Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
keith_mahoney
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Keith
Trading: (0)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
keith_mahoney is on a distinguished road
Default CI Blend Lab RH-5554

I received two of these from CI in addition to my eight cigar of the month club smokes. I smoked it after about 2 weeks in my humi. I'm pretty sure it was still too moist and fresh so I'll hold on to the other one for a while. It had a shaggy foot and pig tail cap.

This review isn't going to look very well organised. I just jotted down some thoughts on paper while smoking this a couple of weeks ago in order to help me develop my palate. Started this smoke with water.

Unlit smell of cocao and light spice. Pre-light draw tastes of cocao with a slight spice tingling on the lips.

Initial light up a bit harsh most likely from the shaggy foot causing a hot burn.
After an inch it mellowed out. Not sure of initial taste on exhale but slightly sweet for a moment and then becomes woody. A robust wood like oak though and not like the lighter tasting cedar I usually get from a cigar. Very interesting.

Ash was firm but dropped after 1.25 inches due to heavy winds.

2nd third brings a definite change in flavor. Less spice and more wood but now it's a different type of wood flavor like something you would use to smoke chicken of fish with. Still not Cedar.

After switching from water to rootbeer my mouth is stripped of lingering flavors which were starting to pile on each other. Now wood is taking a backseat to what brewers would recognize as crystal 120. It's kind of a fig flavor bordering on overcooked (but not burnt) toast.

Towards the end just a tabacco flavor pushing everything else out.

Did I like it? Yes. Would I buy it again? No but only because I am cheap and wouldn't spend $7 on one. Buying a smoke at that price point is reserved for special occasions and their are too many other smokes I want to sample. I am glad I have another one and will save it for a special occasion with at least 6 months age on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120222-00028.jpg (102.6 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by keith_mahoney; 03-18-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Picture
keith_mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CI Blend Lab RH-5554

The Blend Lab stuff seems interesting. I've never really looked into it, but do they tell you who makes them?

That's some damn good beer BTW!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I really dug these.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
Gooner
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chris
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gooner is on a distinguished road

Nice review Keith! Do you enjoy trappist beers as well?
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review, I received a couple of these as well and have been curious, I plan on smoking one this week.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
keith_mahoney
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Keith
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
keith_mahoney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
Nice review Keith! Do you enjoy trappist beers as well?
Yes, I lived in Belgium from 2007-2010 before moving to Hawaii. I wish I was still there. I miss the VTT's, the beer, the cheese, and the wood fired Fruit de mere pizzas.

It's not just the trappist beers. I mostly miss the little out of the way breweries you find out on motorcycle rides through the countryside. One of the favorites for me and my wife to stop by was Brasserie Ellezelles because it had nice smooth, twisty roads leading to it and great beer. And don't forget the whole town is decorated with witches everywhere.
keith_mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote