Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about
Default Padron 45th Maduro-It Frakin' ROCKS!

For as long back as I can remember in my smoking life, the name "Padron" has been synonymous with three things: Quality, Flavor and Expensive as Hell.

Well, I am happy, happy and unhappy to report that their new stick does not disappoint on any of those attributes.

The newest cigar from Jorge Padron, officially named the Padron Family Reserve No. 45 Maduro, (and unofficially nicknamed "The Hammer") is a reblended version of an almost mythical cigar, the Padron Family Reserve, which is a cigar that can be obtained only by being given one by Padron himself (or presumably any one of the extended family, although I have not confirmed that as of yet). The 45th in the name is to commemorate the company's fact that Padron has been doing business for 45 years, and the cigars were scheduled to be in stores by September 8th, which is the actual day of the anniversary.

As with most other Padron sticks, this cigar is offered in both Maduro and Natural wrappers, although the Natural version is said to be quite a bit more rare. All of the tobacco in the cigars has been aged 10 years, and each of the versions come in a great little box of 10, instead of the standard 25.

Enough chitchat, let's get down to business, shall we?

* Country of Origin: Nicaragua
* Wrapper: Nicaragua
* Binder: Nicaragua
* Filler: Nicaragua
* Size: 6 Inches (Box Pressed Toro)
* Ring Gauge: 52
* Est. Price: $25 (MSRP)
* Date Released: September 8, 2009

The first thing you notice when you pick up this stick is the color...it is a reddish, chocolate brown...The second thing you notice is the EXTREME box press...this fraker is SQUARE...it is almost distracting, how much box press it has on it... The band is wonderful, great color (especially against the dark wrapper) and what I would call the definition of "Classy".

The dark wrapper is very toothy, almost rough, and smells distinctly of Chocolate and Cinnamon...The cigar itself is VERY firm, almost rock hard (as are most Padrons I have smoked)...It exudes quality and there is no doubt you are holding an expensive cigar.

From the first puff after lighting, I was literally BLASTED with spice that made my mouth tingle...This was a bit surprising in a Padron stick, and I was taken aback by it for a moment...The spice continued at that level for about 15 puffs, then diminished just a bit, and flavors of oak and chocolate came in...but the spice was VERY strong for the whole 1st third...

In the second third, the spice calmed down quite a bit (I would say about 40% or so), but remained in the background just enough to accentuate the other flavors of a great earthy wood (almost gritty), leather and dark chocolate...

In the last third, the spice picked back up, almost (but not quite) to the level of the beginning...not overwhelming at all, and the leather, earth and chocolate continued until the end of the smoke...the cigar did not get hot at the end at all, and I was able to nub it easily...

Final Notes:

* This is EASILY the strongest (and most spicy) Padron I have ever smoked.

* I kept mentioning the spice in this stick for the whole review, and I honestly believe it is the major reason this is such a great cigar...The flavors were great of course (but they always are in a Padron, let's be honest), but the spice was perfectly balanced with the rest of the flavors, which really took it over the top in terms of overall experience (unlike, say, the Padron 80th, which I believe tried to accomplish the same effect, but fell FAR short).

* As I was writing this review, I just got the newest Cigar Aficionado Insider in my inbox, and CA gave this stick a 94 rating, and they got it right (for once).

* This was not the most complex of cigars, but most Padrons aren't...the greatness of the Padron blend is the quality of the entire stick: from the feel before you light it, to the burn and draw (which have been perfect every time I have smoked one, and this one was no exception), to the amazingly consistent flavors...When you pick up a Padron, you know Exactly what you are going to taste, and that is not easy to accomplish in the cigar world.

* I noticed the strength of this cigar at the end...honestly, it kinda snuck up on me at the end...Do NOT take this stick lightly, or it will bite you in the ass...

The Bottom Line: The thought that kept running through my head the entire time I was smoking this was that the best way to describe this stick was a cross between a Pepin and a Padron...It seems to incorporate the best of both worlds: the unmistakable flavor (and quality) of a Padron, with the punch of a Pepin. It is quite literally the best Padron I have ever smoked, even better then my beloved '64 Imperial Natural, which has been a staple of mine for years. If you can find them, I would buy them.

Final Score: 95

~brooks
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote