Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Thick, Crispy Bacon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaVeCa View Post
When are we "grilling" again? It's been cold enough the last couple of nights.

I dunno, but I found my lighter, so no more matches!
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #62
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I admire people who can pile of mounds of bacon in a pan, cook it to their satisfaction and dump it on a plate, shiney and hot, and commence to eat.
When I was camping last year, I got so pissed off at the frying pan and the bacon not coming out of the slab right, that I just dumped it out in a ball, and I WAS SURPRISED that by the end of the fry, it had all gotten done to a turn. It is a huge mess in the beginning, but it sorts itself out soon enough. BUT like the OP said, I AM more of a linear strip guy, sometimes it just gets out of hand, at least withthin bacon. Trying to peel it off sometimes it stretches all to hell and back. That's when I dump.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #63
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
When I was camping last year, I got so pissed off at the ... bacon ... sometimes it just gets out of hand ... with thin bacon.
Thin bacon may have a place with non-smokers and, sometimes, on camping trips when grocery choices can be limited. I am happy your scrawney bacon-wad worked itself out but I take your saga to carry an explicit warning: thin bacon causes rage.

All my bacon-related threads, with and without nitrites, are fully committed to "thick" bacon. Lets all wish OLS a Happy Thanksgiving and, at this moment, take a few seconds of silence to think how his tragedy could have avoided or, worse yet how it could have been our own.

(tap tap tap tap tap)

So, that said, protect yourself and your loved ones this holiday season (and all the time, really). Let everybody with sense enough to be in this thread keep their eye on the ball. Stick with the thick cut stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #64
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

All my bacon-related threads, with and without nitrites, are fully committed to "thick" bacon. Lets all wish OLS a Happy Thanksgiving and, at this moment, take a few seconds of silence to think how his tragedy could have avoided or, worse yet how it could have been our own.
Oh take my word for it, I LOOOVVE me some thick bacon. In fact, there really is no other kind of "bacon" is there.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #65
muziq
Local Artard

Trading: (4)
ERdM Army (Served With Honor)
muziq is on a distinguished road

Visited my go-to place for bacon--Coursey's, in St. Joe, Arkansas. In the past, I've ordered over the phone, having received a gift parcel of 5 lbs from my grandmother some 5 or 6 years ago and loving it ever since. But before this last week, I'd not actually *been* to Coursey's, which is a fairly out-of-the-way place in North Central Arkansas. From my visit I learned that they not only do an *amazing* job of smoking their bacon, but they also make some of the best smoked cheddar and smoked swiss I've ever had. Period. In addition to what I picked up (photo below), I also snagged some of their smoked cheddar, seasoning meat for ham'n'beans, and a few road sandwiches featuring their smoked ham and turkey. Just amazing. If you find yourself on HWY 65 somewhere between Branson, MO and Little Rock, I highly recommend finding this place.

That's the "new" sign out front...

Five lbs of the best bacon I've ever had...
Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #66
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziq View Post
Visited my go-to place for bacon--Coursey's, in St. Joe, Arkansas.

Wow. Just wow. Raw bacon pictures...
Old 12-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #67
muziq
Local Artard

Quote:
Wow. Just wow. Raw bacon pictures...
The smoke on this stuff is so pungent, cooking it fills the house for *days* with the sweet scent of fried bacon. It's cut real thick, too. We save the grease for doing up the green beans real nice...
Old 12-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #68
JaVeCa

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziq View Post

That sir, is a beautiful sight...
Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #69
GTS21
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
Vegueros
GTS21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Raisin (Mike)'s bacon is the Shiznit! Nothing better.
Yep yep! I'm a man who knows his bacon (as my incredible fatness will attest), and Mike's bacon is FANTASTIC
GTS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #70
jonharky
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jon
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
jonharky will become famous soon enough

Bacon is very tasty between 2 pieces of toast that have been coated with extra crunchy peanut butter
jonharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #71
FXAdam
Meep!

ERdM
FXAdam is on a distinguished road

Seems like this might be a good place for this link.

http://bacontoday.com/

Mmm, bacon. The finest of the meats. I'd say the best I ever had was a random package of "Bacon Ends" I stumbled across at a meat market in the city I grew up in in. It was so good. Every time I would go back there I would look for more of it but they only ever had it the one time. It was very sad.

