Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice
Default The Last Ride (Long Winded)

What a great time the last few days have been,
I signed on for a short “Last drive” with the “26” and officially told the cattlemen’s Assn. to take my name off the call list because I was retiring from steer bustin.
Well someone made some phone calls … The drive was moved up to Saturday because the weather was drop dead perfect and some city folk were guestin’ at the ranch.
By Sunday afternoon we’d brought in 300 head like a bunch of rootin tootin cowboys and put on a bit of a show for the ranch guests … Always Fun.
As I’m getting ready to pack up I recognize a truck and trailer in the lot, My old pard “Cash” is there!
Cash is from New Mexico, he’s in his 70’s and has rode just about every brand in the West at one time or another, He’s an old school Cowboy’s Cowboy.
As I’m getting ready to ask him just what in theeee hell he’s doing there a little boy of about 10 or 12 years old walks up to us two old farts and says “Excuse me sir, But are you two really cowboys?”
Cash looks at the kid and says “Well son, I’m just a beat up old man” then he slaps my back and says
“This feller here, Now he’s a real Cowboy” … That coming from the man that I consider to be THE Cowboy about brought a lump to my throat. The youngster asks if he can have his picture taken with us and we oblige … Wow talk about a humbling experience.
Cash then tells me to just load up in his truck that were going for a ride, And that my Wife already knows I’ll be gone for a couple more days. ….Hmmmmmm.
We head out towards Hoops grazing lands in New Mexico and are soon on a two track headed out on the plateau, We pull up to a ready made camp where I find Hoop, Rooster and AJ from Kingman,
Pete from up in Seligman and Roy and Dick from Round Valley / Red Hill.
Now, mind you Cowboy’s are NOT sentimental types, We don’t tear up over stuff, we don’t give each other “Man Hugs” But we also don’t say goodbye. …Be seein’ ya pard .
They tell me that this is a retirement party of sorts, they figure I needed one since when I got drug through 300 yards of fence line by a pack of half crazed steers back in 95’ and was just too stupid and hard headed to quit then that maybe if they did this I’d wake up and smell the coffee and get the hint.
Damn but we had a good time, By day we rode leisurely out on the plateau and chased coyote’s and jack Rabbits …By night we ate Jack Rabbit stew and drank enough whiskey to float an armada !
We talked, we reminisced …They put it all back into prospective for me.
Made me glad for who I was … And who I AM.
Though Hoop did tell me that Retired or not I wasn’t getting out of helping him every now and then.
This morning I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMko5...eature=related
Go have a listen for me, And raise a glass to old cowboys like Cash, Hoop and the rest of us.
A dieing breed who work in dust and rain to bring in America’s Beef Steak.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Trading: (14)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Last Ride (Long Winded)

That ain't long winded enough for me. What a great story. What great friends to have. Not to mention the great life you've lived. Thanks for sharing.
Blindjimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I concur, Stitch. A great story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Sam Elliot just narrated that in my head, and it was good.

Glad to hear you had a good "Last Blast" (officially, that is )
Old 10-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

great story, props off to you my friend. Truely one of a kind.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
ahc4353

One of Willies finest songs. Brought a smile.

Thank you for including us in this special time of your life Jeff. I really think you should consider writing a book. Just keep it in short story form like above. Glimpses into a part of Americana such as what you have to offer needs to be saved for future generations.

I hope one day we can share that drink and cigar.

For now all I have is a virtual man hug (it's ok nobody's lookin).

Wishing the new chapter in your life be as filled with happy moments as the past ones.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindjimme View Post
That ain't long winded enough for me. What a great story. What great friends to have. Not to mention the great life you've lived. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
Riff Raff
Habitual Offender

First Name: Bill
Trading: (11)
Montecristo Navy (Served With Honor)
Riff Raff is on a distinguished road

Stitch, that is awesome! When you started the story and mentioned the 26, immediately I started singing the song about the Arizona Rangers in my head. Do you know it? "This is the story of 26 men, that rode the Arizona Territory!" It was from an old '50s TV show.

Also, I used to live on the Wilkenson spread in Prescott. Out in Granite Dells, the running W. I sure do miss it! I would love to read some of your stories!
Riff Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
timo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (0)
timo will become famous soon enough

You should take up writing in your retirement. That was an exceptional read. Thanks cowboy

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics
timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Thanks for the story! An excellent midday interlude.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

What a cool story! I could stand to read a lot more. Thank you for sharing.
Posted via Mobile Device
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
Moglman
tongue tied and twisted

First Name: Scott
Trading: (7)
RG
Moglman will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the heartfelt story, one that makes me think about life lived hard and honest. I knew many cowboys growing up in Colorado had my respect hasn't diminished.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
Stitch, that is awesome! When you started the story and mentioned the 26, immediately I started singing the song about the Arizona Rangers in my head. Do you know it? "This is the story of 26 men, that rode the Arizona Territory!" It was from an old '50s TV show.

Also, I used to live on the Wilkenson spread in Prescott. Out in Granite Dells, the running W. I sure do miss it! I would love to read some of your stories!
I drove through the Dells last year, Every inch of ground from Paulden to PV (Jackass Flats) has a housing unit on it ...the Dells aint much more than that pile of rocks on 89 any more ...And the 89A cut off is like a four lane super highway now ... The old Territorial Capital (Prescott) and PV aint what they used to be.
I grew up cowboyin' north of Kingman, in 75' when my Father died I became a Marine, Ten years later I went back to cowpunchin ...After I got hurt in 95' runnin steers was what made me feel like I still had some toughness left in me.
Even after I got old and sore it was still the only thing that made me feel like I still had some Hard chargin kick ass and take names in me.
It's been a good run ... My Fellow Vaquero's have made me proud of who I was , And glad for who I am.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for sharing the story.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

What a great read . Thanks for sharing that. We have some professional cowboys here in the back country at Warner Springs Ranch. There is no such thing as a lazy cowboy. They start work before daybreak and are still working well after dark - every day! Feeding horses, loading cattle, mending fences...you name it. I try to make it over to the ranch when they castrate the young bulls. The rope work is amazing. They almost never miss the bull's back legs with that lasso from on top of a moving horse, 15-20 feet from the bull. Talk about hand-eye coordination .

Enjoy your retirement, stitch. Surely you deserve it.

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Mmmmmmmm .... Fresh Oysters!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Stitch, my friend, that is one of the best stories I've read in a long time sir. Thank you so much for sharing!
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #18
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Stitch... great story, told by a great storyteller.

Sounds like the perfect retirement party for a real cowboy.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

A Young Stitch
And YES ... I still have that hat 12 years later!
An Old Stitch
Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #20
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Great read Stitch!!!

Thanks for sharing with us!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote