Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of
Default Don Carlos Edicion De Aniversario 06

The past week has not been the best weeks of my life, so I decided since it's a new week, might as well start it out good. Here is my story....

Wrapper: Aged Opus X Rosado wrapper
Binder: Unknown
Filler: Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario blend

A little history about this stick:This stick was ranked number 5 in Cigar Aficionado.This cigar was made to celebrate 30 years of the DC line. Fuente swapped out the cameroon wrapper and went with his Opus X wrapper. This cigar is pretty rare, I believe that they made under 10,000 sticks.

This cigar is a beautiful cigar from feet to head. The band is by far one of the best band I've seen (prettier the band, the better it smokes) jk. The wrapper is a a beautiful brown wrapper, with little veins.

First Third
After lighting this cigar up, I knew it was gonna be a hell of a smoke. Taking the first few puffs of this cigar, it was extremely spicy, almost a bit too spicy for my liking. As the smoke progressed, the spice and pepper eased a bit. Very similar to an Opus X (same wrapper)

Second Half
As the 2nd half started, although the spice has mellowed out a bit, every puff I take, the spice is left lingering on my tongue. I'm beginning to pick up some different flavors. Hints of honey and nuts are coming through. It's a creamy smoke. Crap... why am I smoking this on an empty stomach, I know much better then to smoke on an empty stomach.

Final Third
What a cigar! I'm glad I decided to start my week off with this stick! Well believe it or not but the spice/pepper is still there... weird huh? Lol, it's still there. As the final third of this stick goes, the hint of honey and nuts are still there but it's faint. Still continues to burn very even. This smoke is extremely complex to be honest.

Conclusion
I decided to throw this stick away with a few inches left. JK. As stated before, I believe this stick is extremely complex, with many flavors, flavors that I could not even describe. I did enjoy this cigar very much, but as far as price wise goes, I could go with something else. Special occasions, deserves a special cigar, so I'm not complaining. It is very much like the Opus X imo, so if you like the X, I would very much recommend this stick.
Hope you enjoyed the review.

Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation
Default Re: Don Carlos Edicion De Aniversario 06

nice review!
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
The past week has not been the best weeks of my life, so I decided since it's a new week, might as well start it out good. Here is my story....

Wrapper: Aged Opus X Rosado wrapper
Binder: Unknown
Filler: Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario blend

A little history about this stick:This stick was ranked number 5 in Cigar Aficionado.This cigar was made to celebrate 30 years of the DC line. Fuente swapped out the cameroon wrapper and went with his Opus X wrapper. This cigar is pretty rare, I believe that they made under 10,000 sticks.

This cigar is a beautiful cigar from feet to head. The band is by far one of the best band I've seen (prettier the band, the better it smokes) jk. The wrapper is a a beautiful brown wrapper, with little veins.

First Third
After lighting this cigar up, I knew it was gonna be a hell of a smoke. Taking the first few puffs of this cigar, it was extremely spicy, almost a bit too spicy for my liking. As the smoke progressed, the spice and pepper eased a bit. Very similar to an Opus X (same wrapper)

Second Half
As the 2nd half started, although the spice has mellowed out a bit, every puff I take, the spice is left lingering on my tongue. I'm beginning to pick up some different flavors. Hints of honey and nuts are coming through. It's a creamy smoke. Crap... why am I smoking this on an empty stomach, I know much better then to smoke on an empty stomach.

Final Third
What a cigar! I'm glad I decided to start my week off with this stick! Well believe it or not but the spice/pepper is still there... weird huh? Lol, it's still there. As the final third of this stick goes, the hint of honey and nuts are still there but it's faint. Still continues to burn very even. This smoke is extremely complex to be honest.

Conclusion
I decided to throw this stick away with a few inches left. JK. As stated before, I believe this stick is extremely complex, with many flavors, flavors that I could not even describe. I did enjoy this cigar very much, but as far as price wise goes, I could go with something else. Special occasions, deserves a special cigar, so I'm not complaining. It is very much like the Opus X imo, so if you like the X, I would very much recommend this stick.
Hope you enjoyed the review.

Nice Review! Had an Opus X on an empty stomach several weeks ago, so I feel for you, Bro! Have a Don Carlos resting for that special occasion. It will be interesting to compare the two!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
DougBushBC

Great review Huy! Love those great cigars!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
trader1974
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Austin
Trading: (4)
trader1974 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review!
trader1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

I never get much spice from these. All the ones I've smoked have been ultra smooth, but man do they pack a punch. One of them was the only cigar to date that has given me the nic sick.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Nice review, I love the pics and that looks to be a great start to the week.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
Jimbo14
Habano Man

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
Jimbo14 is on a distinguished road

Lovely, thankyou for sharing.
Jimbo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

They're delish. Crazy expensive though.
I've had the pleasure of smoking just one. I very much enjoyed it.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
They're delish. Crazy expensive though.
I've had the pleasure of smoking just one. I very much enjoyed it.
I've had one also and thought it was pretty interesting. Just hard to fork over that much for them.

Thank you for the review
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
I've had one also and thought it was pretty interesting. Just hard to fork over that much for them.

Thank you for the review
Definately has a personality of it's own. If for no other reason, that'd be a good one to try it.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Great review and pics! Thanks!
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
dubnick