Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Litto Gomez Americano

Before I go to far, no, this isna't a stick from Shilala.

Litto Gomez Americano (5.75X46) 2009

I picked up this cigar as a single from an online retailer with my last order from them.

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: A delectable Colorado wrapper, lightly glistening, tenderly embraces this stick. With the elegance of the embossed band, this is a cigar that definitely turns the head. Good looking!

Score for aesthetics: 4.6

2) Pre-light Construction: I like the feel of this in the hand, it is a rather heavy cigar. It has a sweet pre-light smell and taste with a snipped, dry pull. OK, I thought a beer and a cigar after archery league would be nice, as I’m looking at this stick, a buddy comes up from behind with a slap on the shoulder, “How’d you shoot tonight, padre?” And the cigar flies out of my hand, across the table and onto the floor. I cringe as I go to pick it up as I saw it land on the foot at an angle that allowed it to bounce twice. The foot has mushroomed a bit, as I think that this should be an interesting smoke.

Score for Pre-light construction: 4.5 (2.5 after the drop)

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: As expected, there is a bit of a problem at the beginning, the wrapper, being loose, needs to be touched up for the first inch, inch & a quarter, but that’s not a fault of construction. Throughout, this has an easy burn that holds an interesting grey-white ash that, despite the ugly nature (I think it had internal bruising from the fall), holds a good inch plus. The second half of this cigar has a firmer ash.

Score for post-light construction: I’m not going to judge it because of the abuse it took.

4) Flavor and strength: I know people talk of this as a full-bodied and strong cigar, OK, I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I didn’t find it all that strong. As for full-bodied, hmmm, easy to snork, very smooth. There are sweet spiciness predominates, but the spice is not overpowering. Wonderfully complex, I get hints of walking in a maple woods as the sap is running. There are also other flavors that tantalizingly tempt me to savor the rich flavors, trying to put descriptions to them. It kept growing in richness and complexity, with the sweet and spice competing for dominance. It did keep me interested till I nubbed it, with a few strange looks and comments, “Hey, you want a roach clip?”

Score for flavor and strength: 4.9

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Pleasant. But to be honest, I didn’t pay much attention to it. So, I’m going to refrain from comment. I’d like to glowingly say some things, but that’d be a lie. While I got the flavors and aroma, I just don’t remember the finish. Sorry!

Score for aftertaste: N/A

6) Aroma: I loved the smell of this, even got a comment, “That doesn’t smell bad - for a cigar.” Here is where the “sweet” dominated with the spice playing sidekick. Very nice!

Score for aroma: 4.8

7) General Comments: You know, people say these are like Opus. If they are, they must be smoking different Opi than I am. If only the Opus line aspired to be all that this stick was. It went very well with the New Glarus Spotted Cow I was drinking. I wish they weren’t as expensive as they are so that I could afford these on a more regular basis. I have tried to enjoy the LFD Double Ligero line, and I was told the LG line was as strong or more - I didn’t see it. Every LFD DL I have smoked has left me less than enthusiastically impressed. Yeah, they are strong, but they lack complexity and much of anything in regard to interesting flavors. As this was my experience, I was hesitant to try the LG line. I was gifted a couple, a Small Batch 1 or 2 that was outstanding, one of the top 5 I smoked in ‘09, and then a Cubano which was also astounding.
Overall score for the cigar: 4.8

8) Recommendation: Highly Recommended
Old 03-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Litto Gomez Americano

Great review Rev...thanks for sharing.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review Rev.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Nice review; I've really been wanting to try these, but my local guy does not have them, and they do look a little pricey. Next time Tampa Humidor does a 10% deal, I'm going to get a few.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
cigarz

Nice review Rev. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review Rev.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Nice review Rev. This is one of my favorite cigars. They definitely don't taste like there is a high vitamin N level but I feel they do have a lot of kick. It just isn't as obvious because it is so well balanced. I smoked one on a relatively empty stomach and when I stood up I was a little weak in the knees.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Those things rock out, Todd. I just scored a box of 09 Vintage LGD Americano MADUROS.
I haven't tried them yet. I can't hardly wait.