Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default LUJ Morpheus

This was gifted by Tim at Podman Cigars.

There is precious little information about this brand, let alone this stick; LUJ's FB page does not have a product lineup nor any product info at all, only some random, uncaptioned pics. Step it up, guys!

I estimate this cigar to be around a corona grande size. It has a dark, beautiful wrapper that pretty much embodies the word "toothy." The pre-light impressions are of sweet cocoa, honey and herbs. The construction is very good, not too tight and the stick feels right in the hand for the size.

Upon lighting the honeyed sweetness makes its appearance and sticks around until the end. Floral impressions blend with a grassy, green flavor, like freshly-cut vegetables.

One thing I note right off is that this is a fast-smoking cigar; it only takes between five and seven minutes to get just under an inch in. The ash is light and flaky, and the burn is erratic, although it never gets out of hand. Correction is easy because of the fast burn, and it never requires me to use my lighter again.

Halfway in, the sweetness is still present along with the herbaciousness, and a subtle cocoa creeps in. The smoke is rich and plentiful.

I smoked this to about the inch and a half point, and it just got more tasty as it went along. A very enjoyable smoke.

I don't know if these are officially out yet or if they are still pre-release, which would explain the general lack of information. Maybe someone who knows more can fill in some blanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Pseudosacred
What will your verse be?

First Name: Nick
Trading: (1)
Pseudosacred is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LUJ Morpheus

I'm not too experiance, but I've never read anything about a cigar having a grassy, fresh-cut vegetable flavor. Is that a rarity? Sounds pretty interesting, though!
Pseudosacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred View Post
I'm not too experiance, but I've never read anything about a cigar having a grassy, fresh-cut vegetable flavor. Is that a rarity? Sounds pretty interesting, though!
It's a good question.

When I describe the flavors or impressions I get from a cigar, I draw on years of cooking...and eating, of course!

I don't have formal training like Clancy (Bad Finger) but I have been cooking—well, I've been told—for almost all my life; first with my mom, who is a great cook, then during my marriage, since my ex didn't really like to cook, and then as a single man for the last 18 years. I love to experience every ingredient from its raw state to its harmonious part in my dishes. When I cut open a sweet pepper or a slice a bunch of asparagus, I take it all in; I try to remember the fragrance and taste it raw (if possible) to remember it by itself before adding it to the pot or the saucepan.

Same with non-edibles; when I cut the tips of the stems from fresh flowers, I always note the fragrance that generates and my perception of it, for example.

So, sometimes when smoking I'll note and call out an impression that's not necessarily a flavor, but more an overall impression that an ingredient once made on my senses...smell, taste and the way it fixes in my memory.

But when it's a flavor that is clear on my palate, I'll note that as well and incorporate it into my review.

On another note, does anyone know any more about the LUJ at present than I could find?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Sounds interesting. I've never heard of them. Thanks for the review! I get grassy/hay in some cigars. I don't prefer it much, but can tolerate it if it isn't overbearing.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds very interesting...will be on the lookout.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Sounds interesting. I've never heard of them. Thanks for the review! I get grassy/hay in some cigars. I don't prefer it much, but can tolerate it if it isn't overbearing.
I like that flavor as part of a more complex overall profile, as in Cohibas and other Cubans.

A product search on Google yielded zero results, so I guess this was pre-release. I'm certain that Tim (Podman cigars) will carry them.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL

Did this brand go out of business?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Luj
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Luj is on a distinguished road

@lenguamor
Of course not Joe. It just seems that way because I am a small batch short run production doing business with a very few carefully selected establishment.
So, I am still around and doing very well.

www.theluj.com

Check it out
Luj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Hmm good review now I have to try to find some in my area! Glad to hear you're still around and good luck in the future brother!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
hazydat620
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chad(choad, schoad)
Trading: (10)
hazydat620 is on a distinguished road

The Fugitive sounds very interesting. Any of these floating around that you know of Luj?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
tchariya
Taters of the lost Ark

Trading: (13)
RG
tchariya will become famous soon enoughtchariya will become famous soon enough

This line of cigars is blended by a local Naperville, IL man named Luj. I would consider his line of cigars ultra boutique. There are at least 4 blends in his line and 2-3 sizes in each blend.

PM me if you need more information.
Distribution is limited to the upper midwest at this point in time.
tchariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

This sounds interesting and I like the descriptions of the other lines that LUJ has too. I will be on the lookout for these.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Was lucky enough to have a few of these gifted to me by the man him self, while I'm mainly a CC Douche, I just tried the Morpheus and have to say it was a very good stick, incredible construction, very firm with an easy (not wind tunnel mind you) draw, my stick had no burn issues what so ever, very even burn for me.

AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I finally got my hands on one of these a few months back and really enjoyed it.