Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Resipsa

Default Beer Cellaring

I was looking for some good candidates for cellaring and came across this site which seems to be dead now, but has a lot of good info and links to other sites, as well as some real world info on beers he has cellared and the results he got.

http://www.brewbasement.com/

In an odd twist, it looks like this guy lives right in my area. Wonder what happenned to him.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beer Cellaring

Thanks for the link Vic.

This is a whole new adventure for me and would be curious to hear what others are putting away.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Resipsa

Dave, I'm going to pick up a case of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot this weekend to start my stash. This seems to be a very well regarded choice for cellaring that's easy enough to find.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I'm going to put 12-24 bottles of John Henry 3 Lick Spiker Ale away.

I already got 08 bottles of Chimay put away and some Founders Backwoods Bastard.

Also planning on going to Three Floyds Dark Lord day and burying some bottles to stash.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

If you are buying beer right now for cellaring, go for the Anchor Holiday Magnums 2009. They're easier to cellar as they have a bottle cap and they outstanding with 3+ years age. Once they're gone, that's it, and it's already March.

Other than immediate suggestion there are a ton of beers you can cellar. Personally, I like the large format bottles. If you putting the time and effort into, the bottle might as well be a special event.

Beer, like Madeira is stored upright.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I try very hard to cellar beers but it doesnt always work out.
Im starting to put away some Barley wines and Imperial stouts.
Usually beers with high alcohol content cellar the best.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Resipsa

I was able to score a case of North Coast Old Rasputin today, kind of hard to find around here and it goes in the cellar, which now consists of a case of 2010 Bigfoot and a case of Old Rasputin, 4 bottles of Stone 2009 RIS, 4 bottles of North Coast 2008 Old Stock Ale, and 4 bottles of DFH 2009 World Wide Stout.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

I've been "cellaring" beer for a few years now, funny as I was just commenting to Dave that I need to refocus on putting more beers away (at least I have stayed away from drinking all but a few from my cellar).

I have read that blog before, and it is a shame it hasn't been kept up.
My favorite "resource" for beer cellaring is the forum on beeradvocate.com, they have a whole forum category dedicated to just discussing cellaring beer. It's great because you can discuss potential, or ask how "x" beer does with a few years age, etc.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
NeverEnoughStick

Im pretty new to aging beer and had a quick question. When you guys cellar your beer do you place them in a fridge or do you put them in a cool dry place like your basement or something?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnoughStick View Post
Im pretty new to aging beer and had a quick question. When you guys cellar your beer do you place them in a fridge or do you put them in a cool dry place like your basement or something?
May have more detail than you seek...... but, really.... is too much ever enough?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnoughStick View Post
Fridge will dry up the cork too fast and beer is stored upright, so put in as cool dry place as you can find. Basement is good call and where I store mine. Put the beer on the concrete if it's not that cool. Hopefully the floor temp radiation will cool the beer some more. Larger bottles are easier to age if less than ideal settings.

Just be careful buying the beer. You don't want something already skunked. Try to get something special ordered right from the distributor. Often times, big bottles are stored up high and heat rises. Also, in the winter the heater can negatively effect beer at a liquor store. It's actually safer to buy in the summer as it's always air conditioned that time of year. You should know what the storage conditions have been up till you buy it.

750's are usually safe. I am talking about being cautious on 3L+ size bottles.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #12
NeverEnoughStick

Thanks for the help guys!