Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Adding Water Directly to Beads

Apparently this may be an issue? A response for another thread mentioned this.... I had always assumed that is what you did(Heartfelt) to charge the beads.... I have a habit of dumping a capful of DW into my tubes, shaking them up and putting them back in the humidor....

I assumed that since they suggested that you add water with a syringe, adding water directly to the beads was A-OK. (that is not to say that I have not heard about the spray bottle method)

Anyway, my beads appear to be doing their job fine....but they are fairly young and in a perfect world, I'd prefer to do things "right."

Being that I have another 2lbs coming, as I am going to have to start a coolerdor or vinodor here.....too many cigars to buy, not enough time to smoke them all....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Adding Water Directly to Beads

I have 2 lbs in a coolidor right now, I just spray bottle them. 65 RH beads holding a rock solid 64 RH. They are heartfelt and they work great.

I think the heartfelt tubes suck personally.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Heartfelt beads are supposed to be recharged by directly adding water.

Shilala beads are not supposed to be recharged by directly adding water.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Adding water to heartfelt beads is fine. Adding to shilala beads is not fine.

The difference is in the type. You will be fine with your beads.

Supposedly the shilala beads steam and bubble or something when you pour water on them.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

No issue. I use a spray bottle and spray directly through the mesh bags to moisten my beads. When I dont feel like digging around for the bag that is on the bottom, I just spray water on the glass door and let the moisture be absorbed by the beads.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
No issue. I use a spray bottle and spray directly through the mesh bags to moisten my beads. When I dont feel like digging around for the bag that is on the bottom, I just spray water on the glass door and let the moisture be absorbed by the beads.
My god your lazy.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Hrmm, I was sort of correct, but here's an excerpt directly from Heartfelt:

"You can put a container of distilled water, like a bowl, next to the beads and let them absorb the distilled water in this way. When they have absorbed all they can remove the bowl. This method is effective but takes a while for the beads to absorb the water.

The method I use and prefer is using a spray bottle. I purchased an inexpensive spray bottle at the grocery store and filled it with distilled water. When the beads need water I just spray them until they have absorbed enough distilled water. This method will work well if you have the beads in a bag or dish.

" If my beads are going white, should I add distilled water until they are all clear? "

The optimal is to have about 60% to 70% of the beads clear. Don't try to get them all clear because if you do they cannot absorb any sudden rise in humidity in your humi."
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.... This place is such a wealth of info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I think the heartfelt tubes suck personally.
They have been great for my little humidors....?

The plan for the 2lbs is four 1/2lb bags.....

The consensus is the mesh bags are easy, painless and as effective as any other method?
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

If I make even 20 percent clear I am looking at a spike in RH. Anyone have this problem? I have been having problems with HF beads in a Vinotemp. I can't keep the RH below 70. I am in Ga and winter is dry. Why is the Vino making the RH rise? I know because I put everything back in a cooler and it stabilizes. I have checked for leaks as well. What am I doing wrong? I have owned beads for years and this is the first time I am stumped.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Thanks for the quick replies everyone.... This place is such a wealth of info...

The consensus is the mesh bags are easy, painless and as effective as any other method?
I use 2 lbs in tupperware containers each with 1 pound of beads. They work great in a 120 quart cooler. I didn't bother buying the mesh bags. YMMV
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post

Ankle high stockings also work as bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GTFan View Post
If I make even 20 percent clear I am looking at a spike in RH. Anyone have this problem? I have been having problems with HF beads in a Vinotemp. I can't keep the RH below 70. I am in Ga and winter is dry. Why is the Vino making the RH rise? I know because I put everything back in a cooler and it stabilizes. I have checked for leaks as well. What am I doing wrong? I have owned beads for years and this is the first time I am stumped.
The problem is the change in seasons. You will see similar posts next spring and also this past spring.

1) Unplug your Vinotemp, you dont need temp control until next summer.

2) Fill up any empty space in your Vino with empty boxes, the boxes will retain moisture and help stabilize the Rh.

3) If you have a half empty box, put your calibrated hygrometer inside a box. It is the Rh of your cigars that is important not the Rh of the air in the Vino.

4) How are your cigars smoking? How do the wrappers feel? If your cigars are not tunneling or giving you some other kind of weird burn then you are ok.

5) Dont sweat things too much. Sometimes it may take 3-4 months for a wine cooler to stabilize. Every time it cycles you will notice a drop in Rh, but you seek long term stability and must trust in the beads.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

The cigars seem fine. Granted we are talking about less than a week. My problem is high RH not low. That is what baffles me.
Unplugged indoors should mean stabilization. Right?
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

I do what you've described - I dump a cap full of water directly on the beads. I've been doing it for years and have never had a problem. They work just fine and seem to remain intact. I'm talking about the heartfelt beads.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GTFan View Post
The cigars seem fine. Granted we are talking about less than a week. My problem is high RH not low. That is what baffles me.
Unplugged indoors should mean stabilization. Right?
Check the humidity inside one of your boxes. Then just give it a few weeks. I seldom look at my hygrometers anymore. I check the beads once a month or so. If the Rh is too high, it will take several weeks for the beads to absorb the excess moisture.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #15
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
No issue. I use a spray bottle and spray directly through the mesh bags to moisten my beads....
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 AM   #16
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Been spraying my heartfelt beads for almost 5 years. No negative effect that I can tell.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #17
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Been spraying my heartfelt beads for almost 5 years. No negative effect that I can tell.
Same for me, with the spray method. I've had the same beads (although added more) but gone from a desktop to cooler to eventually a vino now and worked great in each.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #18
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I could be wrong here, but I was under the impression that pouring water directly onto the beads as described by OP will cause the beads to break because the ones on the top are going to take the majority of the water and over hydrate
Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #19
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Been dumping water into my bead sacks for years.

I think its kind of like the "be gentle with me" admonition. Rarely last past the first filling.

Last edited by Da Klugs; 11-18-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Da Klugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Been dumping water into my bead sacks for years.

I think its kind of like the "be gentle with me" admonition. Rarely last past the fist
filling.