Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Little Havana Overrun 3 toro

This is another Holts exclusive cigar by Don Pepin Garcia, there are many more like the Tatuaje Verocu #9, Fumadores, Casa Royale and Old Henry. I guess it pays to own both the Ashton brand and Holts and have Don Pepin blend and make all the new Ashton cigars. Not that I blame the people behind Ashton and Holts, if I was in their shoes I would probably do the same. After smoking the torpedo I wanted more, so before my trip to Florida late last year I asked one of my friends from Philly, who would come down to Florida too, to bring me a bundle of the Little Havana Overrun toro, and he did.

The first thing I notice is that the cigar doesn't have a band. The chocolate brown wrapper is shiny because of the oil and has a lot of veins. The wrapper feels silky. The construction feels good and the cigar has a mild barnyard smell. This 6x50 toro has a good and mild peppery predraw.

I taste a sweet coffee with pepper, full but smooth, and I also taste some wood. The smooth flavors are a bit weird too, I get a little bit of chocolate but it isn't a normal chocolate flavor with some pepper and again, a strange, wood flavor. The exact flavors are hard to describe.

The white pepper slowly grows stronger but fades away soon after that. The cigar gets a little bit of a vegetable flavor, a flavor which I can describe either. Halfway the flavors change, I get wood with herbs and near the end even a minty freshness.

I enjoyed this cigar for ninety minutes. The draw and the burn are good. I got a decent amount of thin smoke. The ash is light colored and firm. The cigar is full flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Next time I go to the USA I will bring back a few bundles.

Appearance: 6 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10