Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
badbriar

Cool Boveda packs in humidor

Want to replace the Xikar bead puck in my #2 humidor and would like some experienced advice here on a couple of questions...
1) How effective is using multiple Boveda packs as humidification in small cedar humidors for humidity control? I'm looking at using a cedar holder with three packs for a small desktop humidor (about 100 to 125 cigars).
2) Is this a durable, long term way for good humidification?
3) I prefer my sticks slightly on the drier side, living in humid FL and am leaning towards the 65% or even the 69% packs.
4) What size Boveda packs do I use?
Please let me know what you all advise.
Thx,
RR

Last edited by badbriar; 03-16-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Boveda packs in humidor

I suppose that would depend on the seal of the humidor. What rh you use is a matter of choice; I like 65%. They usually recommend using a couple of points above where you want it to account for leakage, but in Florida, that might not apply. Go to their website and use their calculator, but I would think that three large packs would suffice.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

IMHO you are better off with beads for in the long run. Either HCM beads from Cigarnut or Heartfelt beads from HeartfeltIndustries.com. I have been using the same 65% Heartfelt beads for the past 7 years with no issues.

Boveda packs are fine for short term storage, but in a humid climate they will absorb excess moisture as quickly as beads. If you use Boveda packs you will need double the amount so you can put new ones in your humidor while you recharge the old ones.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
IMHO you are better off with beads for in the long run. Either HCM beads from Cigarnut or Heartfelt beads from HeartfeltIndustries.com. I have been using the same 65% Heartfelt beads for the past 7 years with no issues.

Boveda packs are fine for short term storage, but in a humid climate they will absorb excess moisture as quickly as beads. If you use Boveda packs you will need double the amount so you can put new ones in your humidor while you recharge the old ones.
+1 on this; I use Heartfelt beads as well. I've only used Boveda packs in herfadors and I like them for that, but I figure you didn't ask about beads.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Maybe this is just me, but I always use a few Boveda packs to supplement my "Cigarnut, Shilala Beads". I've found that if I only use beads, My RH will never get above 60-61% in any of my humidors or coolidors. I prefer 63-65%.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

I use the large size 65% Boveda Packs as reinforcement for the beads my coolidor and think they work great. For some reason the winter here is difficult on my cooler and adding 1-2 boveda packs helps maintain humidity. The beads alone keep it at acceptable levels (62% on average) but I like the added boost to keep things at 65%. I will also take a boveda pack out and throw it my my tupperdor and hermetic cigar jar when I have an overflow situation. Using the packs like this; they last about 6 months.

I would feel comfortable using them in the situation you describe above. The only thing to consider is that a large boveda pack is going to cost you between 3-5 dollars depending on where you purchase them and in what quantity. If you are only using boveda packs, you need new ones about every 3-4 months. You can recharge your boveda packs if you want to. There is a thread going about this. For less money you could get the appropiate amount of beads and be pretty much set. Especially in a large desktop humidor like you are describing.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX View Post
Especially in a large desktop humidor like you are describing.
Meant to say Small desktop humidor. I use HCM beads in my desktop humidor and it keeps the RH rock solid. I don't even bother checking it with the hydro any more.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote