Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #41
tx_tuff

Default Re: I'm Very Proud To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown View Post
Maybe I am wrong, but I only feel good if I am supporting a B&M that is run by decent people. Just because they have chosen to sell cigars does not mean that they are upstanding citizens or deserving of my hard earned cash. I have had an owner of one cigar shop tell me mold on his cigars was plume and the owner of another try and convince me that some unbanded cigars were habanos that his friend in Canada sent him (which they obviously were not). Neither one of these stores gets my money. I would rather buy cigars online or from someone here.
Are these the 2 main shops in Sugarland? I think there are more then a few great B&Ms in Houston.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #42
tx_tuff

I like to buy most of my cigars from local B&Ms but if I see a deal or cigar I can not get there I will buy online.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #43
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I buy mostly online these days, but that is due to the fact that most of the shops in SA have an air pretentiousness that has to be cut with a knife. There is one exception, and I do frequent that shop occasionally.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #44
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
Are these the 2 main shops in Sugarland? I think there are more then a few great B&Ms in Houston.
Of course there are great B&Ms in Houston and I buy cigars from them when I am in the area. My point was that I don't support B&Ms just because they are local. If I have a bad experience in one, I probably won't go back.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #45
swh127
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
swh127 is on a distinguished road

I support my B&M every chance I get. Its an older gentleman and his wife as their retirement job. He understands that he can't beat the online stores due to the volume they can do and the rent/electricity he has to pay downtown. So to combat this, he stocks boutique cigars that you can't find online.

I do buy a lot of the cigars I smoke online but I also visit the store at least 3 times a week. I love the environment and the conversation. Where else can a 18 year old college student hang out with industry professionals, college professors, firefighters and a local judge or two
swh127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #46
tx_tuff

Quote:
Of course there are great B&Ms in Houston and I buy cigars from them when I am in the area. My point was that I don't support B&Ms just because they are local. If I have a bad experience in one, I probably won't go back.
I agree with that 100%! I have had one tell me the same thing about mold, but it was an out of town place. Have been to another here in town that has mold on a few and the guy just leaves them out like no big deal. I don't get it.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #47
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsetGO View Post
I can't remember the last time I bought online. I try to support the local guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
And that's why your wife hates cigars.....
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #48
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I don't have you beat, Volusianator, but I DO have a long-standing animus against more than a few of em,
and I have not ordered since.....about the middle of October. Before that it was about every two months,
and before that it was every payday, lol.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #49
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Maybe I am wrong, but I only feel good if I am supporting a B&M that is run by decent people. Just because they have chosen to sell cigars does not mean that they are upstanding citizens or deserving of my hard earned cash.
Same hold true for online retailers!

Quote:
I have had an owner of one cigar shop tell me mold on his cigars was plume
That's happened with online stores as well!

Quote:
the owner of another try and convince me that some unbanded cigars were habanos that his friend in Canada sent him (which they obviously were not).
I would bet if you looked back in the archives here, the same has happened on this very forum too.

Quote:
I would rather buy cigars online or from someone here.
And that's the cool thing, it's just like what cigars you smoke, ones you love, others may hate, and you're both right. I'm not condoning buying cigars online, just saying that when the day comes that you want to go to that B&M, sit down and enjoy a cigar, only to find out that they couldn't pay the bills and went out of business, keep in mind your willingness to save a buck to buy online.

I've bought from both of course, and I'm sure I'll buy online again in the future, but I will do everything I can do to support my local small business man, it's where I get my truck worked on, where I get my shoes, where I buy my cigars. I'm just trying to do my part.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:52 AM   #50
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I have never ordered any NC online. Support my local B&M.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:43 AM   #51
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
WOW!! Can't make that same comment.
I Can't Either, But I "Need" To In 2011!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #52
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

I don't shop at my local enough, the tax is unbearable. I do however stop at B&M's in NH whenever I am passing through. I definitely prefer supporting the locals, even if they aren't local to me.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #53
Big_Ern
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trading: (1)
Trinidad
Big_Ern is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: I'm Very Proud To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
But $45 in a store at a time for less than 10 hurts the pocket sometimes.
I am lucky if I can get 2 for $45. I was in North Dakota and was so happy about the prices I was skipping to the cash register. even my wife said they were cheaper in the U.S.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #54
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ern View Post
I am lucky if I can get 2 for $45. I was in North Dakota and was so happy about the prices I was skipping to the cash register. even my wife said they were cheaper in the U.S.
Canada has by far the most ridiculous prices I have seen. Too bad, I really like the LCDH in Montreal but the prices just aren't worth the effort to go up and smoke more.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #55
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by swh127 View Post
I support my B&M every chance I get. Its an older gentleman and his wife as their retirement job. He understands that he can't beat the online stores due to the volume they can do and the rent/electricity he has to pay downtown. So to combat this, he stocks boutique cigars that you can't find online.

I do buy a lot of the cigars I smoke online but I also visit the store at least 3 times a week. I love the environment and the conversation. Where else can a 18 year old college student hang out with industry professionals, college professors, firefighters and a local judge or two
Couldn't agree with you more.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #56
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Just to add insult to injury, not only do we have the highest taxes on cigars in the United States, we cannot smoke in any of them......
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #57
Krish the Fish
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Krishna
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Krish the Fish is on a distinguished road

I can't remember the last time I bought NCs online, but I can say I haven't bought any since the summer. The only exception is buying from a local store (New Havana) that does business online.

I even bought a box of Anejo 49s from my B&M for like $316, knowing that I could have gotten a better deal online. However, even though my B&M owner doesn't quite know how to maximize his business, I like the guys that work there (owner included) and all the "regulars" are super cool as well. I want to support the place to keep a cool place to smoke in cbus alive.
Krish the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote