Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Costco vs. Sam's Club

I"ve been a Sam's Club member for the past 15+ years and have been hearing great things about Costco. Only problem is that there's a Sam's Club 5 minutes from my house while Costco is more like 20-25 minutes. However, there's a Costco very near where I'm doing clinicals and going to school for the next year at least.

What would be my reason to join Costco?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
pfm721
I bleed Orange and Blue

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
pfm721 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Costco vs. Sam's Club

Costco is way better across the board. Selection of meat, produce, and frozen food is way better. We don't have a costco in gainesville, but when I visit my parents I always go and bring back several packages of salmon filets. The fish selection at our Sam's is terrible.
pfm721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I saved over $ 450 on tires alone for my Durango at Costco...that alone lured me in over 4 years ago.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Been a member of Costco for years back when it was Price Club. Been in a Sam's Club and never been impressed. Have a Sam's Club 2 minutes from me and I drive 25 miles to the nearest Costco instead.

Go in and check it out, don't need a membershipt to look.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Much better food choices. They treat their employees much better. Overall, a little higher end selection. The "house" brand, Kirkland label stuff, is 95% of the time better than the name brand equivalents. Very high standards. I keep memberships to both also, as the time saved when you are next to one or the other is well worth the membership. Every day groceries? Either one, Sams with a slight edge there.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

i belong to both and prefer sams, but that could be the location i'm in
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
mariogolbee

Their hot dogs and pizza that they serve. You don't need a card for those, but it's extra incentive to go there.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I like Sams Club. Never been a costco fan. We did both for a few years.....never found too much at costco.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Don't need a card to buy alcohol, they'll loose the alcohol liscense if denied.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I am not sure the reasons for you, but for me....it is Costco and it isn't even close.... I have both within 4-5 miles.... In fact, multiple locations of both within the Valley.

I wish I had specific reasoning, but I really don't. Carried cards to both for a few years and then just dumped the Sam's card. I have been a few times since, never even thought about getting a card again.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Wanger

Wink Re: Costco vs. Sam's Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Much better food choices. They treat their employees much better. Overall, a little higher end selection. The "house" brand, Kirkland label stuff, is 95% of the time better than the name brand equivalents. Very high standards. I keep memberships to both also, as the time saved when you are next to one or the other is well worth the membership. Every day groceries? Either one, Sams with a slight edge there.
What Pete said. In a lot of consumer magazines, the Kirkland (Costco) brand gets very good ratings. We used to have a Sam's membership, and won't go back. We've been very pleased with everything that we've found there.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

i prefer Sams. Has more of the things I buy vs Costco. The Costco is across the street and Sams is 5 minutes away. Plus, Sams has gas and Costco doesn't
Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

One other advantage to Costco is that they extend the warranty on TVs and computers to 2 years from date of purchase.

I have a 32" TV we bought for the bedroom in October of 2009. It took a dump last month, and the manufacturers warranty is long over. Costco took over and had me take it to a repair shop where it's currently sitting. So far they've replaced the motherboard, and now are ordering a power supply board for it. Costco is handling the repair, and calls me every couple of days with updates. They've been absolutely fantastic the way they've handled it. A big to Costco.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

My sister is a manager at Sam's and while she'll say "shop Sam's" she readily admits that Costco has better quality produce, meats, food, and items in general. Price-wise I believe they're close, but Costco caters to an individual where Sam's caters to small businesses (i.e. bulk items and maybe not as high a quality to keep prices down).
Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Great prices and assortments but neither is known for their customer service.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #16
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
i prefer Sams. Has more of the things I buy vs Costco. The Costco is across the street and Sams is 5 minutes away. Plus, Sams has gas and Costco doesn't
The Costco location right night to the school/hospital I'll be at ~ 3 times/week has a gas station. It's probably an individual location thing like Sams.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #17
forgop
Not a puffer

Thanks for the responses-I'm going to go check it out I guess. If I like what I see, I'll be carrying out some pork butts and a beef brisket today.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #18
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

No Costco within a 2 hour radius of my house. Sam's is about 30 min. away, so that's my preference. My preference is based entirely on location.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #19
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Costco and I have a love/hate relationship, I love going there and my wallet hates me for it! I'd pick costco every time for selection and quality!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Costco all the way!