Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Litto Gomez Small Batch #3

Litto Gomez Small Batch #3
6.75X52
This is a Dominican puro, with everything grown on the La Flor Dominicana farms.

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: What a great looking cigar! The Colorado maduro wrapper veritably glistens with oil. I love how the color isn’t entirely uniform, but has light variations which follow the small wrapper veins, giving it a barely noticeable mottled effect. It also sports a gorgeous band that accentuates the wrapper.
Score for aesthetics: 4.9

2) Pre-light Construction: A solid stick with no soft spots... Ooops! You gotta be kidding me. Please, Lord... Oh no, what a klutz. Yes, I dropped it and it landed a about a 65 degree angle to the floor and there is a split that runs a good 2.5 inches. This is not a good thing. Once I snipped it, I noticed that even the wrapper by the head was also having issues, this bad boy has suffered some serious trauma.
Score for Pre-light construction: 4.8 (solid construction on the other one I have)

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: OK, I started out not expecting a whole lot. I figured I’d get maybe an inch or two and then it would explode, unravel, and generally be unsmokable. Well, it did have some burn issues brought on the by the blunt trauma of cement floor from about 6 feet up, but not as bad as I expected. It did require some touch-ups to keep the burn even as it slowing expanded, but it was reasonable. I also think it burned a bit quicker than it might have were I not to have clumsily abused it. Even with the expansion, the ash held quite firmly for a good inch and a half. This resiliency of this cigar to stand up to flame and a good hour and forty-five minutes of smoking shows the quality of the tobacco and the stellar construction.
Score for post-light construction: 4.9

4) Flavor and strength: This is not a cigar for the faint of heart, it is full bodied, but it is so with class. I hate in-your-face-strong cigars that are so for no reason, this isn’t. A bold sweetness and spice (allspice?) kicked this stick off, and in the background was something fruity, but I am not sure what kind, but it wasn’t citrus. A complexity was woven with some nutmeg, pecan, and cedar interwoven in a bold complexity. The flavor grew, faded, came back, and were constantly changing. I am not sure how much of this was due to the unraveling nature of this poor saps limited smoky existence. I do know this, I loved it from beginning to end.

Score for flavor and strength: 4.9

5) Aftertaste/Finish: I like a finish that lingers sweetly, this did that with some slight spice, exquisite.
Score for aftertaste: 4.6

6) Aroma: I was smoking this outside, so I didn’t get all that I’d normally enjoy getting in the form of aroma, but here the cedar came more to the fore and this is where some sweetness with hints of nutmeg and leather seemed to shine.
Score for aroma: 4.5

7) General Comments: I was impressed how this cigar took the abuse I accidently subjected it to, and came out like a champ. With a tear running along one side and gapping a good 1/16th of an inch into the cigar, I was astounded that it didn’t fall apart in my hands. I’d love to buy more of these, but I won’t, only because I am a tightwad. I am glad I got to experience this one and am looking forward to the other two I have sitting in my ‘dor. It is also my hope that they are not subjected to the same clumsiness on my part. I enjoyed the Small Batch #1 that I had a bit over a year ago, and some say that this one doesn’t stand up to it. Well, I don’t know if that is true or not. I think this is all of SB#1, but what role did the abuse have to play in the flavors. Maybe I’ll revisit this review and update it with after smoking another. But don’t expect it to happen anytime soon.
Overall score for the cigar: 4.8
Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice
Default Re: Litto Gomez Small Batch #3

Damn nice review and a damn nice cigar to boot!! Still have a few of the LG 1's & 2's but in my book the latest offering is the cream of the crop.
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn67 View Post
Damn nice review and a damn nice cigar to boot!! Still have a few of the LG 1's & 2's but in my book the latest offering is the cream of the crop.
Thanks, I think.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Nice Review, Todd!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent review Todd!!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Nice Review, Todd!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Excellent review Todd!!
Thanks guys, love doing reviews. Especially enjoyable when someone reads them and gets something useful out of it.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Todd thats a great review man. I have got to find some of these. I think I saw a certain Chicago retailer that had some. I may have to call them.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:03 AM   #8
MarioF

Great review, just bought one yesterday and will smoke it in a couple of weeks. It is a very good looking cigar.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
Todd thats a great review man. I have got to find some of these. I think I saw a certain Chicago retailer that had some. I may have to call them.
Yes, Jack Schwartz has them. To me, because of the $17 price tag, this is one of those "try-one-once-if-at-all" cigar, for I cannot afford more than one. I did go against all reason and got 3 this time, but when they're gone, they are gone. I think this is the only cigar over $15 I've done that on. Normally I try one and that's it, but because of the previous releases and trying one each, I knew that these would be special. So, 1 to smoke, and 2 to put away to save for something special - Packer 2011 Super Bowl? Yeah, that'd be a good reason.

It is interesting that some of the special releases have a similar price tag, but I rarely buy them. Like the Tats. I haven't had a Frank or a Face, I got the Drac and the Boris, but wasn't really excited about the Drac and the Boris still sits. I wasn't a big fan of the Tat red or black tubos (which someone gave to me), so I didn't see the reason to spend the money on them. Other special Tat releases I also haven't gotten since to my tastes they are hit or miss, and I'm not spending $10+ on a cigar I might not really enjoy. In the same way, I have had a few Viajes, nothing impressed me, so all the special releases, while tempting, were not enticing enough to make me pull the trigger.

I love Padrons, but I don't buy '64s or '26s till I can get them for around $10 a stick. As for the ones over $20 a stick??? If I wouldn't have been gifted them, I wouldn't have had those to try.

Why I went on that rambling excursion of diarrhea of the keyboard, I have no idea. It is typed, so it will be sent.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #10
zappaFREAK
The Black Page

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
zappaFREAK is on a distinguished road

Great review. I may have to try these.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

Why I went on that rambling excursion of diarrhea of the keyboard, I have no idea. It is typed, so it will be sent.
See now you have to go clean that up.

I agree on the pricing on a lot of the special releases these days. I like to have a treat now and then. I for sure will not be running out to get a huge box of these. But like you 2 or 3. I never get just one in the off chance that it is a bad stick. I fell if I am going to spend the money I should give the cigar the best chance at success so I normally hold judgement till I have had 2 or 3 for that reason.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Had one last Friday thanks to bobarian. Really good smoke. Started off with a bit of that Dominican flavor I don't care for, but then settled into a really great smoke. Lasted about 2.5 hours too. What really struck me though was the wrapper on the thing. It really looks like leather, simply oily and gorgeous. I will probably never smoke another one due to the price, but I'm really glad I got the chance.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review Todd!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Damn you for this review. Really.
The SB#1 was one of those smokes that totally impressed me. It's what made me get hooked on LGD stuff. Then I got you hooked. I suppose this is payback?
That sweetness you mentioned is what really stood out with the #1. The body and flavors were so full and complete and perfectly suited to my taste. You hit the nail on the head with "the strength is there, but it's there for something". The first one I had kicked my ass royal, and it was right at the peak of my "smoke the strongest, grossest cigars I can find" phase.
The one thing I disagree with is putting them away. I honestly think they can only lose essence and flavor from here. Smoke them, my brother. Perfect doesn't get any better than perfect, and I can only see them going downhill from here.
I'm already sick to my stomach thinking about buying these. Damn you again. I'll tell Lisa who's fault it is, you can bet.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Damn you for this review. Really.
The SB#1 was one of those smokes that totally impressed me. It's what made me get hooked on LGD stuff. Then I got you hooked. I suppose this is payback?
That sweetness you mentioned is what really stood out with the #1. The body and flavors were so full and complete and perfectly suited to my taste. You hit the nail on the head with "the strength is there, but it's there for something". The first one I had kicked my ass royal, and it was right at the peak of my "smoke the strongest, grossest cigars I can find" phase.
The one thing I disagree with is putting them away. I honestly think they can only lose essence and flavor from here. Smoke them, my brother. Perfect doesn't get any better than perfect, and I can only see them going downhill from here.
I'm already sick to my stomach thinking about buying these. Damn you again. I'll tell Lisa who's fault it is, you can bet.
Wow, all the vitriol!

I was given a Small Batch #1 about a year and a half ago at a herf over at 14holestogie's house by Tristan and loved it, but didn't have to worry about getting any more because there weren't any.

Then you came along and bragged up LGDs and Coronados, sending me to go back into the La Flor Dominicana realm.

Interestingly, they came out with their first two lines at the end of the '90s and they didn't really impress then, and I haven't had the desire to go there. I did try their Ligero and Double Ligero lines, but they didn't really thrill me either. I haven't had the Cameroon Cabinets, the Salomones, or any limited editions other than the Small Batch. I did try the Air Benders, and they are the only ones with the LFD band that entices me to get a box of them - although I have resisted the temptation thus far.

As for putting them away, well, maybe we disagree. Like I said, if we (Packers) get to the Super Bowl, that would be my smoke.

As for Lisa knowing about it, she already probably curses my name for the stuff you've told her that I am to blame for.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #16
bajaraider

It has been a long time since I have experienced a Litto Gomez.
Excellent review. I will have to try to find some around here.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

I love this stick!...thanks Todd!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #18
NorcalMark
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
NorcalMark will become famous soon enough

Great review on a stellar cigar
NorcalMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
staminator

I loved the review! Do you have pictures?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #20
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by staminator View Post
I loved the review! Do you have pictures?
Nope, sorry, no pictures. I dropped the cigar in the basement, onto a cement floor. I was looking at the stick, figuring out if I wanted to bring it ice fishing with me, when I dropped it. It landed on the foot at a 65 to 75 degree angle to the floor as I watched it, almost like it went into slow motion. It bent as it hit the floor and the foot expanded.

I knew immediately this was going to be ugly. I almost cried as I stooped to pick it up, knowing what I'd see when I looked at it. I put it in my travel humi and decided it would be my first cigar. I loaded up a few others, thinking that I might not even be able to smoke this one.

Yeah, a camera might have been a good idea, but I'm not wired to think that way.