Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough
Default What is a GAR?

Apparently GAR's are on sale through holts high noon. 39.99 for 12. What are they? I have heard them talked about but dont know what they are.
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
dubnick

Default Re: What is a GAR?

G.A.R. is a blend by George A Rico.

I really enjoy them. Taste kind of like a chocolate bar dipped in coffee
Old 05-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Made in Dade
The Freedom Tower

Trading: (0)
Made in Dade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnick View Post
G.A.R. is a blend by George A Rico.

I really enjoy them. Taste kind of like a chocolate bar dipped in coffee
Old 05-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

George Rico is half of the father/son team who make the Gran Habanos.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
dubnick

Drazzil,

PM me your addy if you'd like to give 'em a try!
Old 05-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Lane..any pics of one?
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
dubnick

May be able to get one up later
Old 05-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Lane..I found one...looks mighty tasty.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
George Rico is half of the father/son team who make the Gran Habanos.
George Rico is no longer affiliated with the Gran Habanos line. I think he split with his son and decided to create his own line, the G.A.R. I like the GAR better than anything Gran Habanos ever produced.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
dubnick

I've had the Torp and Robusto... Both very tasty
Old 05-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I had one..

Here's a review I've posted on my blog.

Size: Robusto Grande

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Corojo
Binder: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Filler: Honduras

Price: Box of 20: $123.99

Body: Full

Appearence/construction: The G.A.R. has a mottled brown corojo wrapper, which is elegantly box pressed and fitted with a stark-white band. On it’s own, this simple cigar actually stands out quite a bit in a crowd, or in your humidor. No noticeable veins or construction imperfections were noticed. After cutting, I noticed a good draw, only with slight resistance.

Flavors: This cigar began with a bit of spice and a slight acrid taste. Honestly, it came off to a bad start. However, three or four draws later, the acrid taste faded and was replaced by a warm spice with woody undertones. By the second third, the cigar became noticeably creamier, and took on some slight earthiness. Finally, the tranisition into the last third was seamless; the earthiness and wood flavors became very dominant here, but still remianed creamy to the end. I can say here that this cigar has a healthy dose of Vitamin N, and I began to feel it at this point. So, an hour and half and a slight buzz later, and the cigar was done.

Overall: I can say that this cigar truly held its own. The flavors that this G.A.R. exhibited and its healthy dose of Vitamin N made a cold winter evening more enjoyable. For those of you who enjoy these flavors, and like fuller cigars, I urge you to try this out

Last edited by Emjaysmash; 05-21-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Parts disobey CA law
Emjaysmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Sounds mighty tasty...cigar intl is the only one I can find with them..and they only sell by the fiver. Not sure if I am willing to buy a fiver..is it worth it?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #13
dubnick

I'd say yes... After trying the Torp I went for a fiver of the Robusto's. I really enjoyed them. Great with coffee.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Robustos VS Torpedo????
Old 05-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
taltos
Really, really old

taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
George Rico is no longer affiliated with the Gran Habanos line. I think he split with his son and decided to create his own line, the G.A.R. I like the GAR better than anything Gran Habanos ever produced.
That is true but I thought that it might be a useful frame of reference. This was all spelled out in the email announcing the sale.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Thanks for all the info...just pulled the trigger on the high noon special...12 for $ 38.95...thanks again!!
Old 05-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #17
taltos
Really, really old

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Sounds mighty tasty...cigar intl is the only one I can find with them..and they only sell by the fiver. Not sure if I am willing to buy a fiver..is it worth it?
You can also try Best Cigar Prices, Atlantic Cigars and Famous Smokes. All of these site addresses are posted in the stickys at the top of the page under online help.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Thanks Paul...appreciate the assistance!!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
dubnick

Torpedo for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Robustos VS Torpedo????
Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #20
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I just picked up the High Noon special based on what I've read here. Thanks guys!

MCS