Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 09-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #21
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Instant Pot Feed Back

We bought one and although we haven't used it that much, we have several friends that use it all the time. It is well made and very user friendly and can do a lot of things that other slow cookers can't. We got ours from Amazon during the November Black Friday sales for ~ $75.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #22
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

I have the 6 qt...used it a lot last winter when first got it, not so much in the summer...will be using it more often now that the weather is chiling..great for quick meal after work....I like it
Old 11-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #23
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

For those who are looking for a deal on the 8-qt, Amazon has a great price for the next 15 hours.

https://smile.amazon.com/Instant-Pot...f_rd_i=desktop
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #24
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

The 6at digital is on sale too.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #25
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So far, I'm diggin' the instant pot. Made some hard boiled eggs, shoyu chicken and pulled pork. All came out pretty tasty, pulled pork was just missing that BBQ flavor.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #26
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
How many will you usually be cooking for? I can't say as to why the bigger one but my wife is always saying she wishes she I had the big one, either way they cook very fast and tasty meals.

Fixed it for you, Mike.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #27
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Proud new owner, looking forward to playing around with it
Old 12-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #28
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Wife's had one for about a year and loves it. I tried to use it and couldn't figure out even how to turn it on. Controls aren't exactly intuitive, but there's lots of 'help' online.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #29
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I got the 6qt as a gift, went to exchange it for the 8 yesterday but they were out of stock, also wouldn't give me full value for the exchange so the upgrade fee is more than I was expecting. I took the 6 back with me for now still sealed, based on the notes from this thread I think I'll need to upgrade to the 8
Old 12-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #30
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

For some reason I'm feelin' munchie...
Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #31
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I got the 6qt as a gift, went to exchange it for the 8 yesterday but they were out of stock, also wouldn't give me full value for the exchange so the upgrade fee is more than I was expecting. I took the 6 back with me for now still sealed, based on the notes from this thread I think I'll need to upgrade to the 8
I purchased the 8qt, Ben. Honestly I think I would have been happy with the 6qt. It's just 3 of us I'm cooking for, the 8qt is for just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
For some reason I'm feelin' munchie...
Come on down to sunny California, it's legal here in a few days
Old 12-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #32
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
I purchased the 8qt, Ben. Honestly I think I would have been happy with the 6qt. It's just 3 of us I'm cooking for, the 8qt is for just in case.
I only cook for 2 most days, I really want to just keep the 6 I just worry that one day I'll want to cook up a big chunk of meat and it won't fit in. I've never seen one in person other than the box, but I don't think I'll ever be putting anything too big in there. Plus I'm running out of kitchen storage space, so any space savings is useful
Old 12-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #33
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
I only cook for 2 most days, I really want to just keep the 6 I just worry that one day I'll want to cook up a big chunk of meat and it won't fit in. I've never seen one in person other than the box, but I don't think I'll ever be putting anything too big in there. Plus I'm running out of kitchen storage space, so any space savings is useful
We have the 6 and it’s fine — big enough for a pork shoulder

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #34
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
We have the 6 and it’s fine — big enough for a pork shoulder
Thanks, think I'm gonna stick with the 6, if I need to cook something bigger I can always use the Sous Vide
Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #35
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only reason I stuck with the 8qt was that it was $10 more than the 6qt, on black friday.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #36
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
The only reason I stuck with the 8qt was that it was $10 more than the 6qt, on black friday.
I'd be paying $50 extra, so 6qt it is. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:40 AM   #37
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Been having a lot of fun playing with the instant pot. So far I've made: beef stew, zuppa toscana, pasta with sauce and meatballs/sausage, risotto, ribs, and pork carnitas (probably a couple others). I think the ribs I made last night (like this but with only a salt/pepper rub) were the best thing out of it so far, the only I didn't like was the risotto... I don't know if I did it wrong but the texture was all off, felt more like a rice pilaf. Up the rest of this week is white chicken chili and roasting some chicken for a chopped salad. This is too easy it's almost cheating, I recommend to anybody thinking about getting one
Old 01-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #38
shade
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mark
Trading: (5)
shade will become famous soon enough

I picked up the 6qt during the amazon cyber Monday sale, and have used it a lot.

Most recently I tried my hand at making NY style cheesecakes in the pot. The results were remarkable. Dense, moist, melt in your mouth goodness. Made a caramel sauce to dress up the last one I made.

Another time saving application is making a dozen hard boiled eggs (I love egg salad) at a time. Crack them in a 7" cake pan, set the pan on a trivet and five minutes later you have a perfect hard boiled egg 'cake'.
shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #39
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough

I have an instant pot, and it is dope. I recommend getting the other non-stick bowl for when you want to make more "interesting" items.
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #40
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Made some braised lamb shanks yesterday to shred up and put on top of some homemade poutine, browned the shanks on sautee then took them out, put some broths in to mimic what was in the poutine gravy along with a few other aromatics then cooked on high pressure for 45 minutes, let it naturally release for about another 30 minutes (The rest of the meal wasn't ready so I let it do a full natural release to keep it hot), then took them out and the meat fell right off the bone, it was beautiful. I strained the rest of the liquid, put about 1/4C back in the instant pot with the chopped lamb to soak up some more of the juice on keep warm for about 5-10 minutes. Will deifnitely be cooking shanks like this again