Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Cromagnon Mandible Petite Gordo

Name:  61.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  23.0 KB

TheCroMagnon is a new line of premium cigars developed through the collaborative efforts of Skip Martin, of Hava Cigar, and Michael Rosales, of Adrian’s Premium Costa Rican Cigars. It is the first of what will hopefully be many new lines to be produced by Adrian’s in Esteli, Nicaragua. The CroMagnon is sold exclusively through Hava Cigar in Austin, Texas.

The CroMagnon contains a long-filler, full-bodied blend of some of the world’s most sought after tobaccos. It features a beautiful US Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro wrapper, a unique Cameroon binder and an amazing marriage of three Nicaraguan varietals in the filler. The filler leaf for this blend was acquired from three separate growing regions in Nicaragua: Esteli, Condega and a small farm north of Esteli on the Honduran border.

This third leaf, a ligero, brings a strong, smoky, savory flavor to the blend. When combined with the mildly-sweet characteristics of the broadleaf maduro wrapper, the exotic bite of the Cameroon binder and the clean finish of its viso and seco companions, the blend delivers the precise deep rich tobacco flavor we wanted to present in the CroMagnon

So last week I ordered a 5ver of Cromagnon Mandible Petite Gordo's 4.5 x 60 because I had seen a few here and on the net, the cigar sounded interesting and looked AWESOME. They have been sitting in my humi. for just a few days but was anxious to fire one up, so last night when I got home from work I hit the backyard for a smoke.

Initial impression of this stick is that it is gorgeous, dark, oily maduro wrapper, thin veins and had great spice smell to it, clipped it and the cold draw was same hints of spice, mmmmmmm this will be good!

Name:  DSCF6036 (600 x 400).jpg
Views: 273
Size:  36.7 KB

The stick lit right up I and got a nice hit of spice right off the bat but that went away in the first few puffs, there was an underlying sweetness right off the bat wich continued throught the entire smoke, there was no pepper notes to this cigar, and the smoke coming off of the cigar was sweet as molasses. The burn was even and not one touch up. First third settled into a creamy sweet slightly spicy affair, lots of nice smoke and a firm salt and pepper ash.

Name:  DSCF6040 (600 x 400).jpg
Views: 274
Size:  47.4 KB

Now I am a full bodied/full flavored smoke guy and to me this was a strong smoke but it sneaks up on you because the flavors of the smoke are so sweet that it kind of tricks you into thinking this is a mild/medium stick, starting into the second third I was starting to feel a bit of the nicotine but the flavor profile stayed the same, still sweet with just hints of spice, man I was really wanting something else to kick in but it just never did, the sweetness was starting to get to me a bit, but I kept going hoping that the oils would have moved into the final third and it might change at the nub.

Name:  DSCF6041 (600 x 400).jpg
Views: 266
Size:  45.3 KB

Down to the final third and no change, man I was really trying to detect a change in the flavor profile but it just didn't happen, by now the sweetness was irritating me a little and was hoping for a little pepper to take some of the sweetness away but nope, I actually started getting a little bored with this. The strength was there though and I was really starting to feel this smoke, even on a full stomach, I had a DPG Firecracker a few nights before so maybe I was a little spoiled going into this one, the stick lasted about an hour but in a social setting it would easily go an hour and a half, but I was really concentrating on smoking this one.

Name:  DSCF6042 (600 x 400).jpg
Views: 270
Size:  42.7 KB

The 5ver cost me $32.50 and I doubt I would do it again, this smoke maybe awesome for someone who likes a sweeter smoke but it just didn't do it for me, but to each his own, give it a shot if it sounds good, it truly is a great looking/burning smoke.

Last edited by Remo; 07-14-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Remo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cromagnon Mandible Petite Gordo

Thanks for the review! I've been wondering about these.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Great review Mike! Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

This sounds very tasty to me, but I would need to find a single or a cheaper 5r to try it.
Thanks for the review.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Great review Mike

Maybe a little rest will help those out some!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

thanks for the review
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote