Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
AmsterDan
Ischn't dat Wiert?!

Trading: (0)
AmsterDan is on a distinguished road
Default Don Pepin Tabacos Baez SF - Robusto

Brand: Don Pepin
Line: Tabacos Baez Serie S F
Size: Robusto 5" x 50
Made in: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Binder/filler: Nicaraguan

Appearance, Feel and Aroma
This is a cigar I picked up from my local tobacconist. On my way out I noticed, what I call, the orphanage bin. Every tobacconist has one, the display case with cigars you have never heard of before and won't cost you more than any other budget cigar.

The Tabacos Baez is the departure line of the normal Don Pepin cigars. Baez being Pepin's place of birth and start of his career in Cuba. The cigar band looks cheap to me which is not the usual for Don Pepin. The cigar itself is Colorado coloured and sports small to medium veins with visible seams. I found one hard spot near the foot which caused the pre-draw to be tight. The aroma reminds me of typical tobacco and straw, very faint.

The first part of this Don Pepin opens light to medium bodied with leathery tones and a very faint pepper. A little later I find some bitter woody tones by means of a dry mouth feel. Smoke development is not great because of the tight draw.

In the second part, rich woody tones lead the palate together with leathery nuances and pepper which has picked up quite a bit from the first part. It even follows through in the finish in the form of a slight tingle over the entire tongue, very nice. Later in the second part I found a slight bitterness in the background which wasn't a bad thing, it suits the current palate. Also, the draw has opened up to be within reasonable limits, great! As you can see, the complexity is shallow but ain't boring.

The third part continues with this palate but grows into a medium body. I have noticed the slightest hint of chocolate but didn't pursue. The finish is quite long and leaves the mouth with bitter like soil and coffee.

Conclusion
Huh! Normally I don't favour lots of spice nor bitter tones but this cigar brought those flavours just fine in a very earthy flavoured palate. Not a complex cigar but enjoyable between your daily commitments. The burn was straight, ash held on for about 3/4 of an Inch and there was enough smoke. Would I smoke the Don Pepin TB again? Maybe. There are similar cigars with a personally preferred palate which I would smoke over this stick. However, if you like the sounds of this palate, dude ... for the money, just give it a try!

Appearance: 6.5/10
Construction: 6/10
Draw: 5/10 became an 8/10
Burn: 9/10
Ash: 7/10
Smoke (Amount): 8/10
Smoke (Aroma): 7/10
Taste part 1: 7/10
Taste part 2: 8/10
Taste part 3: 6/10
Old 12-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Don Pepin Tabacos Baez SF - Robusto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmsterDan View Post
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Just a slight correction. The Tobaccos Baez that you had is the SF and features a Nicaraguan Habano wrapper.

I like them. Hard to beat the price!

This is the one that has the Ecuadorian Conn wrapper.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
AmsterDan
Ischn't dat Wiert?!

Trading: (0)
AmsterDan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the correction. I couldn't find a lot of information on the SF series, appreciated!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Thanks for sharing brother
Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I blazed through a box of toros.