Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
cigaman1979

Default Flake tobaccos ???

I've never smoked a flake tobacco before, but have been thinking more and more about getting some soon. So I was wondering what the top recomended flakes were. I understand that it's all opinion, but I figure if there are a few that seem to make everyones list(or at least the majority)....they're worth a try. I'm probably going to pick up a few tins as I don't really want to pay shipping on, say, $11. So let's have it, what are your favorite flakes?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flake tobaccos ???

Favorite flakes include:

1792 by Gawith
Solani #633
Peterson's Univeristy Flake
St. James flake
Old 06-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Dunhill Light Flake - can hardly go wrong with this one
Old 06-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

I think everyone will agree on Peterson's University Flake, such a good standby. I'd add C&D Bayou Morning Flake, McClelland Christmas Cheer, Escudo, and a couple Latakia blends to the list. I would put more there, but they'd all end up being VAs or VaPers.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
cigaman1979

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/...roduct_id=2000

I was adviced to buy this butera flake by a friend whose reviews I really appreciate.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I love Peterson's Irish Flake, but I usually mix it with Ashton's Consummate Gentleman.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigaman1979 View Post
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/...roduct_id=2000

I was adviced to buy this butera flake by a friend whose reviews I really appreciate.

Well, it's a McClelland tobacco, and they make some fine flakes so it's hard to go wrong.

Some of my Favorites:
McClelland Dark Star, Christmas Cheer, Blackwoods.
Sam Gawith 1792, Best Brown Flake, Full Virginia flake, Navy Flake, Chocolate flake
Gawith Hoggarth: Ennerdale, Dark flake (both unscented and scented)
Orlik Golden Slice.
Escudo.

Are you a virginia fan? Burley, Latakia? Knowledge of your tastes would allow me to narrow it.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Dag... there are a lot of flake tobaccos. That's like asking which is your favorite piece of pepperoni on the last 50 pizzas I ate. Fortunately, a few (dozen) stand out.

Stokkebye Escudo
MacBaren Navy Flake
Samuel Gawith 1792, Sam's Flake, Chocolate Flake and Best Brown
Gawith & Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake
Erinmore Flake

... and so on.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
TheatyHannington
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
TheatyHannington is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the question and great responses. I added a couple of these to my latest order to give a taste.
TheatyHannington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Interesting to read this now, after a few months. Thought I'd make a comment.

What McClelland often calls a flake, is actually more a broken flake. What I mean is that when you compare it to flakes from other companies, there is a huge difference.

G&H, Sam Gawith, Stokkebye, Esoterica, Rattrays, and others have flakes that come in whole and intact, though varied in size, of tobaccos "flakes" cut off the original brick. It is very obvious that they are flakes.

On the other hand, McClelland appears to take their whole slices from their bricks and break their flakes into smaller pieces. They are not cut into square pieces, but broken up into smaller "flakes" of varying sizes. Hence, I have come to call them broken flakes rather than flakes.

Just some random musings.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Interesting to read this now, after a few months. Thought I'd make a comment.

What McClelland often calls a flake, is actually more a broken flake. What I mean is that when you compare it to flakes from other companies, there is a huge difference.

G&H, Sam Gawith, Stokkebye, Esoterica, Rattrays, and others have flakes that come in whole and intact, though varied in size, of tobaccos "flakes" cut off the original brick. It is very obvious that they are flakes.

On the other hand, McClelland appears to take their whole slices from their bricks and break their flakes into smaller pieces. They are not cut into square pieces, but broken up into smaller "flakes" of varying sizes. Hence, I have come to call them broken flakes rather than flakes.

Just some random musings.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
I am of the same thinking. I have often heard other call them broken flake as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

And then there are flakes from C&D and the other blends they produce which are indeed flakes, but are not pressed as tightly and easily break apart, sometimes when just being picked up. These usually end up being broken flakes.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
And then there are flakes from C&D and the other blends they produce which are indeed flakes, but are not pressed as tightly and easily break apart, sometimes when just being picked up. These usually end up being broken flakes.
Esoterica Penzance has that same consistency, as do the "flakes" which come from Hearth & Home. Most often, I have seen the called "cakes" or "kakes" because of their consistency.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
HermionE
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
HermionE is on a distinguished road

According to the AP, the FDA has been delaying the approval process of thousands of brand new tobacco goods for the last year and a half. Have you heard about this issue? Big Tobacco says the delay is pointless since smoking products have not changed much. But anti-tobacco groups say the industry is already ignoring the process.

Last edited by pnoon; 01-15-2013 at 11:31 PM.
HermionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #15
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermionE View Post
According to the AP, the FDA has been delaying the approval process of thousands of brand new tobacco goods for the last year and a half. Have you heard about this issue? Big Tobacco says the delay is pointless since smoking products have not changed much. But anti-tobacco groups say the industry is already ignoring the process.
Say no to spam.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
blendtobac
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
blendtobac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Esoterica Penzance has that same consistency, as do the "flakes" which come from Hearth & Home. Most often, I have seen the called "cakes" or "kakes" because of their consistency.
All of the pressed tobaccos in the Hearth & Home line are crumble cakes, not flakes. Flakes are made from (usually) deveined whole leaf whereas crumble cakes are made from cut tobacco. We don't have the equipment and easy access to whole leaf, so we have to make cakes.

Russ
blendtobac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I think Penzance is referred to as a "mottled flake". As far as others, I really love the FVF and the PS Navy Flake.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Macbarren Old Dark Fired is another good flake
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
hazydat620
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chad(choad, schoad)
Trading: (10)
hazydat620 is on a distinguished road

SG Kendall Cream, G&H Ennerdale my two favorites, oh and for the latakia fan Germains special latakia flake.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #20
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
I think Penzance is referred to as a "mottled flake"...
At my end of the pasture we call the Penzance texture a "crumble cake", for it's namesake, Krumble Kake. I am told Krumble Kake and Pez are on in the same outside the packaging.