the bad influence I came here for
Old 12-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #17
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
LGC AirForce (Disabled Vet)
The.Sheepdog is on a distinguished road

We is all bad influences brother! My wife drives me to it!
The.Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #18
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

I might also check out
http://rokstarpipes.com/
http://americanpipemakers.com/
I know both of the guys who run the sites and I even have a couple pipes listed on APM (363 pipes).
Some other guys you might look into would be Warner Pipes, Briar Bird pipes, Thorpe Pipes, Joe Hinkle Pipes, or even Brandon Brookes. I know all of them as well and own some of their work.