Now I'm in a land (South Korea) where the availability of bacon is pretty hit or miss. Some stores have stuff they call bacon but it really isn't the same. At the moment i have found a source of pretty good bacon but I will be moving from here at the end of the week so who knows what I'll be able to get next

It's too bad because they eat tons of pork here. Whole restaurants dedicated to pork consumption, especially the bits that in a logical world would become bacon. It's called Samgyeopsal and it's pretty good in it's own right but every time you eat a piece you can't help but think that it is really kind of a waste.
FXAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #72
Grumbles
Just in from the Storm

Grumbles is on a distinguished road

I am a serious bacon lover... I usually don't mind what kind I buy, because in my opinion it's all about how you cook it...

I don't like my bacon too crispy...firm would be a better word with a bit of stiffness to it, but I love chewy bacon!!! When I shop for bacon I probably piss off the poor meat aisle workers... feel free to ask ToddziLLa, who I cook for on occasion, I literally inspect the whole section looking for a good meat to fat ratio.... that's one key. The marble, if you will, can be great on some trips and others just so so.

Cooking it is the key, as I said earlier. I am a big fan of black pepper, so I put a lot of it on my bacon. The temperature of the stove is what counts most for bacon how I like it. On most stoves that means just under medium heat. I can fill up the pan and it still turns out ok now days... at first I didn't cook too much at once.

I drain mine on paper towels as most of you all do, but I don't remove it. As I take bacon off the stove I pile it in a mound over the existing. This helps keep the bottom dwellers from drying out too much and cooling down....

SO that's my bacon story... hopefully one day I can cook you guys a big mess of it at a herf.

Ben
Grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #73
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbles View Post
I am a serious bacon lover... I literally inspect the whole section looking for a good meat to fat ratio... Ben
Don't we all?

Brilliant first post in a cigar and pipe forum. Welcome, Baconhead.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #74
Grumbles
Just in from the Storm

Grumbles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't we all?

Brilliant first post in a cigar and pipe forum. Welcome, Baconhead.
I guess that is pretty bad this was my first post.... I posted in the new inmate area, but I saw bacon and had to bite on this one too!!!

Cooking is my true first love, and I just recently jumped into the world of cigars. Once I learn more about them I will be posting up a ton... as for now it will be limited to reviews and b/s on here I am afraid!

Ben
Grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #75
dadof3illinois

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (2)
Partagas
dadof3illinois is on a distinguished road

Fresh side bacon smoked then fried in a cast iron skillet over an open fire is out of this world. Then take some thick sliced bread and fry it in the same skillet with the left over bacon fat unilt it's crisp.......
dadof3illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #76
Cigarmark

Anyone ever try this?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #77
muziq
Local Artard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarmark View Post
Anyone ever try this?

There's a candy store in Austin that sells this...came really close to trying it, but the GF was so aghast at the idea of choco-covered bacon that I resigned to return on my own sometime and try it. What's not to love? Chocolate = good. Bacon = GOOD!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 AM   #78
Redbaron
Blank

Trading: (1)
HdM
Redbaron is on a distinguished road

The best bacon comes from a gentleman in NJ. His screen name is that of a shriveled grape.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #79
Heliofire
Ward Photographer

Trading: (14)
Bolivar
Heliofire is on a distinguished road

My wife's mother gave me the best gift I have ever gotten last Christmas, which was a membership to a bacon of the month club. What could be better than getting to try a new bacon that you have never heard of or tasted before. But now I have a problem, the best bacon that I tried during my membership was from Hudson Valley Smokehouse, but I can't find it anywhere on the net, their website worked back in march but not now. I know that they were in New York State, but I can't find any info on them, and I really what to get more of their bacon, It was so thick that you only got 8 slices per pound. So if anyone out there knows anything about The Hudson Valley Smokehouse I would greatly appreciate the info.
Heliofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #80
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Here is what I have been able to find out about the Hudson Valley Smokehouse: Address Hudson Valley Smokehouse
Post Office Box 1345
Wappingers Falls, NY 12590

Phone 1-(800)324-3119

Site www.HudsonValleySmokehouse.com

I was not able to get through on their website and have not had the time to call them. Maybe this information will help you though. You might also be able to get more information from the following site:
www.farmfresh.dutchesstourism.com

Both sites are down today. Might be due to severe weather in the northeast that includes power outages. Hope that this info helps. Paul

Last edited by taltos; 12-12-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added information
taltos is offline   Reply With Quote