Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default La Gloria Cubana Artesanos De Miami - Sabrosos

Info:
Size: Robusto (5 1/2 x 52)
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Filler: Dominican and Nicaraguan
Drink: Dogfish Head Chicory Stout
Humidor Time: Nearly a year and a half.
Construction and Burn: Flawless construction with a slow, even burn. I grabbed this thinking it would be a reasonably quick smoke, and after an hour and twenty minutes it was dinner time and I had to put it down with a good inch and a half left to go.

Tasting:
Pre-light: This robusto had a rustic, mottled and slightly veiny colorado wrapper, with a light cedar aroma and sweet raisin taste from what was a very loose pre-light draw.
1/3: There were some nice barnyard aromas upon toasting the foot, but it didn’t give out much smoke when I finally took a draw. Despite a loose pre-light draw from my punch, I had to clip the cap off with my cutter. After that, there were no problems with the draw, although it was on the firm side. The flavor was muted at first, but developed into a sweetish, leathery taste. This cigar was quite peppery in the nose for the first part, and I had to be careful not to blow too much smoke through my sinus. It was definitely a mouth-smoker’s cigar. The finish was dry and a bit harsh.

2/3: The pepper in the nose simmered down to a nice spice, and the leather flavors were joined by coffee and the sweetness disappeared. The finish became more vegetal and smooth, although it was to remain dry throughout.

3/3: I didn’t have time to nub this cigar but the last third promised more of a coffee with cream flavor with the spice in the nose ramping up a bit and a very dry finish. The burn was just starting to go south and the cigar was heating up, so it was probably a good thing I ended it when I did.

Rating: 90
Did I like it? Yes, it was a very high quality cigar, but not really suited to my tastes. The flavors brought to mind “Opus X” light. I’m sure the extra humi time did it good.
Would I buy this again? I have 1 left and at the price these sell for at my B&M I could get 2 cg4s, so no.
Would I buy a box? For nearly the price of a box of CoRos? No.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road
Default Re: La Gloria Cubana Artesanos De Miami - Sabrosos

Nice pics. Thanks for the review.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

nice review - this is the first i've heard of these cigars. just checked the prices on CI and holy cow...
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

I got one of these in a 3 pack with a serie r and a corona gorda (standard blend?). I gotta say I really enjoyed it. Wish I had more, but at the price they are asking I think I would pass too.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

I love the corona size of this cigar, the Artesanitos.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I had one of these and wasn't wowed by it. Thanks for the review.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the review...enjoyed the one I have had.