Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 09-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ray Rice

The only thing I can add is that I thought the NFL's stance and subsequent invention of a new stance is deplorable.
They knew full well what happened. Rice got 2 games.
Then the video comes out, and that warrants an indefinate suspension.
So, what exactly does this say? It seems to suggest knocking your wife out is bad, but it's REALLY bad if it gets caught on video.

That's my first thought.
I do have to admit that I thought that his suspension may have been adequate based on the fact that his wife didn't press charges, and I assumed the NFL had to have a lot more information that perhaps somehow mitigated the severity of the crime. (Maybe she had a gun pointed at his head, or something along those lines, I was thinking.)
Once you've seen the video, you can see that he just did it matter-of-factly, and his body language showed no guilt or remorse whatsoever. Just another day in the office for Ray.

I hope he never comes back. It's about time the NFL took the trash out, whether it's going to cost owners a few bucks or not. The number of downright deplorable human beings they're harboring and coddling nowadays is just completely out of control.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #22
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Personally, it doesn't matter to me if the perpetrator was a male or female or if the victim was male of female, a crime is a crime and a (putting it very mildly) lapse in behavior is a lapse. For anyone who (for better or worse) is held to a higher standard (and often a higher salary and/or level of influence), such matters do matter a great deal.

In all of this, it seems to me that it is the NFL which is lacking. I do not forgive or in any way condone Rice's actions, but in this case I would expect him to be self-serving. As a result, I do agree with the analysis of John Stewart of The Daily Show in this matter.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1936383

I am not pushing any political slant for either The Daily Show or Jon Stewart. It is my opinion, in this case, that he speaks for my views and, perhaps, many here.

And finally, I send my thoughts and prayers to the victim who is now his wife. I pray that she never has to have this experience again and that her marriage is all that she hopes for it to be.
Couldn't agree more Mark. I think it's a little funked up that Goddell interviewed her about this situation with the abuser right next to her. I mean really!?!
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #23
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

The is evidence that the NFL had taken possession of the video, and at least one person viewed it, way back in April. Goddell is going to lose his job over this, rightfully so.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #24
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Curious to see what happens with AP.

click for story

Story linked gives a lot more info than I read on major sports websites.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #25
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I don't really think there's any type of argument/debate to be had regarding the entire situation.

We all know right and good from wrong and bad. Especially everyone whom I have interacted with here at CA. There is a code of ethics that we seem to all share. Respect, honor, etc....

I, for one, draw the proverbial "line in the sand" at domestic abuse. That is a place that just doesn't exist in my psyche. I honestly cannot comprehend hurting the person who makes my world a better place simply by being a part of it.

Did he get enough punishment? I don't know. There's always 3 sides to every story: what he said, what she said, and what really happened. The dishonor he brought upon himself should be, if he believes in that sort of thing.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #26
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Forget all this discussion....the most important issue hasn't even been touched yet.

So many first round fantasy picks are getting screwed.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #27
the jiggler
¡taste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about

Hard for me to reconcile an indefinite suspension for spousal battery with a ten week suspension for intoxication manslaughter (Josh Brent). In what world does it make sense for someone who killed somebody (a teammate to boot) to be reinstated while someone who cold cocks a woman is banned? This thread is not the only thing that needs to have politics kept out of it.

(It should go with out saying, but just to make sure I in no way condone anything about what Rice did.)
Old 09-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #28
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
The only thing I can add is that I thought the NFL's stance and subsequent invention of a new stance is deplorable.
They knew full well what happened. Rice got 2 games.
Then the video comes out, and that warrants an indefinate suspension.
So, what exactly does this say? It seems to suggest knocking your wife out is bad, but it's REALLY bad if it gets caught on video.
This. ^