Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Outlaw God
John 3:16

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (2)
Outlaw God is on a distinguished road
Default What brand cigars are not sold on the web?

What dose B&M stores have that I'm missing?

I'm spoiled by Cigarbid and others and also not paying taxes out of state
Thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What brand cigars are not sold on the web?

I can't think of any Cigar brands that only B&M's carry, but I could be wrong. There will certainly be certain lines from brands that are in stores only.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Esencia.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Alot of B&M's have their house blends you can't buy online. I know Outlaw cigar has a bunch.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

B&Ms also typically offer a lounge to enjoy your smoke. There can be a sense of pride gained when you support a local business as well. You may meet some great BOTL and start some new friendships there on occasion too. Many places have house blends as well(as mentioned before). You can score boxes and try out accessories too. While many good deals can be found online, online sales can never completely replace the experience of visiting a really high quality B&M. When I was heavily into NCs I used to buy my boxes online and my singles at a B&M.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 06-28-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
B&Ms also typically offer a lounge to enjoy your smoke. There can be a sense of pride gained when you support a local business as well. You may meet some great BOTL and start some new friendships there on occasion too. Many places have house blends as well(as mentioned before). You can score boxes and try out accessories too. While many good deals can be found online, online sales can never completely replace the experience of visiting a really high quality B&M. When I was heavily into NCs I used to buy my boxes online and my singles at a B&M.
The only beef I have with B&M is they have the mentality to store there cigars at 70-72% RH and smoking there can be frustrating getting the full potential from the stick, but good points on friendships new
thanks
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw God View Post
The only beef I have with B&M is they have the mentality to store there cigars at 70-72% RH and smoking there can be frustrating getting the full potential from the stick, but good points on friendships new
thanks

Then bring and smoke your own while taking the ones you just bought home to let them drop in moisture.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone remember the "JFR" (just for retail) cigars someone was making back about 5 years ago? I can't remember who it was.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

It is a well known fact that all makers save their best cigars for B&M's. Only their inferior sticks are sold online.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

I'm aware of only two.
LA Aurora "Broadway" and Alec Bradley "New York" are supposedly available only at B&Ms in NY. They are LEs made by those two companies to benefit NY tobacconists in the wake of the ruinous increase in NY cigar taxes to 75%. I've had the Broadway it's an excellent smoke.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Does anyone remember the "JFR" (just for retail) cigars someone was making back about 5 years ago? I can't remember who it was.
Casa Fernandez does now

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
They still are available at some B&Ms, I believe it was Tobacco Tropical that was/is making them.

There are a few other B&M exclusive lines the manufacturers have tried over time but I believe that trend may be dwindling
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Some of the higher end Diamond Crowns like the Julius Caesar and Fuentes like Casa Fuente can be difficult locate online sometimes.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Another nice thing about B&Ms is you can dig around in there walk-in and occasionaly find a jewel that was discoed or HTF online.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw God View Post
thanks

I asked the owners of two B&Ms that I go to about that. The response I got in my mind made sense and their response were almost identical.

The reason for the higher humidity is that the door is being opened constantly from 9am to 10pm M-Th, 8am - 12am Fr & Sat and 12p - 6p on Sun. That is a ton of people in and out, in and out, allowing the humidity to escape and temp fluctuation. Made sense to me and I have never really had but maybe two handfuls of cigars I felt were over humidified. If they were, I have a hell of a lot of other choices there.

My $0.03.

J.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
It is a well known fact that all makers save their best cigars for B&M's. Only their inferior sticks are sold online.
Uh-oh...light fuse and get away!

Old 06-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEL View Post
I asked the owners of two B&Ms that I go to about that. The response I got in my mind made sense and their response were almost identical.

The reason for the higher humidity is that the door is being opened constantly from 9am to 10pm M-Th, 8am - 12am Fr & Sat and 12p - 6p on Sun. That is a ton of people in and out, in and out, allowing the humidity to escape and temp fluctuation. Made sense to me and I have never really had but maybe two handfuls of cigars I felt were over humidified. If they were, I have a hell of a lot of other choices there.

My $0.03.

J.
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation to me. I keep my humidors at 65% but don't mind smoking something I just bought in the B&M that was stored at 70-72%
Old 06-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
It's a well known fact the getting great cigars online you can get the best cigars in the world, not to mention B&M for example can only get Arturo Fuente Añejo's twice a year while you can get them online all year long
Old 06-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

One of the shops that I frequent has a few special blends that they receive, and I've never seen them anywhere else. They also get a really good cigar that is freshly rolled for them in Florida, and then shipped directly to the store. You can smoke them right away and it is fun having a cigar that was rolled with the past couple weeks. I've also bought one and stored it a few months and it was interesting to go back a compare a fresh one to the one that has been sitting for a while.

I'm starting to develop relationships with people at the B&M I frequent and am finding it very rewarding. They are getting to know my tastes and always have something cool to recommend.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #20
FUEL
Just 6 days...

Trading: (0)
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation to me. I keep my humidors at 65% but don't mind smoking something I just bought in the B&M that was stored at 70-72%
If I could get a damn hygrometer to take accurate readings I would as well. Thread forthcoming...