Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
mariogolbee

Thumbs up Los Blancos Nine Churchill Review

Appearance

The cigar is 7 ½ x 52. The wrapper is sheen, milk chocolate in color, and is toothy with many very thin veins. Los Blancos did not attempt to spare tobacco for this stick as it is packed so well that there is absolutely no give to the touch, and at the same time, not a single soft spot. I wonder if I will be able to get a decent draw. It is extremely well constructed; So much so that it is difficult to see where the wrapper overlaps. It smells very strong and the pre-light draw tastes of an oaky sweetness.

First 3rd

My concerns of a tight draw subside as the Nine gives me a perfect balance of resistance and give. It draws just enough to allow me to savor the flavors it has to offer, the first of which complement the pre-light draw with that same oaky sweetness and a hint of dry cereal. At close to the inch mark the flavors begin to develop. I now taste the oak, and then a spice just at the end of the finish which I can’t quite put my finger on. It’s almost like white pepper with a sweet hint of vanilla. Whatever it is, it’s delicious and smooth. Then again, the entire first 3rd has been smooth and without a single hint of harshness.

Second 3rd

This portion does not show much change for a while, which is to my delight. The complex combination of sweet oak to this mystery spice is enough to keep my attention well in check. Nearing the three inch mark I now notice the oak abating to sweet oats with a touch of freshly polished black leather. The leather absconds and is replaced by freshly baked French bread, only to return again, while the oats remain. Marvelous!

Final 3rd

At this point the French bread returns and the oat-like finish changes matures to a buttery Cream of Wheat finish which is most pronounced through the sinuses on a second exhale just after the retrohale. After a short while I begin to taste buttery sweet cake with the slightest hint of candies cherry. This reminds me of a cherry cobbler yogurt I ate recently, but with a hint of cinnamon. Then I can detect flavors which remind me of yellow cake with a hint of spicy rum and vanilla.

How it smokes…

The ash is mostly white, with grey rings an occasional dark grey ring from each puff, and a fine aggregation of gain. The ash held on tight for a little over an inch and only fell due to my placing the cigar onto the ashtray’s stirrup too forcefully.
The burn line is mostly sharp, although angled for half of the cigar. I only had to touch it up once. The smoke is blue and plentiful, not too little, not too much.

Final thoughts

It should be noted that I usually drink coffee, root beer, Mexican Coke, tea, or at least water while smoking a cigar. I have not found the need, nor the desire to do so with the Nine. There is no lingering bitterness on my palette. At the midpoint I did begin to notice a very pleasant, almost creamy, clean tobacco aftertaste which was most welcomed, along with a mild spice in the sinuses, also welcomed. The spicy “aftertaste” in the sinuses would give way to a creamy oat “aftertaste” when I took more time between puffs. This remained true for the extent of my experience. This leads me to believe that great care was taken in the aging process of the tobacco before production.
If I were to compare this cigar to any others I have smoked I would say it reminds me of a BOTL Esencia with hints of a Liga Privada JD4 and a Liga Privada T52. This is fantastic smoke and one of the best I have smoked in months. I loved it and will certainly look to purchasing more in the near future. I thank sterlingcigarman and Los Blancos for affording me the tremendous opportunity of reviewing this splendid cigar. I nubbed it down to about a half inch.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Los Blancos Nine Churchill Review

Great review of a great cigar.

I smoked a robusto I was gifted the other day and also made the connection in taste to the Esencia.

I have a few Nine Lanceros resting that I can't wait to get too.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review Mario. Might have to torch the one I've been sitting on.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
Great review of a great cigar.

I smoked a robusto I was gifted the other day and also made the connection in taste to the Esencia.

I have a few Nine Lanceros resting that I can't wait to get too.
Thank you, Mac and Rick. I did let this one rest for at least a few months in order to give it a fair review. I'm sure those lanceros you have waiting will be ridiculously good when you get to them. I can't wait to pick up some more of these.

Last edited by mariogolbee; 02-12-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Awesome Review
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Thanks for the review! This just adds to the many great things I've heard about this cigar--I'm going to have to pick one up!