Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #41
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

I've been evolving into quite the pepin whore. I love the red pepper/spice that comes with his blends.

This may be a dumb question, but what is so different about his cigars/tobacco that gives it that pepper flavor? I've picked up hints of spice in other cigars, but nothing quite as obvious as his blends.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #42
smokeyscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDMatt View Post
I agree. Also, when you attempt to light a cigar by drawing on it, it seems to be bitter, like and overheated cigar (ex. smoking too quickly). I feel that by toasting the end, you get a cooler, smoother smoke and a more even burn throughout.
All the points that Steve quoted and his are accurate IMO. I also think there is a scientific side to toasting. If done correctly, it allows the tobacco to warm up at an even pace. This way it will accept a light more evenly. IMO, it is the opposite of putting a steak on a hot grill. The outside of the steak sears. I like my steaks seared, but not my cigars. On the emotional side, toasting allows me to settle in to the whole experience of the cigar. Just my .
Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #43
smokeyscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbaseg View Post
I've been evolving into quite the pepin whore. I love the red pepper/spice that comes with his blends.

This may be a dumb question, but what is so different about his cigars/tobacco that gives it that pepper flavor? I've picked up hints of spice in other cigars, but nothing quite as obvious as his blends.
I talked with a tobacconist about this once. His explanation was that Pepin's rolling style as well as the tobacco adds to the flavor of his blends. "He [Pepin] rolls his cigars in the old Cuban style", he said. Which I understood to mean that they are rolled wet (fresh), then aged for a period, while others roll aged tobacco and age some more. I just took his word for it.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #44
Linus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Ok. I have a question: what's the significance of the different colours of ash? I've seen gray, brown/beige, white and black. I suspect there's a chemical reason for it but I was curious if anyone knows of a layman's definition of each.
Well, I've found the answer to my own question in a great YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4RB5lP7yzs
Old 11-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #45
jbonnefsc

I was wondering if I could get some questions answered on Herf Etiquette.

I will be attending my first this weekend in Tampa, FL and I'm wondering a few things...

It just seems strange, i guess, to show up at someone's house I've never met before. I'm very excited, but could you share your first herf story to give me an idea what to expect? Also, What sort of things to I bring? (A house warming gift for the Host?)

I'm a noob, but I want to try and blend in as best as possible...

Thanks!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #46
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonnefsc View Post
Also, What sort of things to I bring? (A house warming gift for the Host?)

Thanks!!!
I would say bring some smokes to share/trade, particularly something you like. Doesn't have to be a whole bunch of Opus X or something you go out an buy a box of just for the herf, but something you don't mind sharing with others that you really like and that others may not have tried. A gift for the host might be nice, perhaps a bottle of his favorite ripple, or a nice 5 pack.
Just my but I am sure there are far more experienced herfers than I out there
Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #47
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
I would say bring some smokes to share, particularly something you like. Doesn't have to be a whole bunch of Opus X or anything, but something you don't mind sharing with others that they may not have tried. A gift for the host might be nice, perhaps a bottle of his favorite ripple, or a nice 5 pack.
Just my but I am sure there are far more experienced herfers than I out there

Relax and have fun.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #48
kayaker

Here's a question for you about veins.

I have read reviews from fellow inmates with comments about there being no veins in the wrapper.

What constitutes a vein? All the various cigars I've tried have what I would call veins. Some are smaller than others.

Can you refer me to any photo comparisons?

Thanks,

Ian
Old 11-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #49
Bobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Here's a question for you about veins.

I have read reviews from fellow inmates with comments about there being no veins in the wrapper.

What constitutes a vein? All the various cigars I've tried have what I would call veins. Some are smaller than others.

Can you refer me to any photo comparisons?

Thanks,

Ian
Hey Ian!

I will do my best to explain what I mean by veins (this may be different from others.) I am not a botanist so I cannot tell you what causes the differences in leaves, but I have spent a good amount of time smoking and contemplating cigars so I can tell you what I have noticed in the smoke. Also, these pictures are ones I took a few minutes ago. I do not have a huge assortment here in Alaska, but I think I found a couple of good candidate for both scenarios (and yes I know they look a little dry. The interior of Alaska is very cold and VERY dry and my beads have not yet made their way up here. My folks should be sending them shortly )

First of all...tobacco is a leaf, and leaves have veins, so every cigar you smoke will have SOME veins. I believe a cigar is labeled "veiny" or 'having little to no veins" depending on how large the veins are and whether or not they will affect the smoke.

Veiny:

These cigars have thick veins that feel rough to the touch (they may sometimes be like small twigs they are so thick.) I find that thick veins tend to affect the draw and burn of a cigar more than the taste; however, if you are constantly sucking hard on a stick to keep it lit, it will more than likely heat up on you and get bitter...so I guess it can affect taste somewhat. It also takes away from the aesthetic appeal of the smoke, which to most S/BOTL, adds to the overall enjoyment of a cigar.

Little to no veins:

These cigars still have veins, but they are very thin and can barley be felt by running your fingers over them. When someone describes a cigar as being "silky" they are probably noticing the lack of thick veins. These cigars tend to burn more consistently and have fewer plugs.

Since there are three parts to a cigar, veins affect your smoking experience in different ways. Thick veins in the filler will more than likely affect the draw where thick veins in the wrapper/binder will probably affect the burn. Large/thick veins does not always mean it is a bad smoke. Sometimes the veins do nothing to a cigar other than make it look slightly less pretty.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #50
jbonnefsc

Lately, some of the cigars I've smoked from my humidor have tunneled. What I mean is that the wrapper is burning slower than the filler and binder. What could cause this? The cigars have been different brands abd sizes. My humidty and temprature has been at 66 percent and 72 degrees. My humi is well stocked, a nearly full 50 count. Help me!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #51
SteveDMatt
I can't think of anything

First Name: uhhh, Steve
Trading: (5)
SteveDMatt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lately, some of the cigars I've smoked from my humidor have tunneled. What I mean is that the wrapper is burning slower than the filler and binder. What could cause this? The cigars have been different brands abd sizes. My humidty and temprature has been at 66 percent and 72 degrees. My humi is well stocked, a nearly full 50 count. Help me!
Posted via Mobile Device
The most common reason for this is that the outer layers of tobacco are more humid that the middle most filler. It could be from the cigars having been dried out then rehydrated, just not all the way though. This may even be from the retailer.

How long have they been at 66 and in your possession? Also, are they in an area where the temperature fluctuates? Temperature can affect humidity more than you would think.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #52
jbonnefsc

Each over a month. The temperature shouldn't be fluctuating much, though I did take the humidor with me home from college over spring break. Would a 2 hour hot car ride cause this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #53
SteveDMatt
I can't think of anything

First Name: uhhh, Steve
Trading: (5)
SteveDMatt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Each over a month. The temperature shouldn't be fluctuating much, though I did take the humidor with me home from college over spring break. Would a 2 hour hot car ride cause this?
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't think a 2 hour car ride would affect them at all.

Maybe a FOI could offer some other reasoning. I'm a little stumped. A month in a controlled environment should be plenty of time to stabilize.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #54
GhostRyder
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Sam
Trading: (2)
GhostRyder is on a distinguished road

Alright, I have a beginner-type question here. I've never smoked a cigar with a cap on the foot before (I'm sure there is a proper term, but I don't know it). I recently picked up a Hemingway Short Story to try on for size and I noticed that it has one of these footcaps. Do I cut it off or light it with the foot intact? If I do cut it, am I going for the same kind of cut that I make on the head of the cigar?
GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #55
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRyder View Post
Alright, I have a beginner-type question here. I've never smoked a cigar with a cap on the foot before (I'm sure there is a proper term, but I don't know it). I recently picked up a Hemingway Short Story to try on for size and I noticed that it has one of these footcaps. Do I cut it off or light it with the foot intact? If I do cut it, am I going for the same kind of cut that I make on the head of the cigar?
It is called a perfecto.
No need to cut the foot. Light up and enjoy.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #56
bigliver
Cigarmurai

First Name: Jason
Trading: (9)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
bigliver will become famous soon enough

What is dry boxing and will it help a cigar that is rolled just a touch too tight? Thanks for the help.
bigliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #57
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigliver View Post
What is dry boxing and will it help a cigar that is rolled just a touch too tight? Thanks for the help.
It's putting the cigar in a humidor with very low humidity or no humidification at all for any period from a few hours to 10 days to improve the smoking quality of the cigar (flavor, burn, draw, etc.). Generally yes, it tends to help with tighter draws to dry-box the cigar for a while. Some cigars are just plain tight though.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #58
joetownhound
EYH Survivor

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (18)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
joetownhound will become famous soon enough

I just made a dumb noob mistake or move. I had started smoking a Boli the other day and had put it out only after smoking about 1/4 inch of it because I couldn't taste it because of the cold I have. Well not wanting to waste a cigar I put it in a seal bag and placed it into the coolerdor thinking it will be all right (this was Monday). Well when I went into my cooler today to get some cigars out I smelled a strong smoky odor. I'm emptying my cooler as I type this now and is going to wash it out with mild solution and baking soda to try to get rid of the smell. My question is have I done some damage to my cigars that was in the cooler that can't be repaired. What can I do to lessen the damage that is already done. Thanks in advance for answers The smell is in my beads also so is this a concern I should worry about also

Last edited by joetownhound; 12-17-2008 at 01:07 PM.
joetownhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #59
abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
I have heard the term "forced fermented" for NC's any idea what this is?
There are different way for leaves (not rolled cigars)
for CC leaves for premium Cigars we have the Air cure. It is done in the "Casa del Tabaco" where the nautral climate makes the leaves to turn from green to dark.
There is for NC different way for cure.

It is done in rooms where the temperature and Humy are controlled (sometimes with some fires). The process is delicate, a small mistake can spoil everithing.
In this way you can choose even the wrapper colour.

In Cuba they did some experiment with this method for getting the AMS capa colour - aka Capa Candela. This is for the embargo end.

AB
Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 PM   #60
hdmyg85

Default Water pipes

Last edited by pnoon; 12-31-2008 at 10:38 PM.